1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fed Up With Mother In Law

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by rosylife, Dec 13, 2018.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@rosylife,

For how long are you married? It is time you established your boundaries. Luckily you don't physically stay with her. When you interact with her the next time be firm about your likes and dislikes and if she tries to force you for anything, firmly state what you want. You don't have to be rude or disrespectful but be firm. She may throw tantrums at first but she will soon understand her limits and back off. She should not be allowed to interfere so much in your lives.

If your husband can, it is better he speaks. But the way she has overstepped her limits (acc. to your post), it looks like your husband doesn't oppose her. So, you must fight your battles. Give a mild 'dosage' that should do the trick.

I think it would be better you convey your feelings over the phone before meeting her in person. As and when she visits, let her be treated as a guest and not as an owner.

2. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

Three years now. I don’t know till now , Even after getting hurt this much , I never told her that she is hurting me. I thought she might hurt more if she comes to know I am getting hurt more. So what should I tell her.Should I tell her that I am old enough to take my decisions? My husband says if I say that his mom will make his dad give full inheritance to his siblings. Also now they are forcing my husband to buy a land that we never saw...His parents are saying its cheap. I am not involved in any of the land talks and I have to ask my husband to tell me .

Its been 3 years now. I don’t want her to visit me . How can I convince my husband.

3. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Let your husband know that your freedom and dignity is more important than his inheritance . Don't keep monetary expectation from others.
    Let your MIL know that many things changed , you don't have to do whatever compromises she did , times have changed, and u too have a difficult life in other ways Next time politely deal with issues at the time of occurence .don't wait to get worse .nip it in the bud . Explain her nicely that your parents are important to u just like she is important to her son .convey her thatt she must change her attitude about women , and men and women are equal so u will alao be giving imp to your parents .

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  4. preeti6years

preeti6years Silver IL'ite

Yes my mil also said the same thing that she would take me to the gynaecologist and that too just one year after our marriage. She said I was irresponsible for not planning to have a child.
    You also mentioned that she keeps gossiping about you. Let her do it. Don't bother at all.
    As other posters also said be firm and polite initially. The idea is to make her to stay away from your personal boundary and not hurting her. If you make her to stay away from ur personal boundary you will have a great time a little peaceful life than what you get by hurting her. So choose your battles wisely. Convey your point firmly and just walk away from there or give the phone to your husband if you are away and move out.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Be yourself and sets the boundary.

You are married to dh not her. Know the difference. Dont allow her to enter into you personal life with dh. Just listen, but dont yield on things you cannot agree. You can act deaf, ignore or be firm, say NO if needed- whatever works for you, but be respectful. Let her know very well what you like and dont like. If you want to go home, go and spend time there. Let her make tantrums but just dont give up. Once she knows that you wont listen for unnecessary intervention, she will stop . Till then believe in yourself, follow your mind. But give respect and always remember she is your DHS mother, not your mother. If you cannot agree with something, you can definitely tell her but in polite way.

If you yield to every thing they all take you for granted. Once you revolt in future, it create more issues. So decide your boundary now itself and don't allow anyone to intrude. No need to change who you are for some one else, if you do that you can never be happy.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  6. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

My husband said he will lose inheritance plus his relatives . Do you think I should ask help from FIL regarding MIL issue? All these happened while I was with my husband or alone with MIL. I tried to explain the change of times while she gossiped about her sister’s DIL to me. Even then she gave example of other DIL’s and said all others are obedient.

My MIL made me wash clothes next with hand next day of marriage though they had two washing machines . At that time she said
    Some clothes have to be handwashed . Later On I learnt its enough to wash it in gentle.

She told me after one year that her MIL used to make her wash clothes after wedding, though they had a maid at her in laws house.

7. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I will try to let her know this time. Once I made my husband speak to her... he told her that I am responsible enough so she need not interfere in my matters. She still keeps on interfering and now my husband is saying I have to deal with it or oppose her on my own.

8. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

This incident happened last year.
    When I went with her to her brothers house , she told her sis in law that , I am dumb.
    She told her SIL that this girl doesn’t know that festivals should be celebrated in husbands house and not her house.
    How fair is it? Why is it that I can’t celebrate feativals in my house or alternate between houses?

9. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

You should have told her that you don't think so. Festival is to celebrate and bring happiness. It is the custom in your place that everyone goes to their own houses too to celebrate festivals. Marriage doesn't mean that getting rid of ones own parents. How she may feel if her son don't come to her come. Even after marriage one should take care of their own parents. Its 21st century. You can tell her that you like to celebrate in both houses and that make you happy. That is what you wish to do and plan to do. No one can get rid of your parents from your life. IF MIL get rid of her parents , its her choice, but your choice is different. You are a wife, DIl bu daughter too. You need to consider your own parents happiness. Do you have any SIL?
    Be diplomatic and smart. But convey the message. Don't be scared of that.

10. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

No SIL at the moment. Also when I asked my husband once to protect me from his mothers rude comments he said if he does that his mom will hate him. So I am wondering that he doesn't mind me suffering , if his mom is in good terms with him.