1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

For Today, You Are All I Want

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Rakhii, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

A short story that has been going on in my mind :
    Roci woke up with a start at 3 AM. Her shift starts at 6 and she had only 3 hours to dress and be ready at the gate. Roci worked for a reputed airline as a flight attendant. Thanks to her job perks, she had the luxury to travel the world, see new places, shop and meet new people. Having born and brought up in Cancun, Mexico, she had a complexion that would make any woman envious.

As she quickly showered, her mind wandered; what could be in store for in the long haul flight from Cancun to London? She wondered. She quickly checked herself in the mirror and headed to airport. After the security check, she is all set to welcome the first set of passengers on board.

“Welcome to Air Cancun” chirped Roci at the passengers and soon she got busy with helping everyone around. With 25 years of experience under her belt, she worked efficiently, taking care of every small thing.

“Roci, we have one passenger that still didn’t board the plane”, the ground staff called Roci through intercom.

“Please continue to announce, his luggage is checked in. It will take more than 20 mins to identify his baggage and remove them” Roci sighed. This late coming never goes out of style, she said to herself. As she was just deciding to make a decision to remove the late-comers luggage, the intercom buzzes to announce that he has arrived and is now heading towards the aircraft.

“Ram”. She acknowledges and leads him to the almost empty First Class section. She fanatically tucks Ram’s baggage in the overhead compartment and buckled in just in time for takeoff. Soon they were airborne.

“There were delicate handmade chocolates in the bag” Ram said to Roci.

“oh”, she said and finally understanding his meaning after a few mins, “Oh! Don’t worry, I was careful with your luggage” smiled Roci. Having worked in the airline industry all her life, she knew how to get past the initial huff and puff and be polite to everyone, especially the first class passengers.

When Roci came over with the menu to ask Ram what he wanted to drink and if he would care for some almonds, he was fast asleep. She leaned over to close the window shutters so he can have some darkness around. As she did so, she got a whiff of the cologne Ram was wearing, Issey Miyaki. She stayed leaned with her hands outstretched for probably 2 more seconds suddenly remembering her dead boyfriend, the father of her 2 grown children. Her reverie however ended when Ram cleared his throat. Embarrassed, she stood suddenly and was ready to apologise. Thankfully Ram’s eyes were closed as he still appeared to be sleeping; though she thought there was a faint smile on his lips.

Ram slept for several hours straight. Finally when he woke up, he was fresh and ready to take the world.

“Hello Ram! I hope you slept well.” Said Roci to Ram.

“Morning errr.…”

“Roci and its actually evening in London. We should be landing in the next little while. Would you like me to bring you something to eat?” asked Roci.

“Oh, I must have spelt for a while” Ram said, more to himself than to Roci. “I would like some coffee please” said Ram

“How do you take your coffee?” Asked Roci.

“1 cream and 1 sugar”

“Here, I go you some fresh fruit as well” smiled Roci. Before she or he could say further, she was called back to the flight deck.

ANNOUNCEMENT: We received a notification that all flights heading to Heathrow, London International Airport will be redirected to other locations. We will not be landing in Heathrow today. We apologise for the inconvenience. We will be landing in Glasgow, Scotland. At this point we do not know the reason for redirection.

Immediately there was a lot of noise and commotion in the flight, angry sigh’s and a lot of shouting.

“Roci, is everything OK” asked Ram with concern in his voice.

“Actually, no. I do not believe so. We never had a situation where the flights are redirected so close to landing time, that too without telling us know why” replied Roci.

There was chaos everywhere in the flight and it fell in Roci’s hands to control the situation, calming everyone down and making sure the situation doesn’t escalate. She was the most senior person on-board and she got right to the difficult task of assuring the passengers that everything will be sorted out when they land in Glasgow.

Soon the Captain’s announcement came through: It is with immense sadness I announce the London is under attack. There are hundreds of fatalities. At this moment, the whole city is under lockdown. There is no ETA when the lockdown will be lift. Until further notice, no one can enter or exit the city. Cabin crew, prepare for landing”.

Amidst the chaos, crying and commotion, Roci thanked her smart captain in her head for making a smart choice of announcing about the disaster minutes before landing. That way, if any passenger has an adverse impact on his/her health, they are close to paramedics and any other help.

As soon as the plane landed, it was obvious that the airport is flooded with 100’s of other emergency landing aircrafts. There were passengers everywhere screaming in agony for their beloved city of London. There was barely room to walk.

Roci tried to keep up with the flight crew but in a sea of people, she soon lost track of where everyone was. Since she was dressed in her flight attendants cloths, a lot of people kept pushing her to answer their questions. She tried her best guiding people around as she was familiar with the airport. The rain of people continued to arrive and she could not perform any longer.

Ram on the other hand was as lost as the next person. There was no room to sit, no food in the food courts to buy; utter chaos everywhere. There was news that other major airports were under attack too. Knowing that he needs to distance himself from the airport, Ram started looking for exits. That’s when he spotted Roci heading towards the utility room.

“I didn’t know you had a second job” said Ram to Roci.

“Ha! I would have laughed if the circumstances were different” Smiled Roci.

“What a mess eh. I think it’s best to keep away from airports for the time being. I am thinking I will head out” Said ram to Roci.

“Oh”

“So, are you coming?” Asked Ram

“I…I guess. I don’t know what else to do”

Roci and Ram opened the utility room and were surprised to see that the airport was even more crowded than before. Slowly they cleared immigration, that seemed to go in a snail’s pace and exited the airport.

There were no cabs in sight. Luckily they left the check-in bags in the airport itself, so they can carry light. They made their way outside, took a local bus and went downtown.

“Roci, lets just check in to that Motel there before it gets full”

But they were too late. They didn’t have any luck in the next 16 places they went either. Finally they decided the Motels will not work.

“Ram, I know this area pretty well. If it’s alright with you, we can go to a higher end hotel. I know you can afford it as you bought a first class ticket. I know , I can. So, shall we?”

“Yes. Lets just find a place for the time being. And yes, I can afford it. Don’t worry about money” Said Ram.

She took them to Hotel Du Vin.

“Roci, its breathtakingly beautiful” Ram said looking around.

“I know right! The rooms are even better”

The only rooms available were the suites. So they took it.

“wow, this is luxury. I love it, good choice Roci” said Ram settling into one of the humongous couches. “You please take the bed, I will settle down in this room on the couch”

“Thank you Ram” saying this, Roci went to refresh and change.

“thanks for letting me go first, I badly needed to get out of my work cloths” said Roci.

After Ram refreshed, they ventured out into the city. It was 6 PM and because of the high alert in the city, they were advised to go back inside the hotel. They ended up in lobby. The restaurants were full and so they ended up in the bar.

“Just as well” they said to each other.

“Vodka Martini please, shaken not stirred” said Roci to the bar tender.

“Glenfiddich, neat please” said Ram.

They both silently sipped their drink for a few minutes. As the warmth of their drink slowly started to relax them, they started chatting.

“I still cant believe what’s happening in this country. Its extremely sad” said Ram.

“I was thinking the exact same thing. While the whole country has always been prone to attacks, I think it’s the first time that its happening nationwide and at such a large extent” said Roci.

“There are way too many political opinions about it but I cant help but wonder if the immigration policy has anything to do with it” said Ram

“Are you saying UK shouldn’t let refugees inside the country? Let’s be honest, there is no one here” said Roci

“No. What I am saying is, letting too many refugees without doing a proper background check will invite trouble sooner or later. Its not just one religion; its with any religion. You brought up Islam. I am assuming you did so because you suspect this was another one of the attacks. It could be. But it could also be some lunatic who opened fire in Vegas last month”. Said Ram.

“You know its an uphill battle. When there is a political war going on, how do you decide which one you will save (grant asylum) and which one would you decide can lose their life?” Said Roci.

“Well, I guess we both are lucky that we don’t have to make that call eh?” smiled Ram.

“true that! By the way, what do you do for a living? You already know what I do” said Roci

“We own a few farm lands from back in India. I am also a researcher. I study seeds and how they grow and what makes them grow better. Bascially a village man” smiled Ram

“Sitting here with you, you don’t seem like a village man to me. Not that anything is wrong with a village man; they are gorgeous unlike city boys…I don’t mean you are not gorgeous…ooff. Can I have a refill please” gushed Roci
    Ram chuckled. “I am not sure if I should ask….”
    “uh oh” said Roci

“ha! Funny. I noticed you were closing the window shutter and it took you longer than it should have. I was wondering why” said Ram

“Oh! I was hoping you were asleep”.

“It’s ok, you don’t have to answer it. I was just curious” said Ram.

“No no, its…how should I put it, its complicated” Said Roci

“I am sure I can keep up. we have all evening with no specific agenda” said Ram

“it’s the cologne you were wearing. Issey Miyake. My boyfriend, the father of my two children used to wear it” she said.

“Oh! And I reminded you of him. Do you miss him? Is he back home in Cancun?” asked Ram

“oh no. he passed away when my youngest was all but 2 years” she said.

“I am so sorry Roci. I didn’t know” said Ram, gently touching her hands.

“Its OK. It’s a long time ago. I was so close to you that for a minute I just needed that. I hope I didn’t creep you out” said Roci.

“not at all. As a matter of fact, you can avail the privilege anytime”….and they laughed together.

“ You said something about your kids, how old are they?” asked Ram

“ My oldest is 24 and my youngest is 20” she said and added, “I am 42 by the way, I know the wheels are spinning in your head to figure out my age” she laughed.

“Oh this Glenfiddich is coming in the way of masking my face” laughed Ram

“How about you Ram? Are you married?” She asked.

“No Roci and no, I don’t have kids either” Ram said, “it’s a long story why I didn’t, maybe another day”.

“Shall we head to the room and order room service? I am getting tired and it doesn’t look like we will get a table anytime soon at the restaurant” said Roci

“ya, lets” and to the bartender, “on the room please” Ram said. Roci noticed he left quite a large tip on the table.

Ram offered his hand and Roci gratefully accepted, for, she was too tired and she had 3 martinis without eating anything in over 12 hours. When they reached the suite, Ram said, “I cant believe I am sharing a room with a woman whom I have met less than 36 hours ago”.

“Oh my God Ram! That was supposed to be my line!” They both laughed.

“I am famished” Roci complained as they entered the room. Ram opened the mini-fridge and declared that there are enough snacks to feed a small army there. They both ate the delicately prepared pastries and passed out, Roci on the bed, Ram on the couch.

As the moon rose high above the sky, quietness filled the room. They both slept through the night until 8 AM the following morning.

“Good morning” whished Ram as Roci woke up.

“Oh hi…did you sleep ok?” asked Roci

“yes, thank you and you? I made coffee” Ram handed her a cup and she gratefully accepted it.

After they freshened up, they switched on the TV. The whole city was still under lockdown and on high alert.

“Roci, let’s just stay here until things settle down. You already informed your kids and I already informed my mom. We can easily afford this place; I don’t feel comfortable wandering outside” said Ram

“I agree. I just…I just don’t have any cloths Ram. I don’t have my bags with me” complained Roci.

“that should be an easy fix. Let’s go downstairs to the boutique, a hotel of this size will sure to have one”

They wandered around with in the hotel library and coffee shop. They talked. A lot. Most of it was about their families back home. 3 days past and they are still at the hotel.

“Ram, I hope we don’t go bankrupt staying here” she said with concern in her voice, “I was expected 2 days of stay here but it’s the 4th day”

“Don’t worry about money. We are OK” assured Ram.

That night, not know what else to do, they bought season 1 of Game of Thrones to watch in the room. They came prepared with wine, snacks.

The fire place was lit and the room was warm and cozy. Ram dimmed the lights and they sat on the bed.

“Ram, I am not going to bite you, come closer so we can share the duvet” Roci offered. Ram jumped into the bed gratefully, “good thing you asked me because I don’t watch to be watching the whole season sitting at the edge of the bed” Ram said.

We still don’t know if it’s the wine, the weather, the show or the company but they soon got much closer. Maybe it’s a combination of all.

“you are wearing that cologne again” said Roci. “Yes, Roci, I am”.

Roci closed her eyes. Taking a deep breath. They asleep on the bed holding each other, though, neither made an attempt for it to be more than that.

The next morning, the lockdown lifted and it was time to fly back to London.

“I wish we could just finish watching that last episode” Roci smiled.

“I wish so too…” and just like that they decided to stay another day.

As they entered the room after their breakfast and their usual walk, Roci hugged Ram from behind.

“I cant let you go and neither can I stay here forever. I would never be able to marry you and I know neither can you. All I want today, at least for today, is you”

Ram gently turns around, pulls her close and whispers, I wanted this since the time I laid my eyes on you. He kissed her deeply. The room blurred, their minds were blank expect the hunger they had for each other.

Whether they ever will meet again, we don’t know. For now, it is enough they are happy.

Rihana, VinuthaS, muggs and 7 others like this.

2. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Beautiful love story.. beautifully written..

3. Rakhii

thank you swiss

swiss likes this.
  4. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

Woooow! The Power of Now explained in a whole new way. Awesome, gripping read it was @Rakhii :thumbup:

Have you thought about the signing bonus you will ask for when you sign up for your first book of short stories and which publishers would you consider to publish your book :D

5. Rakhii

thank you so much Lalitha :)
    I am glad you liked it. This concept of middle aged love is very close to my heart.

sumalynux and Lalithambigai like this.
  6. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

Wah Wah..That was cute story :hearteyes::hearteyes: This was something different to read :cheer:Instead of watching series of "Game of Thrones" wish we heard the story of "Bachelor Ram" :lol:
    wish they meet again ;):lol: without going bankrupt :p
    Cool, mild, well balanced and narrated story ma'am :clap2::clap2:

Keep rocking and keep writing.

Thank you.

Rakhii likes this.
  7. Rakhii

Game of Thrones! I love that show, I wouldnt give that up for anything, let alone for Bachelor of Ram lol

Thank you, I am glad you like it. Probably a tad bit more matured than early 20's age love stories.

Adharv likes this.
  8. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

Poor Ram :crybaby2::lol:

9. Rakhii

lets just say, I pamper him in my dreams :p if you know what I mean lol

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Adharv likes this.
  10. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

Got you!! :lol::lol: convey my regards when you meet him in your dreams....:lol:;)