1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vajpayee Myth And Reality

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That's what I was thinking. It is ok to discuss a departed leader's failings.

If a shok sabha (condolence meeting) is disrupted with such discussion, or if in a thread started to pay tributes, his failings are brought up, it could be called disrespect or out of place.

I saw this thread as an attempt to examine ABV's leadership objectively when so much praise is being showered by all. An effort to present the other side that almost any leader has.
    Agree.

If the praises are unrestrained right after death, then, that is the time to counter them too. With the short attention span media and people have now-a-days, and the 24 hours news cycle, waiting could mean no one reads or another big news comes along.

I don't know enough to conclusively agree or disagree with the list of his leadership failures, but it was a good reminder of many big events of past 30-40 years.

Viswamitra, Cheeniya and kkrish like this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I respect your views and you are correct from that perspective.

However, people are sad about his demise and this is the mourning period.
    So it would have been a good idea to be respectful of other peoples emotions.

Ten or fifteen days later would have made no difference to the content of the post, but it might have made some difference to the readers. Today their emotions may still be raw; a couple of weeks later they may be more acceptable to opposing views.

I must admit that I forgot about the mourning period when I responded first. It was only when I read Viswa's post that it struck me.
    I thought about my dad... and how I would have felt if someone said his ideas, and thinking were wrong just a couple of days after his demise.

3. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I am not a fan of any politician . I can say one thing for sure that Vajpayee Ji as a PM inspite of his BJP affiliation was comparatively liberal. He made a good team with Advani and Sushma Swaraj. I remember being optimistic about India’s leadership for once.
    A country like India with its proximity to Pakistan definitely needs to assert its nuclear capabilities . Pokhran did just that. So I do not look at it as a complete failure essentially.
    The Babri Masjid was the start of a major crisis in India and then things did go downhill. I do not think he handled it any differently than any other PM from any other party would have done .

4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Balajee,
    I think the post is before time. But then you must have held it for some time before you clicked to send. And the you said to your self what the heck!!!!
    It is also rumored that he died on 14th itself but official declaration had to wait till after Independence speech.
    Binod Dua on his episode in the Wire portal said in similar tone and may be he wanted to say it because he is not BJP supporter. Whatever.
    Coming to the point, every politician lives two lives. One what he really is and two what is expected of him as a politician and that too at the helm of affairs as PM. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Vajpaee was a through gentleman but politics asked him to behave differently. Nevertheless he did leave his personal imprint when he went to Lahore in a bus and invited Mussarraf to India. He did leave his personal imprint when he advised Modi to observe the Rajdharma. He did leave his personal imprint when he asked Nehru's photo to stay where it was in the Parliament house.
    Similarly, as PM Man Mohan Singh had his limitations but as a person he is a thorough gentleman. He also faced Collation compulsions to run the government and did try to resign but politics is different ball game, where one has to meet the expectations of the party.
    Modi will also be judged on similar lines one day.
    As far as the dead is concerned, it is over and out.

stayblessed, kaniths and shyamala1234 like this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

just a point not to argue...in this day and age no one bothers about departed leaders couple of days after cremation ,leave alone people ,their own party will remember them only at anniversaries and same story again will happen, only good things will be discussed. At this kind of time, leader's life will be published and discussed at length , if some new and young readers read about any leader and they find only good and good it is a disservice to them , truth without disrespect should be presented as it will be a written record of the leader which will be available to be read for ages.

PavithraS and kkrish like this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@armummy
    I merely clarified why I felt the post could have waited, going with what my heart told me. I may be wrong. It does not matter.
    I still feel the OP had guts to post his views.

I understand your point of view and have nothing against it either.
    We are all different with different views and that is what makes life interesting.

No offense meant and none taken.

I also forgot to thank you for supporting my post earlier. Thanks.

I guess its time for me to move and stay in my tiny "space" . Hope to see all there :)

PavithraS, SinghManisha and armummy like this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In some communities, we have a mourning period of 13 days post death of a person. We mourn his death during this period for:
    Whatever good things he did
    For whatever good things he failed to do
    For all bad things he did
    For all bad things that he did not do

It makes sense to take time to launch a tirade against any dead person. Let us not forget that in the ultimate reckoning, non of us will come clean! Do you know that there are over a million Websites criticizing Gandhi for his illogical or bad actions? The dead need at least 13 days to face our inquest!
    John 8:7 "When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    sindmani, PavithraS, ashima10 and 6 others like this.
  8. boby

boby Silver IL'ite

Yes youth should learn the factual truths, not biased opinions. Also I have only read good things about Nehru , Gandhi etc . But now the more I learn and dig in to history I question their decisions and wonder why I was taught they were the greatest with no flaws. And when I do that now I am called a Sanghi. Hypocrites!

9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I did read criticism on Gandhi and Nehru, usually through editorials and columns in my daily newspapers long ago , I don't think for many years now , a lot is discussed about them except the prayer meetings at the smaraks on their anniversaries because they are quite old news.

I do notice whenever indira Gandhi is discussed almost immediately emergency is discussed and bofors , srilanka debacle for Rajiv Gandhi .

I have my serious doubts on material dispersed through what'sapp university and their like by the recent ultra hyper nationalists .

10. boby

boby Silver IL'ite

Yes, Exactly! the biased views written by one Mr Balajee is just the example of WhatsApp university mentioned by you.Thanks for bringing it up!.

stayblessed likes this.