Anxiety And Depression During Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Starkgirl, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I have history of depression and anxiety, It started when I was 13 but diagnosed only in my mid 20’s, from then on I was on and off SSRI to control my extreme anxiety and depression.
    DH knew about my medical situation and agreed to marry me in spite of it and he is been supportive ever since but not so much his family.
    When we thought of conceiving, I stopped my medication since I wanted to avoid it during pregnancy, currently I am 17 weeks pregnant and because of certain personal situation my anxiety has triggered. I was fine yesterday whole day but by night I was extremely anxious and restless that I did not sleep properly and even when I slept I had terrible nightmares that I woke very upset.
    In all this I am so worried about my baby, I know this stress and anxiety will have impact on my baby ... I don’t want it to happen but i am unable to control my emotions.
    I called my OB and left a message about my current situation.
    What should I do in this situation? Should I wait and see if these emotions settle down ? Or should I go back on SSRI? Or try something else.
    Can anyone please advise

2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

You are pregnant. Consult with your dr about medications. It's very important.
    God bless you. Prayers for your safe delivery and healthy baby.

Starkgirl likes this.
  3. goldenhoney87

goldenhoney87 Silver IL'ite

Only selective SSRIs are safe during pregnancy. Dont go back to your usual medicines and have them without your doctors approval.
    Isn't your obstetrician aware of your medical history.
    Leaving it this way might increase the relapse of your depression postpartum, premature birth or low birth weight.
    Please talk to your doctor.
    Bless your baby with good health

4. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Yes , I used to take sertaline but we stopped it with doctors guidance before conceiving since my plan was to avoid it during first trimester since that is when baby organs develop and these medicine might cause some harm so
    And now since I am 17 weeks , my OB suggested I can go back to my medicines if I feel anxious and depressed.
    But she asked me to wait and see this weekend how it goes and if I still feel miserable she said she will prescribe me lowest dose of sertaline so that my anxiety and depression stay at bay...

Thankfully today I am feeling lot lot better .
    Thank you

goldenhoney87 likes this.
  5. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Please do consult your doctor about taking medications. Depression is a medical condition where positive thoughts may not help. I hope you can resolve this and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. Once this is taken care of you should also talk to your doctor about PPD well in advance .

Starkgirl likes this.
  6. Starkgirl

Starkgirl Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for your reply .
    I have clinical depression and anxiety so it is bit difficult to fool my mind by telling to think positive, it doesn’t work like that with me .
    I spoke to my doctor and since I am in second trimester it is perfectly safe for me to go back to my medicine but since I am feeling better my doctor wants me to wait and see for few days how I feel and if I still feel miserable she said I can start medication.
    In my next visit I will have a talk about ppd , DH is planning to get a therapist on board if in case it helps me ... so I hope with a good support I will be fine
    Thank you

SinghManisha likes this.
  7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Take care. You are blessed with a good husband. Lucky you

Starkgirl likes this.