1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spot Cleaning Silk Sarees

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Gauri03, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have an heirloom Kanchipuram saree that I wore once for 3-4 hours. It is in pristine condition except for a food stain approximately 2 cm in diameter. I put talc on the spot and was able to lift off the oily part of the stain but there is still a light turmeric stain left behind. I don't want to dry clean the saree because as we all know the saree will never be the same again. I would like to wear it a handful more times before I have it sent for cleaning. All tips on Google are to use mild soap and water, but doesn't water discolor silk permanently? So short of dunking the whole saree in water I don't know how feasible that solution is.

Anyone have any home remedies to get the stain out?

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Is it just turmeric G? Sunlight is the best turmeric stain remover. Wash only affected area with shampoo (no detergent) and sponge off the water immediately with paper towels and leave it dry outside in bright sunlight.
    Mom and MIL wash all silk sarees in soap nut solution.
    I have see them in couple of indian stores. They look like this . Soak them in hot water for an hour and when u mix them with hand they lather up beautifully. This is can be used in the place of shampoo for spot cleaning. Shouldnt not affect the sari at all.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Gauri03 likes this.