1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inconsistent Behaviour

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by pinky2cute, Jul 16, 2018.

1. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,
    Past few months had been hell for me to say the least. Finding myself pregnant to losing my baby in mid pregnancy, my thesis, my studies and then exams.... It took me a long time to come out of depression.
    Most of you all know how cruel my in-laws behaved when I lost my unborn baby.
    I had cut my ties with them totally.
    Inlaws suddenly behaving as if nothing happened. They got gifts fr me (inexpensive ones like junk earrings, a cheap perfume spray of local brand) and sent it via dh when he came to meet me while they bought all expensive branded shoes, branded clothes for my dh and their daughter (blurted out by my dh as he was wearing one of those shirts n branded nee shoes gifted by his parents).
    So dh gave me those so called gifts by his parents said to me to forget the past whatever happened.
    I was shocked to say the least.
    Really?? Forget about the cheap gifts but even if they had given me some diamond necklace n told me to forget about what all sins they have committed towards me since day1 of marriage, i would throw the diamod necklace bt not forgive nor forget whatever pain they caused to me.

Anyhow, i told my dh that i cant forgive them. They should openly apologise to me only then iay consider to forgive n let go of the past. He kept quiet. We didnt discuss about this again.

Post my exams, I had to join back my husband but since his parents were with him, i refused to go there and instead came back to my parents.

I had told him clearly that he has to take a nee house fr us and i cant stay with his parents after all that they have done.
    He says ok but doesnt take any steps towards it.
    I wanted to join a job in the city where my parents are. I told him to take a job here and shift with me me as for him here opportunities will be better.
    He says ok but never takes it seriously.
    In between I am currently not well and need to undergo surgery which needs bedrest for a long time so I cannot join job as of now.

I told my husband to come to my parents place n stay with me few days for the surgery. He said initially ok but never confirmed me when he will come. Because of this I couldnt plan my surgery.

Now he changed his words and saying he wont come here nor he can finance my surgery if i chose to stay with my parents. He is saying to come back n stay with him where his parents are and then only he will tkcr of my surgery.

I'm pissed off at him. 1stly, he knows why i do not want to be under same roof with his parents after their cruelty towards me. 2ndly, I need to be in bedrest post surgery fr few months... Who will take care of me there when he goes to job? With such inlaws i cant be at peace.

How to deal with this? Should i go back to him and get my surgery done? But this would give them more power and i know once i go there i will be trapped...he will never shift out.

If i continue to stay with my parents, i will have to be totally dependent on them now post surgery (my parents are always my backbone...always support and stand by my side) but how to convince husband that I'm his responsibility and he should be here to take care of me atleast when i need him the most for my surgery be it financially or emotionally. He is still so immature and inconsistent with his behaviour. I can't trust him as he doesn't stand by his words always.

2. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Hugs to you dear..
    I remember all ur previous threads and this is indeed a tough time for u..
    How is your husband planning to look after you if u go to his parents home for surgery?
    Has he given any assurance that they will look after you properly when u are on bedrest?
    Try explaining the details and practicalities of this surgery, and how you need to be physically and mentally relaxed during the recovery phase. Let him ask his parents if they will do all work for u on bedrest..most probably they will refuse giving some reason, right, then maybe he himself will think of coming to your parents place for sometime to support you.
    Hope this surgery is not anything serious..also what were the results of your medical post grad exams?hope u cleared all papers with good marks.
    right now your education is your biggest asset.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You have not. You cannot cut ties with them when your husband is still living with them.

From where do they get so much money? To buy stuff for son and daughter... Just wondering. Not related to your issue.

You need to try and stop reacting strongly to events and actions of people. At the height of emotion, such as in the weeks losing a baby, such anger and intensity is understandable, but as time does it job, you have to try and be a little calm and employ some strategic thinking.

Avenging the past insults, getting DH to agree that his folks are bad people, etc., are distractions. Your main goal should be to get DH to agree to a separate house, and you get a job, and you guys get started on living together.

In-laws openly apologizing, husband taking a job in your parents' city, husband coming and living in your parents' house for your surgery, are very difficult things to accomplish. Why spend your limited energies on battles that cannot be won? Or victories that cannot really be celebrated?

From his pov, he is being fair enough. His parents made some efforts to patch up. You need a surgery and he is willing to take care of the cost. Expecting him to foot the bill and come stay in your parents' place is not realistic.

You need the surgery. You need the bed-rest for "few months". You cannot afford the surgery or hiring someone for your care yourself. You are married, not really fair for your parents to pay for it. Bluntly speaking, you are at a disadvantage. A few months of bed-rest is not a simple thing. Like I said earlier, you really have to pick your battles.

How to deal with this is to figure out what you want the most. And go about it with a little less drama and less of "I will throw the diamond necklace" attitude. One possible way -- in-laws sent gifts. Accept those. You don't have to use them. Talk with husband diplomatically. Tell him, the peace has come after a lot of heartache for all. Let's live separately, and keep the peace. Say, "at least till we get a chance to bond, to strengthen our marriage...let's live separately. We will always be there for your parents." Try love. Try speaking with love. Living apart from you has been rough on him also. Don't make him responsible for his parents' actions.

You can also speak to his parents when they are around. Thank them for the gifts,and figure out how to tactfully suggest temporarily living apart.

Present the living separately as an option that is for the happiness and peace of all. Don't portray it as a punishment for their past actions. If they say they will behave better from now on, calmly repeat that living separately is better for all for now. Soften it by saying you guys are always there for each other.

You are immature and consistent with your behavior. He is torn between his parents and you. Drop the 'avenge my insults' approach. Try love, tact, love, sex, tact.

You will most likely feel like telling me to go take a hike. I would too, if I were your age and someone told me the above. : )

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    messedup, SunPa, vaidehi71 and 8 others like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Very balanced suggestions, @Rihana.:clap2:

OP,
    Undoubtedly you have gone through a lot. It is not easy to forget past hurts or not have some befitting compensation. But in life, there will always be many unjust events and it is a part of life. Life doesn't always seem fair. So think hard what is it that you want in life and how important are your hubby and marriage to you. Past hurts do keep coming back and they can only make your marriage worse than what it is already. Try to compromise and choose your battles. Don't lose your youth and today over things that are insignificant when you look at the bigger picture. All the best.

The following post deals with similar dilemma, you may check it out. All It Takes!

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....your husband is immature and has no spine.
    He says one thing to you and then listens to his parents and blurts out the same words to you .
    He has no mind of his own .

If you go and stay there....
    1)You may not get the rest you require.
    It is your health. You have been through a lot recently. You need care . A longish period of care. Your in laws are not going to give you that . Very few in laws have the heart to give care to dil . Your in laws are certainly not those kind of people.

2) If you go and they do give some kind of care to you ,it will be held over your head forever that his parents took care of you.They will extract their pound of flesh from you.
    You can then forget about ever having a seperate home .
    Your husband will hate you for refusing to live with them and bear with them after making them take care of you.

Imagine,if he wants you to forget and forgive because they gave you some cheap gifts probably bought from your husband's money....what will be his expectations from you if you are taken care by them. He will expect you to be forever in their debt.

It is a lose- lose situation for you.

Go to your parents house and have the surgery . You need care...they will take care of you. You will have peace of mind and will not be unnecessarily aggravated by in laws antics.

Your health is most important . More important than even your relationship with husband which seems to be going one step forward and two steps backwards.
    Your body is going to be with you all your life.

You can pay back your parents after you get a job .

Your husband lives off guilt.
    You can tell him you have no other choice than to depend on your parents even after marriage for care in sickness and recuperation .Refuse to discuss it further.Let him do what he wants to . Let him soak in the guilt of not being of help to his wife.

Have no sympathy because that is how he operates. If not you, his parents will be guilt tripping him to get you to bend over. People who refuse to use their minds have to suffer this.

If he wants your love,sympathy ,he will have to stop trying to get you to live with his monster parents. Period. Tell him you are waiting to start a new life with him in a new home after recuperating from the surgery.

Don't get drawn into this drama by his parents.
    Whether you go to your parents place or his parents place...there will be drama.
    Your husband has put you in this situation and both the options are going to hurt the relationship.
    You might as well have peace of mind and no ' favor' over your head .

Don't bring the past about in laws with your husband. Just tell him you are disappointed that he is not willing to help your in your hour of need and you will manage some how. Period. No more discussion.
    If he can't be with you for a few days for the surgery,he should not expect you to stay for a longish period of recuperation with his parents.

Your relationship state and your future living arrangement can be sorted out later on . Don't risk your health for a man who is so unreliable.

pinkRoseBud, SunPa, Rihana and 5 others like this.
  6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, your health is most important now. So choose what is best for you. Can your husband support you if you guys stay together in a separate house. You need rest .I think its is good to stay in your parents home after surgery. Convince your dh about the need for bed rest ( how can his parents help you with that. but asking him to stay with your parents dont work well, as you are not ready to stay in his home). Take care of yourself well.

Living in the past and keeping those negativity is not doing to help you in anyway. The smartest way I believe is to convince your husband that you guys have to live separate away from parents and both of you will be there for your parents on both sides. Negativity repels people. If you continue like this, your husband move way more from you. Get a job and settle with your dh.

Whether you like you or not he cannot give up his parents. Whether it is cheap or expensive, gifts are gifts. Just receive with gratitude . Using it or not is up to you. Humans make mistake even you, your dh everyone. So just maintain a distance and relationship in a better way. I can understand the past hurt. Thinking you always right is not the way to go. Your husband will be in stress all the time torn between you and his parents. So just release the tension from your side may relieve him from this to some extent. Stick with your idea of living separate from parents. It is easy to break relationships but not easy to make one.

Maintain your standard.If you behave immature way like him or his parents, what is the difference between all of you. So its better to have some open minded and loving approach. Do good and expect nothing. Your education and job will be your life saviors . Also stop talking about these (even if dh talks) past events and about PILS, what they have done or blaming anyone etc. If you do so, you will be going through the same mental torture again. Just say I dont want to talk about it as it make you sad. you need peace of mind to regain your health.

Now focus on your health, life and future.

fourthaugust, shravs3 and MalStrom like this.
  7. pinky2cute

Thats what i asked him. He says his parents will look after me.

No they wont refuse. He says his parents will look after... By that he means mil will cook n gv me food n help with getting me to washroom. He says he will take care of me after coming back from job.

I know their plan. They are trying to be nice so that i do not have any reason to tell him to shift out. I don't know what to do. One thing I'm sure is that mil may cook n gv food on time....bt i cannot be happy there n heal myself. In my parents house, i wud feel happy and taken well care of without me even needing to ask.

8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

I think when it comes to health it is better to depend on parents . It will help you to recover sooner.
    You need to start making money. I would say stay at parents place finish the surgery and when you are in situation to start working move to husband's place. Most of your problems are caused by distance. In order to reduce distance you need to sacrifice or compromise somewhere. is it possible to work part time after few months ? Considering your marital situation I think more than husband support, parents support what you need is regain health and financial independence.
    When do you think you can start working again ?

fourthaugust and Rihana like this.
  9. pinky2cute

I have "cut ties" in the sense I have not ever called them nor talked to them since more than 8months now! And i dont want to be with them either. That's why this post!

They never induge in heavy shopping. It's a rare event!

Ok i do agree i do react strongly to events which cause hurt or harm to me. I am trying to let go. I am not someone to hold grudges but they have been so bad to me that i do not have any emotion towards them than hatred. I'm trying to let go of that hatred but forgetting whatever they did and be normal with them is something I cannot do unless they feel guilty and change.

My problem is I need bedrest for a few months as its a major surgery.... I would not get that in their home. Not that they will make me work but they do not treat me as a family member nor care about my comfort or what i i need. And i do not mean my husband should stay with me in my parents home fr months till im back on my feet! I just mean I expect him to understand my situation and stay for my surgery n atleast till imI discharged and back to home. He can leave post that.

The answer is above ....i do not expect him to be with me fr weeks or months.

Yes its not simple...which is why this post. If my parents spend money, I would def return back once I'm fit and get a job. But I feel bad for the fact thatbwing old they have to run around me in hospital despite having married and having a husband who could tkcr of me but is putting his conditions!.

Yes, I had accepted their gifts...i didnt tell dh that i hate them n they r cheap etc. i am telling it here! I have told dh to thank them on my behalf. I seriously do not expect any gifts from them esp when I know they do not have good feelings fr me. Gifts if given from heart even a simple rose would mean a lot to me.

Well, you are too blunt. Try to be a lil softer in replies :)
    Me immature? Well maybe...if the other person hurts me and doesnt care ofmy emotions, then I do not and will not care about them. If this is being immature then yes i am!

10. pinky2cute

Dh is immature, inconsistent but is trying to change for me. By that, I mean that when I was in severe depression postlosing baby, he would comfort me and motivate me to study fr my exams over phone calls.
    There was a time when I was suffocated with my own thoughts and pressure of exams, pain of losing baby, my health issues, living alone amidst 4 empty walls away from family etc....i felt suicidal. I was fighting my own thoughts. Amidst in all this, me and dh dh a huge fight over phone n i ended the call telling him that i m fed up of this life everyone and everything is giving me only pain nobody understand My feelings.

After keeping the call, i was crying profusely and even thinking of ways to end my life ( all these happened just few weeks after I lost my baby...i was just not able to handle my emotions)

He kept calling me but i didnt take his calls.
    He thenkept on sending me msgs saying how much he loves me n can't live without me. He called up my colleagues living next to my room n told them to check on me.

I'm thankful to my few colleagues n frnds and most of all my parents n husband who pulled me out of the depression.

Whenever i was depressed, he would encourage me to think good and concentrate on my studies.

My problem is that he is inconsistent. He makes promises but never fulfils. He hides things frm me even now esp about finances and other things like he buys new mobile frhimself n buys furnitures at home ... Sends gifts to a road to his sister etc but never tells me nor discuss with me.
    He lies to me about petty things even now. Like he himself promised me that he will look for new home and we will shift out. Now he is changing words and saying he wants to change job so he cant be sure of taking new house etc.
    He promisedme he will be myside weneveri need him n yet now he is keeping these conditions knowing well that i need rest post surgery n i wud getthat only with my parents beside me.