New Job Offer - Need Feedback In Deciding

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by madras2018, Apr 21, 2018.

1. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Hello ladies

After many months of job search, I finally landed a job at a top 10 company in my field. Pay is best in class. I live in City A, I interviewed at city B (headoffice) and my actual work location will be in city C. I need to accept the job offer in a cpl of days and despite everything else being ok about the job I find myself hesitating in accepting it because:

1. I have never visited the office in city C although my role will be based fulltime there. I was never invited there even during the interview process (as hiring team was in B). I now realize that I should have requested a visit sooner and it's a bit late now. This is causing most of my anxiety cos I have never met any members of my team or office.
    2. I have never lived in city C aside from 2 visits years ago. If I relocate to C it will also be my first time living alone in India. I do have relatives in C but much older. I plan to live by myself near work and not with relatives. I worry abt the loneliness although i can fly to my homebase.
    3. I need an elective medical procedure in next 2-3 months that will require 3 weeks of staying home. I may be able to work for the most part but i dont know if my new job will allow 3 wks WFH within 2 months of joining.
    4. I sometimes come across negative reviews online about the group I am about to join and it worries me no end - esp as it relates to point #1.
    5. I worry that the job location will limit matrimonial prospects in that it is possible that prospective partners may not be interested in relocating to C and I wldnt want to quit my new job in a few months cos a) short term employment looks bad on resume and b) my salary wld be nearly double of what most guys make anyway.

So basically I feel anxious about moving for a new job in a new city at an office I havent been to, working with a team i havent met, plus this move has ramifications on other personal matters.

I am wondering
    1. If I should even take this job because I am in two minds because of the above concerns. Shld I "lean in" or listen to my gut and lean out ?
    2. Regarding #1, one way I can think of resolving any doubts I have is by first accepting the offer and then requesting the recruiter I be allowed an office visit at C (on my own expense) - just to get a feel of the place and calm my nerves about the many unknowns. How to ask this without needlessly raising questions in my employer's mind ? What if my gut feel is negative after visit ?

Feedback appreciated. Shoutout to my buddies : @Rihana @Sandycandy @yellowmango @blindpup10 @SGBV and the many lovely ladies who helped me earlier.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Sandycandy likes this.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on the job offer !!

You should definitely schedule a visit to the site of work and meet your team. I don’t think you need to be apologetic about it at all. I would not be comfortable taking up a position without meeting the people that I work with or visiting the site of work.
    I would not worry about the negative reviews online , go with a open mind . Also use this opportunity to ask about their WFH policies and you should get an idea about how it will impact things while you recover from the medical procedure . Health is important and there is nothing to feel uncomfortable about even if you have to take some time off.

Regarding 2 . having family in the same city is not a deal breaker for me at all if the opportunity is good enough. But you need to think if this is important to you.

Same with 5. , I wouldn’t sacrifice a good opportunity until I am really close to getting ek chutki sindoor on my maang. Things take time and what’s to say you wouldn’t meet someone in city C. And things will work out when you meet the right person.

If after the site visit you still have apprehensions , don’t go for it. This would be the most important determining factor for me.

Good luck !

3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    Thanks for validating this. I was wondering if I wld sound high maintenance by asking this. But it seems like a valid ask since i never had the opportunity to visit my work place at city C. I have requested for an office visit in a day or two. Lets hope they oblige.

Haha. Ek chitki sindoor gave me a giggle.
    You have a point but how wld anything get to ek chutki sindoor if guys finds my location a deal breaker ? Nobody has said that until now because it was assumed that I wld move. Most guys still expect the girl to move. Honestly this aspect worries me no end.

Thats right. I am giving myself permission to change my mind abt the job if I dont feel fully comfortable. The pay makes me think twice though.

Thanks again @Sandycandy :)

Sandycandy likes this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I don't have experience of working in corporate sector but I feel you could bring the topic of your expected elective medical procedure and what will be your requirements. Their response will tell you a lot about them than the reviews.

Sandycandy, sindmani and madras2018 like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I'd say for the pay being best in class, you should give it a shot. Good you have asked for an office visit. But unless there is something very negative, don't reject the offer.

About the WFH for 3 weeks, I guess they cannot really say no or object since it is a medical procedure, but if you have to tell some team members what procedure it is, they might wonder at your timing -- joining a new job when you knew this was coming up. But, you seem to be deserve the job and the pay so they should not mind the WFH. And there will be time enough to prove yourself later too.

madras2018 likes this.