Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I love you too.

Was reading your description of Priya Prakash wink in QPQ. Went and looked up the video. I hardly get any forwards, so saw it only when you wrote about it! Like people glad to watch a movie before reading the book, I was glad I read your ode to it before watching the short clip.

I always wondered about the 'best friend' who is there to cheer on, hug or lends shoulder for tears when things in love go awry. The boy in the video has a friend next to him.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Intrigued to know you watch/watched so many Hindi movies, then and even in the recent past. In QPQ, you mentioned magazines like Femina, if I recall correctly.

I had listed you mentally as someone who read/reads only quality content, and not watch mostly-fluff Hindi movies.

3. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Sure ! we were just deciding thr menu yesterday ! all veg ! duh !
    you are welcome anytime Kaniths !

kaniths likes this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Arey Viswa, my begaana writing is a Joycean stream of consciousness which has continuity but no reciprocity to the original word of thought. You say Bobby and I rant Dimple and hair and Neelam. You mention Rihana in any context, I splice Rihana in other context. I quote the tail end of the original post for continuity more than retort. By now you must understand that I have a very diffuse thought process. Hair also reminds me of that Govinda advertisement. I never understood Govinda for that hair ad. Neelam, OK. But Govinda?

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I am fully flattoo on that clip. It's not that wink frame but the conception of high school tease as a sequence that endeared me.

Boys as high school bros are naive and irrepressed with gestures. They hug in exhilaration. But boys as grown-ups are conscious to hug their buddies. Hence, I liked the conception of a wink in an unaffected high school ambience before they are groomed on handshake conduct in University. You are supposed to confide your transgressive love and not hug but slap at your friend's shoulder in despair. That's boring! The girl shakes her chin and head in a kathakali twitch after the wink. I loved that detail in the scene.

The question: were these kids trained for brow tricks? How did they manage such coordinated eye dialogue? Raise and then raise another. I cannot raise gracefully any or both brows. Or, was such trick a criterion during the audition. Hey, we are looking for aspirants who can raise their brows and do some cute facial expressions. Boggles me! Wink came first and the artists followed, or the artists were cute and the film maker was inspired to contrive a brow scene between them.

See Viswa, this is what, I can hop from one topic to another so effortlessly that the wink is displaced with film auditions now.

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Nai rey, I am fluff-fluff and slang and guttersnipe at core. I have watched trash and novelty alike. Remember, I was born before the parental guidance and Netflix era so my simple-minded parents were mostly unaware of what we kids watched on telly. I enjoyed the romping English movies at midnight and the melodramatic Hindi movies in evening hours.

I was a tv junkie. I watched a lot of Indian television while growing up. I could never break into a song in Antakshari but I was recruited as a stand-by because I would recall some drab song from some movie. I do have difficulty with the lyrics and names at times, like I would cue the team ...that song where kids meet and depart and catch up after a decade in a stable and mews house and that lady sobs holding a scarf. In an excited mood, I croak "Ban ja tu meri Rani", and in a foul mood, I belt out Vivian Stanshall's "Labio Dental Fricative".

The magazine rack had Femina and Woman's Era. I was a wide-eyed and curious kid. I would read all the articles indiscriminately. As a kid, you are not discerning of tasteful reads. I would compare the amla and besan face packs with cocoa and berry packs of Femina.

Femina was more glamorous and sophisticated to the homespun Woman's Era. While Woman's Era used to be graced by hicks who used to inquire mundane domestic tiffs in the personal columns. Femina was ruled by brazenly confused women who would plot shadiyantra between their lover and husband.

I was hardly eight or nine! But those were the summer lazy days reading trash while tucking in the fruits of doub palm and the eight year old reflecting whether the prodigal woman should return to her husband or elope with her lover as if their distant lives relied on this eight year old's arbitration over Pearl Padamsee's ready advice.

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

No decided menu can get past me the foodie. Veg or non-veg kya items? Ras malai honi hi chahiye! Hai kya?

8. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

With respect to Darwin theories of evolution ( although there is strong doubt going on about this now..;) ...my ear lobes are evolved to shut when i hear that the treat/party is full vegetarian.

But when you talked about dessert they are back open, Just Asked Mr Ashima, Gulab jamun , ras malai and choclate moose hai.

You are welcome :) seriously. if your username name is your real name the little one shares her name with you ( half of your name at least )

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:In those words, I did seem to hear some one standing erect glittering at podium in tears in the vee hours of the Academy Award!!!!!
    I survive with limited functional vocabulary and very limited recognition vocabulary. I salute as always your diction & erudition.
    Thanks & Regards.
    God Bless Us All Always.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Teaser 2
    @Rihana, Please ensure Mr. R doesn't get burned dinner while cooking being in the now. :)

Viswa