1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Glucose Fasting In Usa - Do They Include Word "fasting" On Paperwork

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ChennaiExpress, Dec 16, 2017.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I am really really confused about Glucose Fasting in USA.

For several years I always thought Doctor would write "Fasting" on the prescription. I never received prescription, they would send to the lab.

In past (probably in 2000s, early 2010s) blood test results would say "Fasting" Glucose

Previous to last blood test in Nov 2016, one blood testing lab specified "Fasting" Glucose test

Last blood test in Jul 2017, blood work was sent to another blood lab company. It didn't say "Fasting" and when we asked Doctor, she said, yes, this is fasting.

About few days back I received prescription to go to lab that my insurance covers. It didn't mention Fasting anywhere and I got alerted (Diabetes is RAMPANT in our family. I mean RAMPANT)

Just now I called Doctor picked up phone. I asked to include "Fasting" on paperwork. Doctor said there is no need, just tell the lab that you are having Fasting blood test.

I couldn't think of anything else to ask (see I need lot of help expressing myself). It seems out of place that by verbally telling the blood test place "Fasting" they will do it, without Doctor's authorization.

And I didn't want to drill on the fact that my insurance easily covers such tests. I know some insurance cover more things, and you or employer pay higher premium, whereas HMO you don't pay premium, but they don't cover certain things.

Plus I know Doctors have their own constraints and our healthcare system has room for improvement.

Honestly, this is two part question
    1. If I mention Fasting, will they taking Fasting Glucose blood test.
    2. How could I have asked question better.

I'm feeling kinda uneasy right now.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Are you getting a test just to test your glucose level in the blood or a HA1c test? If it is the former then just tell them you are there for the fasting glucose test. They will know what to do. HA1c doesn't depend on fasting.

Sandycandy likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

And if you are just monitoring your blood sugar but don't have diabetes you can get one of the home test kits.

Sandycandy likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Relax! Keep this in mind: the test is the same, no matter what you do before the blood is drawn. If you do a fasting glucose test or a post-prandial glucose test, the test is the same. It measures glucose levels in the blood.

However, if you eat before the test, then your glucose level will be different. If you eat and then draw blood and measure glucose immediately after eating, at 30 minutes, after 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 6 hours and 8 hours, then the levels will be different. Soon after eating, at about 30 minutes, the glucose levels in the blood will be higher. It will slowly drop over time. This drop is because of insulin doing its thing and removing glucose from the blood. In diabetics, the blood sugar will remain elevated, either because they are not making enough insulin or due to other factors.

So, if you eat, but record the test as a fasting glucose test, then your physician will mistakenly assume that your blood-sugar levels are higher and mark you down as potentially pre-diabetic. She will not know, unless you tell her, that the sugar appears high because you ate!

Moreover, what you eat matters. If you drink a nice bottle of orange juice sometime before the test, or any similar food with a high glycemic index, your blood sugar will spike. With a high GI food, the spike will be higher than with a low GI food. If diabetes is suspected, the physician will usually take a pre-prandial, fasting glucose test (before eating, after fasting for 8 hours) and a post-prandial glucose test (2 hours after eating). The test is not different - you are!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I am also getting HA1c testing

That is a great idea. My Dad especially is so scared of this disease. He saw my Grandfather suffer slowly because of it.

Oh wow, this is a thorough and wonderful explanation of the test, and the process your body goes through.

Totally awesome, I can visualize this!