100 Days of Positivity

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda
    Did you sing 'The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain'? I always sing when it rains. Some happy songs of course!

Mistt, Laks09 and satchitananda like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I not only sang, CS, but danced too. I could have danced all night, I could have danced all night and still have asked for more. Although I do not have wings, I put on the telly and paraded in front of it for an entire hour. :-D

Laks09 and Cheeniya like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Today is the last day of Agni Nakshatra (The hottest period of summer). It looked as though it was the middle of the dreaded period. On top of the grueling heat, power was shutdown for some maintenance work for two hours at mid-day. It looked almost like being roasted alive by some cannibals. I suddenly thought of my forefathers who lived without electricity with a bamboo fan for hundreds of years. They would have lived their entire life without electrically operated gadgets like AC. I felt very proud of them and prayed them to give me the kind of patience and fortitude that they had. The heat suddenly seemed very tolerable.

Mistt, Laks09, Gauri03 and 3 others like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Discovered a psicon.png button for the monkey in the brain. :wink: Mind over the matter and the natter in the mind. :blush:

Laks09, jskls, Gauri03 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cheeniya

This morning my wife brought me my cup of coffee and the newspaper. I sipped my coffee and told my wife it tasted divine. Such compliment from me would have made her blush deeply when we were newly married. Today she beamed from ear to ear. How the efflux of a time span of fifty years can change the blush to beam! But I know that both mean the same thing!

joylokhi, Laks09, Rihana and 6 others like this.
  6. satchitananda

7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Walked in the rain in cold weather with my New walking shoes ... for the past 1 year walking has been my stress buster.

Bought few Perennials...

8. satchitananda

Got an hour and a half extra of extra sleep today. My colleague is taking the class at 7.15 for the rest of the week! Tomorrow is a day off and my cousin is coming to visit.

Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I often quote: What a world we are living in, where a woman can study, work and do what ever she wants! I shall add, hereafter, she can toss a hot stew at a man.

I clip quotes and anecdotes of people who snagged hard-won merit through perseverance and grit. Rihana's Rose, Rosa, Rosetta puzzle made me flip through my diary entries to read again about Rosalyn Yalow, who shared the Nobel prize in Medicine for her work in radioimmunoassay technique. She economised and humoured her commitment to science as

“Initially, new ideas are rejected. Later, if you’re right they become dogma. And if you’re really lucky you can publish your rejection letters as part of your Nobel Prize presentation.”

Yalow graduated with high honors at age 19 as the first physics major at Hunter College. Then she had trouble being admitted to Ph.D. studies. One Midwestern school actually wrote back to her professor: “She is from New York. She is Jewish. She is a woman.” She later got an A-minus in one graduate laboratory course, and the department chair said this proved that women could not excel at lab work. More: here

A woman, a Jew, an outcast from Bronx — this combination would have disheartened anyone from applying to the University. But she made it, and she made it BIG! On similar note, Maria Mitchell, the first professional woman astronomer in America after whom a comet she discovered in 1847 was also named didn't belittle the domestic drudgery as a woman's curse but blended her mastery in domesticity into a scientific art.

The training of a girl fits her for delicate work. The touch of her fingers upon the delicate screws of an astronomical instrument might become wonderfully accurate in results; a woman’s eyes are trained to nicety of color. The eye that directs a needle in the delicate meshes of embroidery will equally well bisect a star with the spider web of the micrometer. Routine observations, too, dull as they are, are less dull than the endless repetition of the same pattern in crochet-work.
    More: here

I look at these spirited women and think to myself, if these women stayed aloft in spite of their impediments and social constraints, we, the women of the modern times, should rise above our self-doubts, can I, and push the envelope and frontiers imposed on the weaker or the fairer or the confounded sex.

Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Binge watched an entire season of a TV show over the three-day weekend. Crossed many pending chores off my list. Had a good time with friends. Three days well spent.

satchitananda and Rihana like this.