1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Family Tree

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 21, 2017.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Glad to know that you are also watching the singing competitions. Sometime back Raj TV had Carnatic music competition sponsored by Tanishq jewellery and it was really superb. Now I have come to know that Telugu channels music competition based on Annamacharyas' krithis. Hereafter I won't miss them.
    PS

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Shyamala,
    Thanks for the information regarding ' Annamayya Pataliputra pattabhishekam' programme. Hereafter I will definitely watch this programme.
    PS

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear P'S Madam,
    Please watch it. You would not be disappointed.TTD channel. Saturday and Sunday 8 to 10 p.m.
    Syamala

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear PS and Syamala
    You both seem to be addicts of classical (Carnatic) music. I slightly differ there. My taste in music is more expansive. Like the basic colours, basic sounds are also seven in number. But look at the billions of colour spectrums that make us ecstatic. We may like some colours more than others but we do not hate other colors. Similarly all music emanates from the basic seven sounds. Be it sa ri ga ma or do re me fa so la ti, it is all the same. I lose my heart when I listen to MSS, Lalgudi, Karukurichi or the modern Bombay Jayasri. I am a slave of good music no mater which genre it belongs to. I love the lilting orchestration of Paul Mauriat as much as the sweet voice of Whitney Houton. The beats of African music keep me spell bound. Entharo mahanu bavulu, antiriki vandanamu!

As a kid and later a school going youngster, I used to sing well and I had a reasonable number of fans like the mamis next door! Age has blunted my voice but I don't give up singing and thereby torturing my wife in the bargain! I try to imitate K L Saigal, Manna Dey and Mukesh without getting any of them but my efforts make me happy and contented. My mum always told me that swaras must beautify sound and colours must beautify the world.
    Sri

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    Though classical music is my favourite I do love to hear folk songs, themmangu, lullaby, thalavadyam, and Any soothing and mind calming relaxing music. When we went on a tour to Mukthinath while travelling in a jeep I had the pleasure of listening to the melodies of Nepali music. Any music that touches the heart and calm our nerves is enjoyable and there is no language barrier. Even some jingles are nice to hear.

As the next door mamls were the fans of your music, our back side neighbour was a fan of this bathroom singer and she sent her son to learn from me ignoring my protests and denial.

A soulful singer is the one who understands the meaning of the relic and brings out the baava modulating the voice. Melody queen MS is a true example for this. Gajals and abangs and even the native African beats of drum are enjoyable.

PS

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Shyamala,
    Thanks for the information regarding ' Annamayya Pataliputra pattabhishekam' programme. Hereafter I will definitely watch this programme.
    PS

7. Cheeniya

Dear PS
    MS was truly an epitome of classical music. I have had the pleasure of listening to Ariyakudi, Chembai, MLV, Madurai Mani Iyer and GNB to name a few. There would be concerts of all of them at Thiruvateeswaran Koil behind my house in Triplicane. The concerts would last for about 4 hours and if it was an artist like Karukrichi on Nadaswaram, the concert would go on till the wee hours of the morning. It was Ariyakudi who formalised the Concert format which is followed till date. I can never forget those days in Triplicane!
    I have great love for Hinustani music too. I have listened to the live concerts of Pt.Ravi Shankar and other renowned artists in Music Academy. I have also listened to the live mind blowing concert of Osibissa and others.
    Sri

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I cannot bow enough for that “unintiated” sidenote. I definitely belong to that “un-” group of philistines with no sports knowledge. Few weeks ago, at a book-signing event in a mall I was shopping at, I came across a serpentine queue of enthused junkies. I tapped the shoulder of a queued person and inquired what the hullabaloo was about? She mentioned the name of someone. I further inquired, who that was. She told me that he was a cricketer and his biography had been released. Based on the look on my face, she rattled off astonishing records and few other measures and metrics that made no sense. Then she softly inquired — “You don't look like someone who has interest in sports.” I excused myself before she could scoff at this ignoramus.

I was about to skip this blog on reading the first post on sports and the last post on classical music. Both are not my dominion. Then I read,

and my eyes lit not at the plight of the slaves but at the mention of Rex Harrison and Richard Burton. These yesteryear stars had such charisma and vocals! If I were put in a room with Laurence Olivier, Rex Harrison, Richard Burton, Peter O'Toole and Robert Mitchum (I don't fancy Charlton Heston) then I would quack in my boots like an aspen at this distilled handsomeness. Fabulous screen presence every one of them!

Rather than recording the existing and veritable kinship, I often run counter-factual scenarios in my mind in preparation for some grievous and earth-shattering truth (that never betides), like, what-if I were adopted, would I hunt for my biological parents to discover my roots. Then I weigh such feverish pursuit against logistics of travelling three continents , two oceans and reaching a burial mound in Kiribati where my biological parents are entombed. This motif of a mewling baby left at the door step only to grow up into adulthood as a resourceful man in search of his “real” parents has been exploited enough in our art-house movies. Every time I vet such ancestry mapping expedition (in my hypothetical world), I hear a resounding “no” , there is no way I would go on such a trippy adventure unless I have a rare mutation in my blood which needs transfusion only from my closest relatives. However, I am fascinated by such spirited journeys, fictional or otherwise, where fostered kids seek the taproot of their existence.

I went back to the blog and wondered how did something that started off with sports trended on slavery and ancestry, and ended with tongue-loose. Well, this is Cheeniya's blog, he doesn't go down one rabbit hole, it's a warren he digs.

shyamala1234 and vaidehi71 like this.
  9. Cheeniya

@Iravati

Dear Iravati
    What if you don't follow cricket or cricket doesn't follow you, life gowns on merrily, doesn't it? That's all that matters in 'good living'. Just because I have quoted a cricketing tidbit from a newspaper, it not make me an enthusiast. For your information, if you are in your mid seventies, you tend to read the newspaper from page one to the end without omitting a line. It may include local, national and international politics, sports of all kind inxcluding horse racing, movie news and gossips, one short news about some religious discourse in some place, I leave nothing at all. That makes me Jack of all trades and Master of none!
    Your mention of Charlton Heston made me grin sheepishly. In fact I saw Ten Commandments in spite of him! Don't ask me if I am a cannibal with a weak stomach when I tell you that I cannot digest him. Hope I have made my point clear. I do not know if you have seen The Yellow Rolls-Royse, a movie starring a lot of big wits but Rex Harrison easily takes the cake!
    A friend of mine once told me that we think we were born of so-and-so because others tell us so. Today it can be verified by a DNA test but a hundred years back, it was pure faith! It would be fun if during the course of following our family tree we learn that Anthony Quinn was a distant cousin of ours (and not Charlton Heston)!
    Sri

shyamala1234 likes this.
  10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Back in the day, I used to skip the main edition of the daily newspaper laden with shouts on mayhem and hooliganism and op-eds on moral degradation and all types of soul-hammering news. The only page I used to read was that Sunday supplementary edition chronicling the weekly gossip of tinsel-town. I don't know if it is still extant. Even today I hardly read/watch news. Not sure what that makes me, maybe, Jackie of all inane vagaries and Mistress of no intellectual virtue.

I haven't seen The Yellow Rolls-Royce movie. Rex Harrison as Henry Higgins melted my heart that I refuse to see him as anything else. That's a classic act! I fixate actors with one iconic role and then tender my sentimentality at such attractive roles like Spencer Tracy in Adam's Rib, Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mocking Bird, Clark Gable in Teacher's Pet. The actors and the roles fuse into one honey pot for me. I'd propose we have a spin-off called “Cheeniya's Sinematic Ramblings”, a bi-weekly supplementary edition to your Senile Ramblings.

shyamala1234 likes this.