Good Morning America. Is The Reality Starting To Sink In Now?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rakhii, Nov 9, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Honestly,I feel its unsafe everywhere these days...
    I follow our India news as much as I do the american news..
    Everywhere there are problems, problems and more problems..

Proverb that comes to my mind right now...
    Known devil is better than an unknown angel!

Mistt likes this.
  2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Agree, we don't know what will happen next second and there is no safe here or in India.. I just believe in fate..

Meet9 and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

OK now..you are kidding right?

Home vandalized with hate messages; FBI searching for suspects

whats happening??Are we getting more racist or Racism getting more attention?
    Feel like a laughing stock by other countries..

Moreover,Leave the NRI sheen,our names are tarnished in our own countries and suddenly feeling homeless..

This is so unreal.what's happening around us..is it all new??thought this was a land of immigrants.where's the history????

Gosh...waiting for 2020!!michelle Obama!save us please!!!!

4. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

From couple of days weather was getting better and i started going to walk with my toddler..

Am now scared to step out and scared till dh reaches home safely..

Going temple, Walmart BJ's everything scares Thinking if they anybody is targeting us..

Was telling my dh "Edo poda living in uncertainty(contract job, layoff fear) now living fearing for life"

Am badly craving to return home land n feel safe.. Am i overreacting no idea bu am surely scared to even step out for walk

Meet9 and anika987 like this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Well honestly,yes the fear is there half psychological and half because of media/watsapp/fb messages always being flooded with bad happenings.

Problem is most news in India is about rape and this and that but we know here r so many good things in our country and America is not all bad BUT staying far away from home adds to insecurity

blindpup10 and sumalynux like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Be vigilant but do what you do. Don't stop doing things but also be aware of your surroundings.

Even there, people, especially women do take care while getting out etc. It isn't what it was fifteen yrs ago. My SIL isn't letting my 19 yrs old niece out without a chaperone after 8 PM. When we were in college, we did stay aware but this extra precaution wasn't necessary.

I'm constantly thinking about a country which is safe for girls and accepting of my son. I thought it was the US but honestly this recent incident in El Paso has me shaken. I've been here long enough and I don't feel like staying back any longer. I have a friend who is born and raised here. Yesterday we met after a long time. He says he's never felt different growing up in rural US but now he's very aware of his Indianness.

Meet9, anika987, Mistt and 1 other person like this.
  7. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Yah same feelings...I have seen concern on DH face but he thinks I am overreacting....
    I have never ever been following political news until recently...I did not care what red and blue states were..I was in DC most of my stay in USA, so I never felt anything there, coming here in southern states, I found the work environment so full of bias, and blatant yet subtle racism in work....I could not work there with my pregnancy and all the stress and left my job....

ladies from blue states! is it different out there? do you feel anything?

even I dont let DH take our toddler anywhere like walmart/target/ATM late evenings..its so scary..I wish we could move to a place where there are more Indians but those states are already too costly for us....here we bought a home, we were just settling into a peaceful laid back life that this fear and uncertainty started....
    exactly your feelings when you said earlier we were living with fear of job issues now we need to have our guards up for our life.....getting too anxious these days...such a bitter feeling..

sumalynux likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In a related conversation, do you all diversify investments and savings? It's hard to manage an international diversified portfolio but it seems like a good idea now.

Meet9 and blindpup10 like this.
  9. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

In India we have own different set of problems..but here, the worst thing is any damn person can just pull out a gun and point at you..I don't see mass shootings like these happening in India...like pyscho insecure people randomly going to mall/school/bar and start shooting....If we see Crime Patrol episodes, we can mostly say that the crime happened but it gave a lot of red flags and it could in most cases would have been avoided....

In India after Nirbhaya incident, most families and girls tried to not venture out in the night without proper safety....but still rapes happened and most of those rapes happened when girls were alone in night.. or when parents were little careless about leaving kids young girls alone at home with someone non trust-able....
    In my last India trip, (I went after 6 yrs), I could easily be aware of cheap guys scanning you and looking at you in the mall or walking on road etc..I would know where to be careful ..but here..you just are taken unawares I guess...

Laks09 and sumalynux like this.
  10. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Its tough to manage but perfectly doable.... as a person with strong liking to stability in life, I longed forever for a home which is stable where we live 30 /40 years..no need to just move around a lot....and I got exactly the opposite...always on the toes with uncertainty looming always on your head about jobs/careers and now more and more immigration..even if we have GC now, it feels such a different feeling..something we longed for but still not happy and secure..

Laks09 and sumalynux like this.