1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage Is Failing...help!!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by pinky2cute, Feb 14, 2017.

1. rajatsingh

rajatsingh Silver IL'ite

No. We are now married for twenty years. I don't even communicate with my mother. My wife, by her tolerance and patience has won the hearts of not only me but also my dad's.

Even my own mother's siblings now support my wife. My mother , due to her arrogance and abuses on my in laws, has lost my own respect first with me, then my dad's good will also.

Patience, understanding (with the husband)and accepting the husband's temporary ineptitude (to restrain his mother) by the wife, pays huge dividends. In my wife's case, it did.

My mother is now all alone emotionally. All elders of my family including my dad appreciate my wife as the sweetest DIL in the entire family.

My own estrangement with my mother took place , after ten long years. The reason for my estrangement with my mother is, her abusive behavior never came down with time.

A time came, when I myself lost my patience and stopped communicating with her.

Expecting this to happen within few months of Marriage is not only UNREALISTIC but also SELF-DEFEATING.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

madras2018 likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That's what I've been trying to get at. Man and woman should support each other and expect that support too. But if a man or woman is unable to do some things like stand up to parent, that it should be handled tactfully. Don't link that to generic society's man-woman disparity, Indian culture's problems etc.

In this case, there is the disadvantage of not living together, and it wasn't a love marriage for the bond to have been built before marriage.

A general discussion on inequalities in Indian marriage or the upper-hand the guy's side have, and how change is going to happen, is different from an individual marriage's unique problem. Beating up or berating a man (or woman) for not standing up to his/her parents doesn't help at all. Don't bring in things like "no decent man...." or "how to respect such a man...." Many decent folks will keep quiet many times. And many respected folks have looked the other way at times. Life.

sindmani, arch1984, joylokhi and 3 others like this.
  4. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

If I were in your place I think I would have done exactly the same thing. Sometimes doing the right thing may not be the best thing , but be your own guide. Could you have lived with yourself, your conscience if you had not spoken up for what is undoubtedly a moral and social crime ? Op, Every act we do has an effect on many invisible levels, all of which we cannot understand . This might have been just a small rebellion of one woman (you) against dowry harassment , but there are hundreds of women there who are actually tortured and burnt for the same case. You spoke your mind and instilled fear if not sense in your in laws mind and its still a small victory for all those who are suffering for this same issue . So do not despair , be strong. If your husband is deserving of a woman like you , he will come onto your side . If he doesn't I would say its his loss and only his loss.

sindmani, pinky2cute, SRK123 and 2 others like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

6. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

My family can relate to your point of view. Many a times men can not reprimand/ take direct action against their parents- not at least in front of others. It happens more often than not these days especially when men tend to stay away from homes largely due to studies/ career and hardly get to visit their families back home. Many a times, mothers of these men use that to emotionally harass them especially during marriage talks and definitely after marriage. and guys tend to feel that they owe to their parents by keeping mum.

In our case, my BIL was working away from our hometown and his would-be wife and her parents were living close to our ancestral home. In laws took most advantage of the situation that BIL was not always around, any demands they put on his wife's parents would generally get fulfilled because her parents would fear how their close knit society react if they would not fulfill increasing demands of my in laws. This went on for couple of months until last week of the marriage when MIL caused a big fight between BIL and his would-be wife. Everyone knew the source of fight but BIL and my own husband too did not object directly to that. The next morning, both men decided to take change, had 5 mins talk with their mother in private ( basically just told her to back off), visited the girl's family with my FIL without taking my cunning MIL ( she could not let go), promised to keep MIL interventions to minimal during wedding ( she was so low that she did not attend the main wedding function on time, people had to wait for her grand presence for 2 hours). No one was talking with her and she kept the sad face on the whole time. But because all the men in our house stood up against her stupid demands, and not really choose to scold her in front of people, we did not witness heavy drama.

Does she still act weird? yes absolutely. she expects my co-sis family to give everything right from monthly grocery. In last 2 years she has managed to break every possible relationship with that family but my BIL is closer to his in laws. They understand the total helplessness of the situation when it comes to MIL. The only solution was to stay away from her. Some people never change, but if the guy has a sense of what is right and what is wrong, the marriage is worth to fight for together against in laws. the key is to fight TOGETHER not with each other!

7. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP - You did what you did. I would never have been able to let someone harass my parents like that as well. There is a limit to a woman's patience.
    Wonder what your DH would have said if the tables were turned and his parents were at the receiving end of the pressure? I don't think he would have stayed out of it and let his parents get harsssed for dowry and let the elders talk about it themselves. It's always easy to stay out when your parents are the abusers and not the other way around. So don't feel too hurt for standing up for your parents and asking your FIL to stop. Who knows, if you hadn't nipped it in the bud there will be many occasions in the future where a lot would be demanded from your parents. It doesn't stop at the first instance until someone puts a stop to it.

Reg, your DH. Just text him as usual. Act like nothing happened between you. Nothing has happened between you and him. He is bound to be upset because of all the ear filling he gets from his parents. After a cooling off period hope he gets ok. Don't bring up his parents and drama with him. Even if he brings it up, tell him you did what you had to and are done. Tell him that you don't want to talk about other people and ruin what you both have. Slowly, in time he should understand that you won't take nonsense from anyone and also that you won't take it out on him.

8. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

OP you did right thing. if I was your place I would have done same thing. I wonder why educated people cannot openly oppose these bad traditions? Everyone know dowry is against and and its wrong. No real man will demand dowry and if he knows his parents are demanding he will tell them to back off. Even if you had not warned them this harassment would have continued for years. These day all women are educated and earning, all girls should stand firm and oppose dowry. I admire you for your courage. I think marriage is serious long term partnership and if you do not match/agree on your ethics, foundation its better to separate at this point itself. Integrity is everything.

9. samsWait

samsWait Silver IL'ite

Why should a girl's parents suffer abuse because a man cannot tell his mother? Let's suppose the girl's parents abused in laws will they suffer in silence? Why are they different set of rules when parents are parents for anyone? Do you think if for some ten long years the girl's parents are suffering abuse because the man cannot stand up to his parents but internally knows that abuse is happening and requests inlaws not to retaliate do you think their health will not suffer? Do you think they do not have self respect?

10. samsWait

samsWait Silver IL'ite

This may be a drastic comment but half of Indian men will not remain married will girl's have the same standard that is applied to Indian men