1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Visitor Visa Details For Mother

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Pearldrop, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

Hi, I am planning to take US visa for my mom who is a widow and she has been working for good 10 yrs until 2007 in a small firm. So my question here is while filing ds 160, should i select homemaker or retired in occupation? Also if i select home maker it asks for previous work experience for the past 5 years if applicable. Can i enter her work experience there because that was the only income for our family in the past years along with dad's pension. Also no own house or major property to show. Kindly help me.

2. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

Anyone who filed ds 160 for your parents can you please assist me in this.

3. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

I would suggest you to enter the work experience & have her bank account statement/pass book in hand if the officer asks for it.

Pearldrop likes this.
  4. happygolucky22

happygolucky22 Silver IL'ite

Hi, If you are really serious about your mother's visa then I would suggest you to hire an attorney here in US who can guide you through the process as for single parents with no active job and no property, the chances of visa rejection are very high. I have a friend whose mother is a long time widow and he is the only son. Mother doesn't own any property and lives with her real sister (friends aunt-has always lived with her since being a widow), never worked. He hired a good immigration attorney here but guided him in the process and even though he charged fees (I think 2000 USD) his mom was able to get a visitor visa for 10 years and has been coming here often.

KashmirFlower and Pearldrop like this.
  5. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

Thanks Soumya. Since its mentioned previously employed for last 5 years i had doubt whether to enter her details as my mom quit working in 2008.

6. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

Dint know about this option earlier. Yes i am serious about bringing her here. If nothing works out will definitely try this way. Thanks for replying.

7. Bhanulakshmi

Bhanulakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi pearldop,
    Even i heard the rejection rates are high if its for single parent.
    My friends parents visa got rejected as they cant show any property on their name.her father was a government employee too n not yet retired.n both the siblings in US.
    first one happened in hyderabad.
    Later they consulted ca and showed property which was on her brothers name as surnames were same with proper documentation showing the value of property..
    Second interview in chennai.
    N they got visa.
    Ofcourse luck matters but i would suggest to show any property back home may b urs or any ur siblings..
    All d best..

Pearldrop and blindpup10 like this.
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

If the sponsor is a registered voter, s/he can seek the help of the congressional rep. for a visa approval.

Pearldrop and KashmirFlower like this.
  9. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

I think Bhanu has suggested you the right thing. Showing property will go a long way.
    My mother was also a widow when she went for visa interview and most of her papers were set up by her travel agent. She showed her pay stubs, our house and mine and DH's paystub.

If your mother is currently employed its well and good and please be honest on DS 160 forms her 5-year experience is indeed valuable. The consulate wants to make sure that your mother has things like a job or property or business to come back to and not just settle in the US.

Bhanulakshmi and Pearldrop like this.
  10. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

Thanks Bhanulakshmi. She really does not have any property to show and also not working now. But i have a brother who is unmarried and working so she can tell that as a reason to come back soon. We will be applying in chennai consulate hopefully she gets visa. Showing the siblings property sounds as good idea. Will think about that. Thanks for your reply.