1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler Speech Delay.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by viki123, Dec 29, 2016.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

All,

I have few concerns regarding my DS’s speech delay. He is 2 ½ years old but doesn’t speak as many words as he should as per his age. He is very active and his physical development is up to his age. He imitates all the actions that we do or plays along with cartoons.

He understands all the instructions and does them (helping me at home, during plays etc), we do read books and he can identify the books when we tell the names. After his 2 ½ year check doctor asked us to go for hearing test and evaluation.

We had his hearing test yesterday and he was very upset and did not co-operate for the test with computer machine. After the sound test, audiologist said he has mild hearing loss, could be due to fluid and sent the reports to our pead. Actually during the sound test for low sounds he did react but did not look were the sound was coming, it seems he ignored it. His evaluation is scheduled for Jan 19th.

I am not sure if we have to go ahead and address his hearing loss which might involve tubes or wait till he reaches 3. I don’t see any hearing loss kind of behavior he understands all the instructions that we give that doesn’t involve actions. If I don’t responds to him we will call me amma and says few words as per needs.

My DH and my brother both started speaking after 3.

I am really confused and worried. Does anyone had this kind of issue and how did you deal with it?

2. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Hi @viki123

I am facing similar issues with my DS who is 2 years and 2 months old. My DS is also speech delayed. However, his physical and cognitive development is up to his age. He is very smart and can understand age approriate instructions.

Like you, I am too not sure what to do. My own nephew did not speak a single word till he was 27 months old. It was about 3 years when he actually started saying 2 word sentences. However, he was/is very smart and did reach all the other milestones on time. He is 7 years old now and is non stop talking. He is doing great in studies too. So, speech delay really seem insignificant now. Going by this, I like to think that it will be like this for my DS too. But still, you know, we always worry about something or the other all the time and the speech delay is a slight concern for me. For now, I have decided to wait till he is 2.5 years old and then see.

Coming to your son, it is good that you are going for a second test. From what you wrote, it does not seem to me that he has any hearing loss and your DS is progressing well on the right track. Sorry that I do not have any suggestion for your situation. I am too in the same situation. Good luck and please keep me posted. I would like to think it eventually will all be good for our kids.

viki123 likes this.
  3. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

One more thing that I want to ask you.

How does your DS communicate? Just by actions or does he try to talk and babbles a lot? Mine does both. Mine in fact talks a lot in his language.

4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

He communicates with actions mostly.

5. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Sandhya13
    We had his evaluation by ECI yesterday. He is 31 months now his physical and motor skill up to his age no delay. But he is speech and cognitive is at 22 months (9 months delay). They recommended developmental services to increase his vocabulary, 4 times a month 60 minutes sessions. We have decided to go for that.
    Will let know if we see any progress with that.

6. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

Vikki,
    if physical skills are good , please take ur son to india, and make him spend time with kids, as i had same issue with my sons, they were perfect in motor skills but they did not open their mouth until they went to india, they were so much attracted to ipads, phones. i was so worried for 1 yr and took my son to evaluation and they told me he has some speech delay, but my husband convinced me and sent out kids to inida, just after 9 months of stay he spoke to us lot of stuff.

Thanks
    anu

7. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you @viki123 for updating me on this. Somehow I just cannot understand how they can tell that a child under 3 is 9 months delayed in speech and cognitive development. I think kids grow at different pace and not all kids reach the same milestone at the same time. I really think that this will resolve on its own as your DS will eventually reach there for sure.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not saying that developmental services are not required at all. It is very essential for certain kids; but, just for your DS I think he will be fine even otherwise. Having said that, if I were in your place, I would definitely go for the services (it is not going to harm in any way) but would not be concerned at all about the so called delay.

Good luck!!

8. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@anu1215
    Thanks for your suggestions. But unfortunately i cannot got to india for long time due to work. Both my parents are still working and IL's busy with SIL's kids, so i can't leave him there either.

@Sandhya13
    Even i had doubts about their analysis, when they came to our home and spent around 3 hours with us and played with him. I felt they gave more importance to details. Though they said he is 9 months delayed in speech, they did confirm that its very common in kids and nothing to worry. The sessions they have is not just for him, but also for parents and teachers on how to help him learning to talk etc. We are going for the services to see if we can push him a but more. He just started saying few words, i hope this service would help him.

one of our friend waited till 4 and then went for speech therapy. Other couple i know did the evaluation but did not go for therapy. Their kid is 4, but cannot speak clearly. Seeing all this we felt better we go that regretting later.

Sandhya13 likes this.
  9. anu1215

anu1215 Platinum IL'ite

vikki , ask you inlaws to take care of ur kid, its their responsibility to take care of their grandson. i have seen many kids who went to india and speech got better and better

10. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@viki123 - It is a concern if kids cannot speak clearly even at 4. So, being proactive is definitely the way to go.

I have a few more questions as I think I too will have to take the same route for my DS.

1. Who does the evaluation? Is it early intervention services that are free or a speech therapist with whom you have to fix an appointment? In either case, does the pediatrician refer you to them?

2. Did you do only speech or overall developmental evaluation? Are those services free for you? And till what age is a child eligible for free services?

3. My DS does not go to daycare/preschool. We have a nanny for him. We only speak in Tamil to him. How would they be able to evaluate him since they speak in English only?

I really appreciate you sharing your situation with me. Thanks a lot!