1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling Bad About My Parenting Style

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by creativemumma, Jan 18, 2017.

1. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, Relax, Its not the end of the world if kids learn some dance or song from movies.You cant keep stuffing them with knowledge. That doesn't mean take them to movies frequently. But that doesn't mean make them picture perfect kids. They need some entertainment too.You are reading too much into kids response to the movie. Good Luck.

creativemumma likes this.
  2. mriduna

mriduna Silver IL'ite

@creativemumma - You are doing fine, so don't stress so much. I am a working mom of 2 kids (5 and 3). We have stopped going to the cinemas after kids (we do one matinee as a couple on one of our birthdays when the kids are in daycare) but we have taken an online movie site subscription, so Friday nights are movie nights at home. Kids also know the routine and get excited about the popcorn etc, if it is a family friendly movie then we let them watch it for sometime otherwise we wait till they fall asleep (we pack Fridays with a lot of activities in the evening that invariably they will fall asleep latest by 10 PM). So far sounds OK rite, but here is the catch I love listening/watching movie songs on Youtube especially in the evening or when cooking. So my kids can sing all the songs, know the actors etc. I have made-up stories around the songs as kid-friendly as possible. We are fine with us as another poster mentioned, in a way it helps them use the language more, have a better sense of humor. I do teach them sholokas and bhajans, they can recite those too but I still get a lot of guilt from parents, in-laws, other parents for not restricting such young kids to shlokas. Only time will tell if our parenting technique is correct or not, for now I just enjoy their mish-mash of words trying to mimic songs. Anyway, the point of me posting all this was to let you know not to be too hard on yourself.

creativemumma, Rihana and anika987 like this.
  3. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

With this day and age, I think there is nothing wrong with children being exposed to Indian movies. When I was growing up, I learned Tamil through movies, since I lived outside of India. Movies are a great way for children to connect on, so it's nice to see your twins talking about them.

I am not a fan of only introducing cartoon movies for children, because I find that it limits their world. So, I mix it up with Nature documentaries, live-action children's tv show (Doctor who, stuff on Disney Channel), PG Hollywood movies (Princess Bride, Jumanji, Harry Potter, Polar Express), and the cooking channel (this is a surprising hit at my house).

creativemumma likes this.