1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Same Sex Marriage - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sbonigala, Oct 19, 2016.

1. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Ditto!

Perhaps because having a child is a very conscious and planned out decision for same sex couples, plus the extra effort and dedication getting their own child takes, seems to makes them extremely purposeful parents. They don't take parenting or kids for granted... Not that heterosexual couples don't match up - just that their outlook to child rearing is in a different league and so inspiring. And the kids are very very much cherished.

sbonigala likes this.
  2. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

As I mentioned earlier this is what I believe in and this is my opinion.

If marriage is broken, as open to both opposite-sex and same-sex couples, there is really no longer a need for any sort of institutional distinction between a man and a woman. Gender would be rendered officially as culturally-learned rather than fundamentally prescribed by our nature.

Children have a right to be conceived and brought into this world naturally, and to know of their biological origins wherever this is feasible. Children have a right to the chance to be nurtured and cared for by a mother and a father. We know that life often intervenes to deny these rights, but we start from the potential for them to be satisfied.

With same-sex marriage, however, adult needs, desires, hopes and aspirations become the focus to the exclusion of the rights of the child.

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

What is ur opinion about fertility treatments in the case of hetero-sexual couples..?
    Specifically surrogacy/sperm and or egg donation.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    coolgal123, sbonigala and vaidehi71 like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The above sums it up for me. The sexual orientation of others is not my business, but their rights and freedom are, and hence I would be a vocal supporter of any law, measures, or any person needing help in this regard.

======================
    About children deserving parents of both genders, then how about this extrapolation: children deserve to live in a house with both parents, and not have to be subject to shared custody by divorced parents. So, now we deny divorce to couples with children?

The misgivings and opposition some people have to the concept of "marriage" being extended to homosexuals is a bit understandable. Took me longer to warm up to it than to just the concept of same gender relationships. Maybe, 'marriage' could be left as something that happens between different gender people, and same gender unions get a different term, while legally having all the rights, responsibilities of marriage.

5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Gender and gender stereotyping has been wrecking havoc in our societies on various levels marginalising the minorities. Now gender as an increasingly a fluid concept is gaining acceptance.

There are people born with an anatomy they don't mentally identify with. There are people born with a seemingly different anatomy from what develops when they attain puberty. There are people who embrace both

Shamefully they were considered freaks.
    Does it diminish their capacity to love? No.
    Does it diminish their capacity to contribute to the society? No.
    Does it make them less compassionate / considerate? No.
    Does it make them bad human beimgs? No.

Then who are we to deny them the stability of marriage and a family? God?!?! I doubt that!

6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The honorable SCOTUS doesn't think so. Every other opinion is irrelevant!

sbonigala and peartree like this.
  7. sbonigala

As a woman and a mother I can understand the urge and the wish another woman would have to be called a "mom", but if this involves a treatment where there are multiples of eggs being fertilized but only one being given a chance to live and the rest not, I would say I am not so much "for" such treatments purely because it is denying a life its chance to live and it poses much more health issues to the woman which poses a danger to her life.

I am saying this because I have personally lost a couple of cousins and friends to the "possible side effects" that are caused by such treatments and it did effect me a lot. I am still attempting to recover from the back to back shocks.

I am "for" those treatments which assist a woman to achieve pregnancy by treating any heath issues she might have that are preventing her from bearing a baby.

8. sbonigala

So are you saying that my opinion is irrelevant? :) Well, I would still reserve the right to have an opinion and voice it, should the need arise.

Indian supreme court says married woman must live with her husband’s family otherwise the man has the right to divorce the woman. So do we consider all other opinions around this irrelevant?
    No right.

We are not discussing whose opinion is relevant, we are only discussing what do we all feel about this issue.

Things do not become right because a law has been passed. Every law has its own set of pros and cons. Laws are only present to help people live a disciplined life and to ensure that they are safe and their human rights are protected.

I agree and support that LGBT sect should not be discriminated for whatever reason but should be treated with respect just like any other human being - wherever they are, irrespective of their profession and occupation.
    That's the reason I said 2 consenting adults getting married may still be okay.

But bringing kids into it may not be - because it violates the kids' veto right to be raised my one male and one female parents set up. I think the adults do not have a right to deny that kind of parenting set up for a child.

I agree there are so many single moms/dads raising kids. But I most of them, I am sure, would have gone through a lot of abuse, misery with their partners and have chosen to raise a kid as a single parent.
    Very few would have walked out of a marriage just to deny the child a dad or a mom.

When there are two consenting adults, we are saying the marriage is fine - be it between males or females or both. Are we also ready to accept open marriages, when both wife and husband are okay with it?

9. sbonigala

Ladies, right now I am taking a break from IL. My son(5) has had an asthma attack and needs my attention. Will respond once he is feeling better and is back to bounce his usual way. At the moment he is in bed, struggling with pain and we are running around the docs.

Please keep the opinions coming in. Helps me understand the issue from a different point of view.
    Lets stick to giving our opinions and avoid personal attacks. :)
    After seeing on a different thread, how people target and attack - I wish to keep such things to minimum and stick to healthy discussion rather than making it a fight and arguments with LOLs and smileys sarcastically and hypocritically trying to cover up that anger (but in vain).

I know I do NOT need to write a reason for my absence here but I chose to write because I know there are some readers who are ready to pounce and judge that "OP is unable to discuss this further and hence disappeared"
    This happened to me once, years ago. Have no intentions to be made fun of by some foolish readers who fail to understand that there is actual life beyond IL.

Thanks for understanding.
    Have a good time. :)

P.S : At the moment DH is with DS. I am leaving from work in a couple of hours, so squeezed in a few minutes to share the reason for absence with you all.

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My prayers for your son's speedy recovery.
    Hope he recovers soon, so that you can attend to this thread.

Coming to the thread, I differ with your below lines

What are kid's veto rights? The convention on the rights of the child doesn't say anything like the kid must stay with both male and female setup. It rather ensures, as far as possible, the right to know and be cared for by his or her parents.

Heterosexual couples bring kids to the world naturally. But when they legally divorces, their kids end up living permanently with one parent. Either male or female.
    If their parents chose to re-marry, the kids end up living with a step mom/dad. Again it becomes legal.
    We can't make divorce or re-marriage as something illegal.

How about the kids who have lost their parents (either one parent or both). There are plenty of parent less or single parent kids. They live with either mom or dad or with some guardian.

However, there are kids in an abusive marriage. There are kids in an unhappy marriage. There are kids in a slave-like families.
    But sadly most of these things happen in heterosexual marriages only.

If you are so bothered about the rights of the kids, you must concentrate on the unhappy/troublesome/slave-like heterosexual couples, rather than a loving, caring, respectful homo-sexual couple.

A kid need a happy, loving, caring, respectful parents or guardians than some cruel evils in the name of biological parents.
    It has nothing to do with heterosexual or homosexual marriages. Both sets have great and cruel people. It is all about the matching between 2 consenting adults.