1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation For Dummies!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Aug 17, 2016.

1. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa sir,

First of all, thank you for the nomination of this post in the FP forum. I am always honored to see a post of mine in the IL's very own Pulitzer land. :)

So you are saying that washing the face might wake up the sleeping monkey? Okay, now I know what I have been doing wrong all these days. It feels good to finally get to the bottom of the problem. Now I can fix it. I hereby bid a fond farewell to all my fragrant face scrubs and soaps. And if I end up looking like something that was dragged from the fragrant 'coovam' river, I sure do hope that my family remembers that I am in pursuit of a lofty goal here and cheer me on. :thumbup:

And Viswa sir, in the marathon of self-realization, you are the mare and I am the tortoise. :thumbsup: Thank you for taking the time for such an illuminating response.

shyamala1234 and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Meena,

You can afford to be without your make-up for at least 15-30 minutes before everyone wakes up. Please note that suggested time for the meditation was 4 a.m. and who is going to be awake at that time at home other than the seeker like you? Don't worry. :) My thoughts are like a mare and my silent sitting progresses like a tortoise only.

Viswa

meenasankaran and sindmani like this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

HAHA. Super duper post. i dont meditate at all, for if u have a monkey up there, i have apes and orangutans. my mind is going around and around, faster than a taxi meter.So my wife, she covers for me, i tell sit a little extra, and poor thing she does that, while i have a nice pot of tea, watching the peacocks swirling around.
    Get me ?
    HAHA
    Regards
    kamal

meenasankaran likes this.
  4. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Meena,

I had such a good laugh now...that was a wonderful write up :thumbsup:. It made me realize that I'm not alone, talk about my meditation now :D . Everyday 10 minutes is devoted to the so called meditation in my yoga class, and I love it so very much. For me it's time travel and dreaming :lol:...far far from mind keeping LOL.

5. 28neha

28neha Platinum IL'ite

ha ha ha i cant stop my laugh very nice :)..same with me .my teacher told me i should concentrate only on my breath.but i concentrate on everything accept breath :p:p:p. i just need to meditate for 5 min and in that 5 min i check time 3 times :p:p

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely hilarious! Thank you for the laugh.

My meditation story - I read up about mindfulness. Decided to count my breath going in... coming out... Going in... coming out... Didn't work. Im not sure i read up the next bit or the brilliant idea brilliant idea blossomed in my brain. Tried being mindful while lying still in a cosy room in the afternoon trying to count my breath.

Counted maybe 5 inhales and exhales. However ended up having a lovely nap, not waking up until it was a bit late to pick my child up from school. I've relegated meditation to my post retirement to-do list

7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

A very well written piece .Brought a big grin on the face.

meenasankaran likes this.
  8. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Meena,
    Oh boy you have hidden so many hilarious post inside your Bread basket!!!

Hehe only you can navigate from jasmine flower to oats to monkey dance to muruku in the name of meditation :)

How i meditate:

I bumped into one such class to enrol my mom. Yeah the same breathe in breathe out instructions were doled out. I closed my eyes in an attempt to reach the Nirvana state {all coz of Kurt Cobain & Tom Cruise}. The very tot of darkness reminded me of being kidnapped & thats all tata bye bye to all Meditation. I somehow convinced my mom to continue her classes without me stating i have to increase my study hours.

Second chapter started when my Hubby pulled me to Isha Yoga Foundation's Inner Engineering Retreat {a 3 day programme}. I did my tricks again: have cramping pain while breathing, have loads to do at work place blah blah....but but nothing could save me this time. I graphed extra few techniques: i sat few rows away from him & selected last but 3rd row. I closed my eyes and remembered Charlies Chocolate factory & was taken to his Loompaland.....lovely land & yummy choclates ....wish they had allowed me to meditate for few more days!!!!

The problem is i too have loads of monkeys within me and they never allow me to be calm and breathe......only difference is my monkey scares me that i l be kidnapped if i shut my eyes!!!

Sorry for dragging my fb....i am sure i myself will doz off after re-reading them once again!!!

Reason for Editing: my monkey made me to do few spelling mistakes!

9. maggi32

maggi32 IL Hall of Fame

Congrats on your FP nomination :)

meenasankaran and GoogleGlass like this.
  10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,
    All the tricks- oh very sorry, all the suggested methods by highly qualified people to concentrate on meditation is quite difficult to follow by dummies like me. Meditation is not my cup of tea, oh no coffee, because I don't drink tea.
    I have trained my mind only to chant slokas and the Lord's different divya namas.
    Of course while chanting slokas also I do get disruptions, but will start again from where I left.
    Glad to see your hilarious post nominated for FP our friend Viswa.
    PS