Why The Agnipariksha?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by beautifullife30, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear @beautifullife30 ,

Thanks for this detailed reply.

First of all, appreciate for understanding and taking time to post all the links to your quotes.

Yes, all of us do have the right to express our thoughts and question. It is a free country after all! Such questions and discussions are a learning experience and all of us end up wiser (I hope) by this attitude as long as a friendly decorum is maintained! As far as I am concerned, you have been good about it! :)

L, Kamla

beautifullife30 and vaidehi71 like this.
  2. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ma'am. You quote made my day! :)

3. kunjava

kunjava New IL'ite

Hi All.
    I had an opportunity to listen to a discourse long back, on this issue of Sita's agnipariksha in Tamil, bu a reknowned guru. It goes on like this.
    When Rama, Lakshmana and Sita were in forest, Marrison came as as a golden deer to deceive them. Sita was moved by the beauty of 'the deer' but Rama could recognise this as a ploy to danger and told Sita not to ask him to catch the 'fake deer'. Due to her persistence He left out to catch the 'fake deer'. But as a precaution he told Sita and Lakshmana that they should not worry about anything and requested Lakshmana to take care of Sita at any cost and Sita to abide by his wisdom. Before Ravana came in saint form, he wanted to drive Lakshmana out and leave Sita unprotected. So a distant sound was faked which resembled Rama's voice in distress, which made Sita worried about the safety of Rama, as any true wife would have done, She requests Lakshmana to rush to Rama's help. Lakshmana keeps telling and addressing her a respectful mother, the owrds of Lord Rama and not to worry about the 'fake voice'. She persists with the request and Lakshaman keeps resisting the same, quoting Rama's instructions to protect her at any cost and not worry about anything happening around. Sita lost her patience in a state of fear for Rama's life and finally tells Lakshmana what should not be told.
    Hey Lakshmana, you are not going to the rescue of your brother Rama, even after hearing his distress call. You may be thinking that if Lord Rama dies, then I will be a widow and then you can possess me. This evil thought may be in your mind that does not allow you to listen to me or your brother's call. At this point Lakshmana feels humiliated and decide to go in search of Rama. Then also he prays Lord to forgive him for disobeying his order. In an act of safety to Sita draws the Lakshmana rekha. The rest of the story everyone knows.
    The discourse then went about the agni pariksha. The tamil acahrya explains why Rama asked Sita to come clean after agnipariksha. Rama came to know from Lakshmana what transpired between Lakshmana and Sita once he returned back to his abode in forest and understood Lakshmana's feelings when Sita accused him of 'sexual desire' even though Lakshmana respects his elder brother's wife as his mother. It was an opportunity to make Sita feel herself the same pain when every one suspects her 'purity' though she is 'pure' in her mind and body. Any chaste person, be a male or female will be hurt deep to the bones, if accused of sexual intentions by the very same person whom he adores. How that feeling of hurt is to be known only by passing through the same mill of experience. This is the reason or background for Sita's agnipariksha.
    I fully agree with the above explanation since it also matches with the Hindu concept of 'Karma' what you sow is what you reap.So be careful in our words even in time of distress and worry. Regards.

beautifullife30 and vaidehi71 like this.