1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Rejecting All-girls, All-boys School, College?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rihana, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think I might eventually move to that position - After 18, it is their choice and doesn't have to be co-ed. But, even then, most likely I would be more hesitant about a girls-only institution than about a boys-only. Putting aside political correctness for a bit - the thought of a roomful or building-ful or assembly full of only females intimidates me more than one filled only with males. In my (mostly intuition) opinion, a mild natured and not so streetsmart girl would find it harder to survive in a girls-only place than a similar situation for a mild natured, not so streetsmart boy.

Using 'survive' 'streetsmart' 'mild natured' very loosely.

jskls and KashmirFlower like this.
  2. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I'm with you @Rihana, I told myself years ago that i will never put my children into one after seeing some of my peers enter a same sex relationship.

Then again, some of the most exclusive schools are same sex and I find it tempting sometimes to disregard what I already know.

Btw, congrats on being the latest moderator... just noticed it now :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I think it is better to send the child to a co-ed.

I went to an all girls college but trust me co-ed is better plus socially it helps them

Rihana likes this.
  4. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

I too went to all girls college it so weird after some time when I got job in MNC I was not comfortable to talk with male friends or get along with them .. I never used to sit beside them in the class .. One day in my training my trainer asked me to sit in between fellow male trainees I said no am fine here ..She said there is no gender vasthu here u have to sit .. Am forced at that time where everybody laughing ..I feel really odd now ..but after working for mnc for long time I became comfortable .. I never prefer that for my kids ..

KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I have to remember that phrase - love it!:lol:

vaidehi71 likes this.
  6. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

My kids had always been in co education schools which is common here. I prefer the same for them. Cultural aspects are different here and in a way is good.

Rihana likes this.
  7. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

We are talking about JAG's kids and no MIT on the list?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  8. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I am reading all these paisa vasool college lists - Caltech is right up there!

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I also noted that phrase. Have to say I miss that part of working in India - such terms. I doubt anyone in U.S. would use or get the meaning of gender vasthu. Gender feng shui doesn't have the same ring to it.

BTW, your posts in this thread had me googling and learning cis-gender and HBS. While i have no qualms in confessing I had to google HBS; no way in high heaven am I listing the other full-forms that came up! :facepalm:

sokanasanah and vaidehi71 like this.
  10. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Yes, slang is incredible fun, but India is great because they turn out to be multi-lingual with added masala.
    I agree! Props to that team leader / HR person or whoever came up with this!
    Just trying to point out that your qualms about 'single sex' schools is quaintly 20th century. The battle lines have shifted, even in India. Queer Pride 2016 march just happened in Kozhikode a few days ago!

vaidehi71 likes this.