1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Birthday Chennai

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

As Chennai celebrates its 377th birthday with great verve and enthusiasm what with heritage walks, nostalgic talks by eminent personalities, photo exhibits, contests, quizzes and competitions, the poor citizen is left to deal with stinking mounds of garbage, overpowering stench of urine, the intimidating traffic on the roads,frequent power shut downs and a public transport where the MTC buses either turn turtle or stop midway. Passengers of MTC services can easily find a slot in future Olympics, since this bus service moulds every passenger in to a potential Olympic marathon runner by making them run after speeding buses that never stop at the bus stands. Want to learn the art of balancing on one foot , or hang among the crowds without props- no need for gymnastics classes-Just a few days in a crowded bus will teach you the basics of both gymnastics and crowd survival without you spending a penny. Crossing the pedestrian way is a nightmare. where every vehicle straying beyond the yellow line, revving up its engine, look like messengers of Lord Yama ready to gobble you up. It is during such scary moments that we need all the courage of a Mary Kom to fight the daredevils, and with the thin line between life and death staring at us, our lips mutter an impromptu prayer. But just pause for a moment and look around!

Amid the blaring horns comes out the sweet strains of MS Subbulakshmi's Vishnu Sahasranama' - from the interiors of a swanky BMW, with the proud owner clad in the most fashionable Armani suit puffing away a cigar and the mami( his wife) sitting next to him, comely dressed in her 9 yard silk Saree, with strings of jasmine adoring her Wella coloured hair, chanting religiously the sloka, all the while waiting for the green signal. A small road side Mariamman temple and a Tasmac Wine shop jostle for space with a tiny tea stall, all the three drawing huge crowds.The Auto stands with its screaming sign boards and pious looking auto drivers, hide behind its innocent facade, a pride of hungry lions waiting for a kill and when a naive customer walks in to their wicked circle, they pounce upon the victim with a Prem Chopra smile, promising a very safe 'savaari' and while doing so wipe out the entire contents of the passenger's purse in one go.

When the tempting aroma of filter coffee, perfume of sweet smelling jasmine flowers, the divine fragrance of joss sticks, the nauseating smell of wine , along with the dominating foul smell of Cooum river hits you all at once, you know you are in Chennai.

While the pristine white sands of the long Marina Beach beckons every stranger in to its warm embrace,the undulating frothy waves is an arresting sight to behold and the gentle breeze that wipes off the sweat is a soothing balm to calm our taunt nerves. The beach has been a silent witness to scores of romantic interludes many of them culminating in divine marriages or ending up in frustrating suicides.Years pass on but the ebb and flow of the waters remain eternal and standing at the brim of the vast ocean brings sweet memories of my childhood -munching Kuchi ice creams and pattani sundal.

The shifting sands of time has brought in modernity where old gives way to new and amidst the milling crowds of the mall and multiplex I walk alone with my memories of the city that was charming and conservative but still pulsating with unbridled energy.The nauseating stench of Cooum and Adyar River might have put spokes in my passion for the city but still the aroma of freshly brewed coffee, sweet smelling jasmines, joss sticks and muted strains of carnatic music have pulled me back in to her magical fold.The crashing waves of Marina Beach gives a thunderous applause to the birthday girl, having stood with her in thick and thin. Happy birthday Chennai!

Kamla, maggi32, Viswamitra and 12 others like this.

2. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

My dear Agatha,

I can't recall the last time when such a powerful wave of nostalgia hit me. What a beautiful post! Life took me out of Chennai many years back but I have such a deep love for this city and carry so many fond memories of crowded theaters and restaurants, sugarcane juice vendors, wedding hall chaos and so much more. I want to thank you for painting such a true picture of Chennai for us. I loved it.

And happy birthday, dear Chennai!

Agatha83 likes this.
  3. creativemind23

creativemind23 Silver IL'ite

Kudos! beautifully written. I have seldom visited Chennai but seeing it from your eyes was a verbal delight indeed!

Agatha83 likes this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

My comment on this will be a slight addition to what I have already said while nominating this thread for the August FP. We can not only smell the city in your words but they bring the sounds and sights of the 375 year old lady in all their beauty and ugliness.

Agatha83 likes this.
  5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

Though I am extremely happy to celebrate the birthday of my birthplace Chennai, I miss the tranquility, calm and peace of this place, where I grew up. The humongous crowds pouring in day in and out have turned the city into a garbage bin. My intense love for this place has conquered all the negativity about this place, resulting in my snippet. Thank you for your lovely FB.

Agatha83

6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you CM for appreciating my virtual Chennai.

Agatha83

creativemind23 likes this.
  7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Aha Balajee, What a wonderful surprise seeing you at the birthday celebrations of my Singara Chennai. Beauty and ugliness, that they go together, could be said of any old city, but still some cities retain their old world charm inspite of all the human plundering. Thanks a lot for your nomination and your heart warming appreciation.

Agatha83

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,
    Wonderful observation.Your snippet made me write a separate write up on madras bashai .Though it is in Tamil, I thought of posting it in the snippets section, as whoever reads your snippet may normally know Tamil.

Jayasala 42

Agatha83 likes this.
  9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayasala,

I remember having posted a snippet in Madras bashai, in regional language forum, but the response was not impressive. Film actors Manorama, Cho, Chandrababu.
    Kamalhasan are some who gave the respect that Madras Bashai or slang deserved. Anyway thank you for your nice FB.

Agatha83

Kamla likes this.
  10. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,

Very nice snippet on Chennai. You had written it very nicely. I liked the way it was a couple of decades ago. I was born and brought up in Chennai and this place means a lot to me, so many nostalgic events happened there. Even though I like it, still the calmness it bore then has gone away. As you told the crowd and the various other additional aspects to the city has made that atmosphere disappear. My recent visit, a year ago, was showing an entirely different picture. But that is how the life is and the situation would definitely be going to get worse, unless the administration take things seriously and do their work.

Take care,
    Vaidehi

Kamla and Agatha83 like this.