1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One Kid Or Two?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by anothermom, Jul 18, 2016.

1. anothermom

anothermom New IL'ite

Thank you once again for the inputs ladies. Like justanothergirl said, a discussion on public vs private schools is out of scope of this discussion and has potential to derail this thread. The school was mentioned just in the passing, as one of the concerns, not the only concern, so I would appreciate if you stuck to the main topic. Thanks!

Sairindhri likes this.
  2. anothermom

anothermom New IL'ite

:)

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I once had a conversation about one kids/more kids with a friend. Both of us have two kids each, and the kids were like under 5 or 7 yrs at that time. Pros and cons of two/more kids... in addition to the usual predictable list of pros and cons, one that she mentioned has stuck in my mind for years - siblings are nice to have when parents are very old, and child is dealing with care of parents, plus, taking some hard decisions related to their care. Of course, a second child cannot be had for this purpose, but it is a thought that doesn't readily come to mind.

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I felt quite sad reading your post.you seem like a nice woman who deserve another kid.I really wish god provides you financially well very soon,ay your health issues get resolved and also bless you with another child.take care

5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

@anika987
    Why sad? i am sorry to make u sad :-( . I was telling my story to OP to kindda put stress that if they can afford to have another one ( afford in terms of financially, healthwise etc) they should. It's bful feeling to have brothers or sisters.

6. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I also have a 2yr old daughter and my husband and I have decided to just have one kid. We are in our late 30's and my husband works, I am at home with my daughter and just starting my own home based business. For us, it was a big leap just to have one kid...we kept pushing it back and then finally decided to have one.

We also think the same way, our first goes to montessori and if we have two, there is no way we can afford tuition for both of them, without our retirement and travel plans suffering. When thinking of logistics, we always worry about how we can fit two car seats in our small car, how will we be able to put two kids to sleep, how will we entertain two kids (right now we dont watch TV, use laptop or electronics in front of her, we read books, do activities and spend time with her ).

We like to travel and always think if we have two kids, it would be more expensive and more of a hassle with two. Another major personal reason, is that my first pregnancy was terrible, had morning sickness till 6 months and after the baby had a terrible post partum recovery, took 4 months to be back on feet and afterwards was always angry, irritated and short tempered. After 2 years, my normal self has come back. Both my husband and I remember that and immediately think...no way another one...we cannot go through that again.

I should note that we didnt have much help during or after pregnancy, no friends or family help....now after 2 years we moved to a place where there are more kids in the neighborhood and its been easier to make friends and manage.

Hope you make the right choice, each situation is different, for us its a sure NO for a second kid, though recently my daughter did ask about another baby because few of our friends just had second babies....so that does get me thinking at times.

A few people have mentioned about siblings...for me I have a younger brother and sister who both live in two different countries than I do. We try to stay in touch, but with busy schedules,own families etc...I talk to them once a month and meet them once in 5 years. I think over time I have become more close to my husband and friends then siblings.

I should also mention, that my daughter will not have any cousins close by either, we can just hope that she develops a strong group of friends and becomes involved in the community /public service as much as she can.

Cooks.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    startinganew, Bubbles and viki123 like this.
  7. leenarajaryan

leenarajaryan Silver IL'ite

I have a son now 14 yrs old.. We both H & W had decided to have single child initially due to financial issues. If we cannot afford same luxuries/ facilities to both children then we should not go for the second one was our decision. (Nowadays best schools hv become part of luxury). In addition when anyone asked my son when he was 5 he himself started saying that he don't want any siblings. He was happy with his cousin bro's & sis's & dint want to have his own sibling. That made our decision confirm.
    But in a corner of my mind I have always been longing for a cute daughter. I thought of adopting too but my DH & DS both are against that. They feel that they wont be able to give justice to her. :wave1:

startinganew and viki123 like this.
  8. anothermom

anothermom New IL'ite

Simply love this forum. Thanks to all who took the time to respond. Truly appreciate it. :)

9. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

there is no one size fit all reply for this situation OP.

I know single child friends who are super friendly at the same I time I know kids born with siblings who hardly keep in touch with their siblings. It just depends.

You have a 2nd child, you guys will pull through, you do not have a 2nd child, you will still pull it through. Take some time to figure out what you want.