1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

7 Years Old Ds. Too Much Excitement. How To Control?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by MahiSree, Jul 22, 2016.

1. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Dear ladies,
    My son is in Std:II.
    To brief, he has moved to a new school this year where few of his friends/classmates too have moved. So he's comfortable with the environment from day1. (I did post a thread a year before that he was adamant about going to the school where he had been since Pre.K.G. He became fine after 2 months)

Problem 1: Till last year, we used to drop/pickup him to/from school. This year we wanted him to go by school bus as my/my hubby's working hours didn't set for picking him from school.
    He's happy about going in bus. But we are receiving complaint from driver that he's not sitting in the bus and talking too much. If the attender (Who comes in bus) asks him to sit, he is not listening it seems.
    And he's teasing other children elder than him, though they sound funny, not everyone is taking it lightly. And once the bus in-charge madam called me and told that one Class 6 girl had complained about him that he's talking disrespectful.
    I was like, WHAT!!!
    I know that my son is talkative. But I couldn't digest this.
    I advised him. He's Ok for a week. And again I'm hearing complaints that he's playing inside the bus and not listening to others warning that he may fall down :(

Problem 2: He becomes over enthusiastic when relatives or friends (his or ours) visit our home.
    He tries to behave as if he knows everything. If any of his friends are playing out, he jumps in joy and runs behind him/them as if we are not letting him play at all.
    And while stepping into house after school, he says he would play till 6PM and then only study.

Also he's so innocent that he shares all his toys with all his friends, but none of his friends would give him a ball even.

He's very good at studies, sports (to an extent) and extra curricular. So I am happy about him except for the above said problems.

My heart aches when I see him accused in front of other kids. Though I know that he's innocent, how to make him realize that all would not take his pranks as pranks only?

Am unfortunate to bear another child and he being the only kid, I want to raise him as a wise, honest as well as a fun loving kid.

Please advice what to do?

Thanks.

2. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

No reply still :(
    Ladies please advice. Am I expecting too much from a 7 year old?

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I think your son just needs some boundaries set by elders, otherwise not allowed/acceptable, that msg should go to your sons mind, As in classroom he is fine i think, as u didn't say any complaints from teachers, the teachers set boundaries what allowed and not allowed in classroom.

So in bus also he has to know that he has to sit on his seat, driver has to stop bus and say till u sit we are not going anywhere etc, strict boundaries.

At home also with some consequences you can enforce discipline, it takes several months and lot of dedication from elders in the family. Like giving "cool down time" if he gets too exited, it is given like start timer, and sit quietly without tv, at one place say 5-10 min, later explain what is not allowed. Even if cries that is fine, he will get used to it. If needed u also sit along with him in that cool down time in the beginning.

two book links i am giving, it helped me with with my kid, need to consistently apply the rules

https://www.amazon.com/Setting-Limi...ed+kid+discipline&refinements=p_72:2661618011

https://www.amazon.com/How-Talk-Kid...69199992&sr=8-2&keywords=kid+discipline+books

guesshoo likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@MahiSree the whole post says that there is a attention seeking style in the behaviour of your son. he wants to grab attention in the bus, with the guests that he becomes hyper about it. maybe you need to look into giving him some family time, more time to play outside.

If he has no issues in the class it means he knows he has to follow boundaries. so make him realise that he has to do the same in the bus.

and how about telling him since he is not following rules,in the bus, the bus driver will refuse to pick him from now on. and also tell the bus driver to see that he listens to the rules. and regarding talking disrespectful and things, maybe you definitely need to work with him on what is ok and what is not ok.

and 7 is not too young to ask for a some more discipline..time outs if he does not follow (stop if it brings in clinging behaviour) and then from there on think of what works for you people..and also make him realise even as his parents you won't tolerate bad behaviour..

These are my suggestiong,to think not advices..

guesshoo likes this.