1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hubby career...ladies in IT industry..need your replies plsssssssss!!!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Mar 7, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Had started a thread about hubby career in jeopardy sometime back..
    Sometime back came to know 99% he may be laid off..
    he has totally 18 years exp but he feels sometimes too much of work experience may hinder getting a good job..

i don't know what to think...can a guy who is 40 with 18 yrs work exp get a good job after being laid off???

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

He will have to start actively networking, look up his contacts and apply! That's the only way to move forward.
    40 is not old. If he was 50+ it might be different but he should kick the job search into high gear right away.

1 person likes this.
  3. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, 40 is not too old. He shud have jump started his search when the boss was being tuff. Why the delay? You shud actively encourage him and rather not stress him out.One or my hubby's collegue started work for his company when he was 55. What does that tell you. Lay offs are common and doesn't come with age bar. Encourage him and help him as much as you can. Look in indeed, craigslist all job boards.Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. sslkgpaa

sslkgpaa Gold IL'ite

It would have been tough in india(that too depending on his role and type of industry) but not so tough in USA. Here mostly it depends on if he is on work permit or GC holder/citizen.

1 person likes this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Depends on his personality, contacts and specific field within IT. My best wishes are with you. I hope he finds something good soon.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sparkle19

Sparkle19 Silver IL'ite

40 is not too old.
    Tell him in search in job portals..

1 person likes this.
  7. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Hi!
    My hubby got laid off at 39-still searching at 43.But he has started doing Project management & takes classes for the same.Did advanced German and is doing transalation .Although he is yet to get but he is still trying.Please ask your husband also to do alternative side by side.MAybe foreign language/Project management training called PMP.If time permits you can also brush up on your education & maybe do something parttime to start with since you dont have very small kids.MAybe cooking/baking/Something of demand in your area.Instaed of waiting & being in that tension start something small.There must be something you are good at-Yoga/dance/Fitness.
    Cheers!!

8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Age is not usually the issue…its a red herring. Being relavent in an organization /industry mostly is.
    I can see how the perception has come to be …though….esp in IT.By the time one hits late 30s to early 40s most end up in some form of management/leadership. If one does not handle this carefully …then after a couple of years u become redundant. In other words..an overhead. More so in the software/IT what ever u call it..younger grads are churned out by the thousands…they r smart…have incredible amount of energy and can do everything we do….almost. What they lack is the experience . The wisdom that comes only after dealing with a few hundred releases and dozen nasty customers. That is critical for any organization …and we can leverage that but that alone will not carry us far. One needs to constantly hone their skills to match the changing/evolving needs of the organization /industry. So yes he can get another job..heck he can start his own company…the key to keep his skills shipshape.

JustAnotherMom, happyperson and Jey like this.