1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diet for 2.5 yr old

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by urusula, Jul 9, 2015.

1. urusula

urusula New IL'ite

Hi plzzz suggest me some foods for my 2.5yr old son.He is allergic to diary,nuts,egg.And i'm worried about his diet.his daily diet is:
    Mrng:soya milk with weetabix
    Lunch: rice with boiled vegetables
    Snacks:fruits,soya milk but he wont eat regular he refuses to eat
    Dinner:rice with raasam
    Plzzz suggest me wat to improve in his diet.Thank you

2. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hi.Here are some suggestions.Hope they help.

Date ladoos-Finely chop dates.In a pan add some coconut oil and the dates.Cook them till they are soft and form a homogenous mixture.Let it cool.Make small ladoos.Store in an airtight container.You can give these instead of chocolates.

Similarly,raisin ladoos,wheat flour ladoos,besan ladoos could be made.If you keep make some sweet for the week and store,it will be handy.

Chutneys made from raisins,dates,raw mango,kokum,strawberries,pineapples,spinach,beetroot,carrot too are helpful as spreads for sandwiches or as dips with healthy fries,chips or vegetables sticks.Hummus (if allergic to seeds then avoid sesame paste and make it without,still tastes wonderful) is another good spread or dip.

Cornflakes chivda with raisins and cranberries tastes yum.

Tortilla chips,khakras,papads made from different flours or even the jack fruit ones are nice.

Kurmura (puffed rice),suji,daliya,poha could be used to prepare different snacks like poha,upma,sheera,lapsi,bhel.

Whole wheat pasta,fruit kababs,vegetable kababs,coconut milk toast-fruits (substitute for french toast with fruits) on straws instead of tooth picks work well.

Baked sweet potato fries too taste good.

Try and include ragi,jowar,bajra,oats in his diet in the form of mini bhakris,idlis dosas,ragi malt,vermicelli.You could enhance the colour by adding grated veggies like beetroot,carrot or pureed ones like spinach.You can even given cous cous,quinoa in the form of colourful salads made with steamed veggies.

Different pulses like moong,matki,chana,various types of beans along with legumes could be included.

Try to substitute milk with coconut milk in desserts and you will notice the taste is enhanced.

Cookies could be made using ragi or any other flour and substituting butter for olive oil or any other healthy oil of your choice.

A traditional cake,dhonas could be made which doesn't use oil or butter at all and is made by grating large cucumber used specially for this cake called tavas.It can be substituted with regular ones or mashed bananas,mango puree,pineapple puree,strawberry puree,papaya puree,jackfruit puree or grated pumpkin or carrots work just as well.

When making chapatis include a little of soya flour and chickpea flour(besan).You can even add any of the other flours in small proportion too if you want.Hope he is not allergic to gluten.If he is then you can avoid it.

Instead of omelette or egg in the nest,you can make tomato omelette that is made with besan or use that for egg in the nest.

Smoothies using coconut milk taste good.Just don't go overboard with coconut milk.

If he is not comfortable with fruits grate them or mash them in his chapati in the beginning.Then slowly when he gets accustomed to the taste include it in other forms such as grated in koshimbir or kachumber along with veggies and then eventually as it is.

As a souring agent,instead of curds,you can use tamarind,kokum,tomato,lemon,berries,etc.

2 people like this.
  3. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ursula
    I feel your sons diet is lacking in good proteins.we dont eat eggs and my son has mild allergy to dairy , although it was due to some medicine he had a reaction to dairy but he was dairy free for sometime, so I can share a few of my meal ideas.is your son ok with gluten?
    I saw for breakfast you give him soy milk and wheetabix, you can try to offer some fruit like banana, it will add calories and also helps to keep digestive tract healthy.its is also good source of calcium.
    I would also suggest to try almond milk as soy milk can have some hormonal issues specially in boys, my doctor was more in favour of almond milk than soy milk.
    between lunch and breakfast , add some snack , could be a fruit or some home made cake or cookies.vegan banana bread is very tasty n easy to make.pancakes, waffles , cookies etc all can be made dairy, egg n nut free.all kids like these and they are healthy only
    IN lunch you can add a daal and non dairy yoghurt , or some tofu curry or legumes for added proteins.if y eat non veg u can give him, since we dont eat I give him some daal etc.
    dinner: I think rice with Rasam is not a all suffecient for a growing child , he needs a veg and protein.make Some Sambhar or even simple kotu with a daal and veg like bottle guard, or greens or any veg available is good.good thing about kotu is it gets all mashed up so the kids who are too picky also eat it
    At times you can give him sweet like frozen non dairy yoghurt ice cream .for my son I would freeze some banana and mango chunks and blend it with some almond milk and serve it as ice cream , he loved it. It feels creamy like ice cream but actually is a good serving of fruit n milk
    any indian dressert can be made with non dairy milk for his sweet tooth.
    you can check blog vegan richa, it has lots of awesome dairy free, egg free recpie.
    You can give him Sundal for his proteins supplement, like with chickpeas, black channa etc.

4. urusula

urusula New IL'ite

Thank u for ur ideas armaity25.I'll try those

1 person likes this.
  5. urusula

urusula New IL'ite

Hi cutemonster
    Thank you for ur suggestions. Actually he gets asthama that's y i'll avoid him banana.and he is allergic to nuts also i can't give him almond milk.i too heard that soy milk contains more estrogens but i consulted the dietian she said that dont worry give him soya milk b.coz no one researched that soya is not good for boys scientfically.He doesn't like non veg and i'll try diff in dinner.thank you

6. Prachi.B

Prachi.B Bronze IL'ite

:hatsoff .

1 person likes this.