1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Uthama Villain, 1st Day 1st Show Anyone?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by kaniths, May 1, 2015.

How was the Movie?

Poll closed May 11, 2015.
  1. Poor

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Average

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. Superrr 10/10

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes I feel kamal was too much in dasavatharam & vishawaroopam.. There were of course some aspects 2b appreciated but overall I wasnt much pulled by both movies. I was hoping may b UV would give me a break & was planning to watch mid week.. Now there r second thoughts based on the posts here, am back to should I or shouldn't I again...!

2. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Dasavatharam was still good except for Asin's overacting.
    Vishwaroopam.. made us yell..'Give us a break !!'

nb:- But vishwaroopam is better than Rajathanthiram :)

3. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

That is the problem. He thinks that he is the 'only' genius and 'hurt'?????????????
    He has to be grounded and he can give good performances.

3 people like this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

He he Kamal movies are a self genre in Tamil cine industry isn't?! Adhoda y to compare this?! Paavam!
    But totally agree abt Kamal assuming abt himself as the greatest genius ever, ending up poking his nose every possible way & the end result is mostly overdone performances.. Yet He is still god to his fans... They will watch whatever is thrown at their face...

3 people like this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Watched it... In contrast to my own beliefs & everyone's post here, I liked Kamal's performance in this movie... Not his usual overdose (die hard fans, no offense pls) but I felt he has somewhat toned down, yet very matured acting at the sametime... (May b like in Vettayadu Villayadu? No... Am not comparing, just wondering...) Kamal as actor Mano seemed very convincing while the 8th century Kamal totally sucked for me.

Being Kamal movie, ofcourse he will be all over the place... But liked his expressions in the scenes with KB sir, with his son (when he tells abt Hus condition) & daughter (when she reads the letter), When his manager tells abt the letter and the scenes just before surgery. Couldn't cite any memorable scenes from the 8th century Kamal story except for the theiyam dance! Like how Shankar mislead us with Vikram's Werewolf makeup, So is Kamal's Theiyam make up... Disappointing...

I try to understand the meta-movie concept, where the story of dealing with death & immortality are told in parallel sequences. The message is that an artiste lives on forever onscreen & in the hearts of fans. Did I get it right?! But somehow the team lost their way, the concept is just not delivered rightfully. This is just my opinion.

Nasser is truly a veteran, I have my respects for him... But to me, the 8th century comedy bits failed very badly. Dark humour they say it is... Really was there any humour at all? Or may b am just too dumb to understand whatever comedy that it is? 2me, Vadivelu's body language as "Pulikesi" was just enof to cause a laugh riot!!

I hate that Kamal has 2b a cheating husband, but moving on.. I get the purpose of Andreas characterization. Pooja? Seriously?! Because they needed duets but this being a melodrama it wouldn't be appropriate so they had to forcefully insert her in the 8th century just for the sake of song & dance? Such a cliché!! Ok whatever.. But Pooja??? Like how MGR had contract heroins for his films?? Doesn't Kamal trust anyone else other than him & his troupe as better artists??!!

Upon the mention of Char artists I liked the Urvasi scene where she is lying in the hospital bed & Basker in any scene for that matter... Also Jayaraman, his presence was minimum yet sensible.

My doubts?
    How come the teenage son accepts his half sister just like that?
    Or how does a daughter accepts her estranged father over just one r two conversations? R teenagers that matured these days??!!

Well, he has handled cancer concept better than Vazhve Mayam times. The final moments of the film when he undergoes surgery r touchy & what happens after is the end (of course!) & his message. The end was okay, somehow he has managed to converge both stories in a point.

In the first few minutes, his son's conversation over t phone + Kamal's lines in an TV interview in t movie pretty much summarises the film.

These are my opinion, not an actual review abt Uttama Villain & are just abt the movie only. pls don't pounce on me... :)

One time watch, just for the sake of all the hypes. 3Star.

1 person likes this.
  6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Got to watch this movie! This movie is a bag of mixed emotions - both comedy and tragedy. Best Screenplay - with both the stories moving independently still helping audience to quickly switch and connect with the stories and the emotions.

Needless to say about Kamal's acting in both the roles. The rest of the actors & actresses too have played their best in the roles given to them. Especially Nassar, a versatile actor he is, stands out as Muttharasan.

PS: Let's rate the movie using the "Rate this Thread" menu that you see on top of this thread. The display of the *Stars* besides the thread will instantly show the IL'ites rating of this movie. Go ahead...rate it using "Rate this Thread"!!

1 person likes this.
  7. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

One time watch for Kamals effort. As said above, too much expectations about theyyam which was disappointing. Why did he pick pooja kumar for 8th century story? She didnt fit that role. I did not expect much after Seeing Viswaroopam( I hate that movie). Some credit has to be given for coming up with some unique concept. Nothing more to say.

2 people like this.
  8. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Y to have her in the movie at all? Acting is light years away to her!! faintingsmiley

9. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Not much in the movie. As others said 1 time watch for Kamal's acting I didn't like the movie and pooja appearing scenes are boring.

1 person likes this.
  10. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

i think Andrea and Pooja compensate each other..andrea face shows no action/ emotions ..and pooja was full overacting.. and not sure who was costume designer / art director pooja coming with diana hair cut ..as a 8th century heroine.. :confused2:.
    Iam a kamal fan..went for hte first day show..sat thro 3hrs..The problem with the movie is
    Kamal age has strarted showing up.He shd stop romancing with younger heroines. His dance moves are so slow..it was comical
    the Period sentamil comedy just did not work
    the animation /virtual animals were the only comedy ..esp the tiger
    I think he had a wonderful story in his head..and the translation in the screen..by means of screenplay, dialogues, acting or noacting ..the movie lost its plot .I think he shd have left it to experts like comedy to crazy mohan etc
    The only good thing..is few traces of kamal touches in manoranjan character, Urvashi,Bhaskar and Nasser. Unfortunately Nasser characterisation is like a slapstick comedy

1 person likes this.