1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Table centerpiece suggestions

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by Rajnigandha, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Rajnigandha

Rajnigandha Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am planning my LO's first birthday and the theme is rainbow. The venue has many tables and chairs for the guests. I need ideas for decorating the centerpieces for those tables and also for the birthday cake table.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

1. Center piece for the table can be a flower vase (medium sized) with swirls lolly pop's. They came be made with bigger sticks so that it fits right in the flower vase. make sure to put one extra lolly pop in each table setting.

2. Small flower pot with multi colored flowers or a flower vase.

3. A small cup cake stand with multi colored macarons neatly arranged?

Are you sure you want something on the cake table apart from the cake? Its going to take the attention away from the cake.

1 person likes this.
  3. Rajnigandha

Rajnigandha Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the great ideas...where can I get colorful flowers (real or artificial) and where prices are affordable?

I was thinking of keeping M&Ms in a bowl in the center of each table. But DH says that would create a mess with kids around. What do you feel?

TIA

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Rajni, you can get the flowers everywhere! When i said colorful fowers, I meant something like different colored roses or tulips. Since its spring, getting a bunch of different colored tulips would work perfect. However, depending on the number of tables you have, you are looking at a big expense as fresh flowers are fairly expensive. If you want to match the vase also, you are looking at least at $25 a table if you are buying a dozen; 6 maybe cheaper. Just an estimate.
    see this pic...something like this. One tip though, research for any local florist. Ask them what is their policy about "almost" bloomed and ready to be thrown away tulips. The reason I say this is, tulips as buds are more expensive than the tulips which are already bloomed. If the florist can give you a deal on these, you may be looking at $15 a table.
    tulips.jpg
    I would not recommend a centerpiece in a bowl. The whole idea of a centerpiece is to stand tall above the rest of the plates/glasses around. You need something a bit above the rest on the table. If you are keen on M&M's, you can buy something tall and pour the M&M's/Jelly beans in. Dont worry about the mess. You are bound to have mess anyway and you need help with clean up. I wouldn worry about mess if thats the only thing you are worried about. Only thing you might consider is buying a plastic/clear jar instead of glass jar as kids might break it while trying to reach into them.
    mand ma.jpg

2 people like this.
  5. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    If you are into balloons u can try doing some centerpiece with balloons. They could be colourful and they could be cheap.
    I blew 4 yellow balloons (to a nice round grapefruit size) and a small red balloon to a golf ball size and tied them in such way red is in middle and the 4 yellow are like the flowers of the petal. I did this for the wall decoration. But the original video I saw was for table centerpiece. I also made some simple animal shapes with twister balloons. So if you like the idea of doing something with balloons check out videos for table centerpieces with balloons
    Have fun !

2 people like this.
  6. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Since it is first birthday and assuming that the other kids will be in the same age range, I'd stay away from m&m, skittles, any hard candy or anything else that could be a potential choking hazard. Because it is a kids party you would want it yo be child friendly anyway. Simplicity is the key here. Think about something simple that you can give away to the kids. Pinwheels, tissue paper flowers, an unfinished rainbow on a thick paper supplied with colors/crayons for the kids to make their own masterpiece etc might be a good idea. You can find small chalkboards at craft stores and might use those with a basket full of colored chalk to create rainbows. Baloons are always great at birthday parties but I'll be nervous with latex ones esp with little ones, although you can think of foil baloons, may be a rainbow ballon?

2 people like this.
  7. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

as its 1st b'day ,decoration are more for elders as kids this young will hardly pay attention to anything beautiful around them. these days the artificial orchids are very much in fashion & look great.
    afterwards you can carry them home.......
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.