1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

We Indians are a noisy lot

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jan 14, 2014.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jasmine,
    I draw comfort from the fact that you had a similar experience in a train journey.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

2. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Well written post sir. All of us would've experienced at least one of the incidents at one time or another. When I tell my family/friends to maintain silence/put mobile phones in silent mode/not to talk in loud voice in public places, they look at me like I'm an alien. Some times they even go to the extent of saying that I always keep complaining when I go out with them and I'm anti-socialdoh1

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dearkkrish,

I am humbled by your comments and feedback on the snippet.You must have been devastated by the co passenger chasing you to the departure gate.KASIKU PONALUM SANIEESWARAN VIDALAI-the adage is vindicated by your experience.You must however sympathise with the man as he gained corage to say what he wanted to say as he was insulated by the airport security.Some people who are angry with their wives shut themselves in a room look at an imaginary wife and atter a mouthful.They come out of the room completely relaxed.

Mere irritation will not enthuse the readers as they are themselves are in different stages of agony.When however combined with hum..Once again thanks for sharing your experience..our they pour out their experience.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

1 person likes this.
  4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vibha,
    I fully agree with you that children should be allowed to be children.There is a saying that if you don't baby the baby when it is a baby you will have to baby the baby when it is no longer a baby"However we imagine that our loud interactions with children in a public place to be a source of entertainment to rank outsiders-I would call this a height of optimism.Too much control is a matter for constant review.

Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chillbreeze,
    Demanding silence in our part of the world is considered to be antisocial and a sign of snobbishness.People should understand that occasional flashes of silence make the conversation perfectly delightful.I can your agony when request is brushed aside.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

6. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

good write up, enjoyed every bit of it.
    Earlier i used to feel very guilty of being loud and noisy but from past 2yrs im happy and guilt free i live in China and here you cant make out if people are causually taking or fighting over something, Chinese are way ahead than Indians in their tone.

2 people like this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Zainabsarfraz,
    Thanks for your comments.Happy to learn that you have found innerpeace by striking a balance between noise and silence.I had a similar experience in Vietnam when in the customary after dinner joke session two chaps were furiously interrupting each other and simultaneously laughing aloud.I watched helplessly and later on I learnt that they were exchanging jokes. Chinese are inscrutable including their age.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

1 person likes this.
  8. smiletoday

smiletoday Senior IL'ite

Hai
    Felt like reading a short humorous story but with a very good message within it.All the best....continue ur writings!!!
    smiletoday!!

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN
    Yet another fabulous piece from your magical keyboard!
    Once the famous founder editor of Kumudam, SAP Annamalai, writing in the pseudonym of Arasu answered a question whether it would not be better if we stopped making all the noise in Temple rituals like other religions, he answered in a monosyllabic negative. I agree with him too. I have visited Sabari Malai for twelve years. The crescendo that is reached when the Jothi is sighted is an experience that cannot be explained. If I think of it even now, my hairs stand on an end! Imagine a million people shouting in chorus Swamiye Saranam Ayyappa. How can I ever describe it!

Once my grand daughter asked me a question that when so much of sound was heard when Rajni Kanth moved his finger in movies, how was it that we could not hear any sound when our huge globe was rotating at over 1000 mph! I told her that it was possibly causing more noise than the human hearing spectrum could perceive. I have seen some ultrasonic gadgets that caused the rodents to flee. We cannot hear a thing when it is switched on but the rodents shiver and shrivel on hearing it! I presume that even silence produces a sound which our ears cannot catch. I have heard poets talking of a 'deafening silence'!

That train journey episode was hilarious! I could only recall Mr.Bean's train journey with his co-passenger reading a book and breaking into uncontrollable laughter every second. It was probably a novel of PG Wodehouse! I must say this about talking on mobile phones. People who are short of hearing tend to imagine that every one around suffers a similar malady and talk loudly so that they won't miss a word.

We have this natural tendency to view with suspicion any conversation that is conducted in whispers. They may be actually engaged in discussing a profound subject but we tend to consider it as some kind of conspiracy being hatched! Noise is indicative of transparency in our dealings. When a chap talks in phone in whispers, the people around him strain their ears to catch what he is saying. When he talks loudly people not only lose interest in his conversation but also brand him as a nuisance!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

really enjoyed this write up,Many a times have wondered how people loved others to hear what they say when it is to a secret .I have always felt annoyed when people switch on their mobile phones as soon the flight lands in spite of the fact that no announcement had been made .I have always got used to the idea of a child throwing tantrums while traveling as it has happened to many occasions.All a part of life,what to do?Anyway enjoyed reading your experiences and thanks for sharing them.