What to do with overnight cooked rice?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sunny side, Mar 30, 2011.

1. meenarjun

meenarjun New IL'ite

soak it in water during night and next day morning grind it along with soaked water by adding little buttermilk and salt in a mixie and take it instead of coffee or tea. It is very good coolant for stomach.

2. Shrisha

Shrisha Bronze IL'ite

Soak Poha(aval) - 1 bowl in sufficien water. Also 1 bowl or idly rice. Grind this mixture in the blender or grinder like you do for dosa. After 1 or two minutes add left over rice. Grind all of these together. It will be done in just 5- 7 minutes.
    You can make yummy dosas out of this batter, Dosas will be super tasty & different.

(If you have refridgerated the leftover rice, just rinse in plain water before you add to the grinder)

3. sehrish

sehrish New IL'ite

hmm its pretty late now but i think i can share my idea with you
    what i do with leftover rice is it doesn't matter which type of rice dish i have made i just make Rice Balls with the leftover and here is the recipe for this;

• In large bowl add rice, chopped coriander powder,chilli powder cumin powder,salt,garam masala or all spice and egg
    • the measurements depends upon your rice quantity and your taste
    • mix them if its too watery then add little amount of bread crumbs in it but it shouldn't be thick.if is it in wet form its OK use your spoon otherwise make small balls with hand and deep fry them on medium heat until golden
    • there is no need to paste rice because when you will see the balls texture you will see it as u have made paste of it;)
    • you can replace egg with milk
    • be creative and add your personal touch to this recipe :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  4. bhappy

bhappy Silver IL'ite

god, I hate old rice..I have tried my best not to waste it and eat it but I hate it seriously and I have wasted a lot of rice.. I am scared of that and always feel guilty of that but I hate it.. i like to make it into thalicha thayir sadam and eat it but i don't have the energy these days to do that :(

5. appcal

appcal Silver IL'ite

You can prepare fryums out of cooked rice. Just add red chilli powder and salt as per your taste. Mix thoroughly and make gooseberry or lemon size balls and let them dry under sun. If its not that sunny at your place then better idea is to microwave it until the rice becomes hard (actually this idea was implemented by my DH :p ). When they dry completely deep fry and enjoy eating :)

6. manu2009

manu2009 Silver IL'ite

hi!

happy to know that indian women are so connected.

I tried something new with leftover rice. sun-dry the rice and store to make chivada sometime later. the recipe we tried and succeeded was as follows:

1. heat oil in a kadai/wok and fry the sun-dried rice as we fry the papadam. keep separately.
    2. fry some pieces of dried coconut cut small and keep aside.
    3. fry groundnuts and roasted dal (futana dal) separately and set aside.
    4. make a tempering using mustard, jeera, curry leaves, hing, chopped green chilli.
    5. remove from flame and add turmeric. add the coconut pieces, groundnuts and futana dal and mix well.
    6. add salt to taste. cool the mixture till room temperature and then add citric acid and sugar to taste. mix well.
    7. last add the fried rice and mix thoroughly. serve the fried rice chivada as it is or use it to make bhel!

7. mslakshmi

mslakshmi Senior IL'ite

I grind the rice adding little water, green chillies as per our taste n the qty of rice.
    then I wil take it into a bowl n add, zeera, salt, zinger paste, corn floor, rice floor, maida, oats, atukulu in equal quantity n two to three spoons of sanagapindi. Cut karivepaku n kothimira into small pieces n add them. Mix all thoroughly n keep aside for five minutes.
    If u want u can also add onion pieces either small or long.
    Now ready to prepare pakodi. Fry them until u get brown color. They r so tasty n wil b finished in no time.