1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

New H1B - Employer threatening

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by sweetkarma, Nov 14, 2013.

1. sweetkarma

sweetkarma Senior IL'ite

Hi guys,

I have a quick question. I am currently working in US with L1B status. My visa is expired and my I94 is valid until 2015. Meanwhile one small desi consultancy agreed to file my H1B. I got the H1B petition approved but I haven't got any projects. I am actively looking for projects so that I can join the desi consultancy.

I am not sure, for some reason, this desi consultancy is urging me to join his company immediately. He says "As per USCIS guidelines you should join H1 job immediately after approval because L1 will not be valid anymore"

Is this true? I am ready to join the desi consultancy, but I want to join after getting a project. Not sure why this guy is urging me. Please advice. Thank you.

2. rose2000

rose2000 Silver IL'ite

Yes,as far as my knowledge, you should change as your status has been changed from L1 to H1. Your L1 is not valid anymore.

3. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

1)The change of status from l1 to h1 automatically happens by oct 1st as this is your first h1b. Technically you cannot work for your old employer now.

2) you said that your l1b is expired. Then you are not allowed to work even if your I94 is valid

4. kavithavel

kavithavel Senior IL'ite

You'll have to take up the job with the consulting firm, not matter what the projects would be, you may then look for better projects once you join them. As people above have already said, once you H1B is approved, your L1 is no more valid and you are not allowed to work for your current employer.