1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

100% home made Egg less 3D cake

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by chamu02, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Chamu, first of all, Happy Birthday to your beloved princess!

Secondly, congratulations! The cake looks so good and I bet it tasted that good too. I love baking too and you are inspiring me to make my own cake for my LO's birthday :)

Your question about cake not melting; how much lemon juice have you added to the batter?

Also, the cake topper is a barbie doll I see. Can you please tell me how you got that? I mean, is it an edible one from any confectioners?

1 person likes this.
  2. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

wow very nice chamu, if possible, can you please share the procedure

3. chamu02

chamu02 Gold IL'ite

Yeah sure Vidu , just give me a time gap . i shall post u the pics of procedure step by step that i have already taken :)

4. chamu02

chamu02 Gold IL'ite

Hi Rakii,
    Thanks for the wishes .
    I didnt use any lemon juice (Should i ? - for chocolate and sponge cake ? ) :hide:
    I dont know that i have to use it bc no recipe mention it !

Next the barbie doll is a store bought real doll - not a sugar candy or fondant doll. But how does it affect the melting of cake !

Am planning to make a mango sponge cake next , before that can u help me in suggesting how i can get that melting effect :)

And to underline - am a vegeterian that i dont use eggs - is it affecting the melting soft ? If so can i use egg substitute powder to get it ?

Sorry so many question have pilled up - but i really want to have this melting as far as i dont use egg.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Chamu, I had baked a few cakes which are eggless (my SIL was a vegetarian) and if I am not mistaken, yes, I did use lemon juice (1 tbsp). I know its more like a baking soda effect but when I did bake it it came out like sponge.
    Barbie doll: If doesnt effect the melting part. I was just curious, thats why I asked.

The fool proof way to get melting effect is to fill the layer generously before putting a second cake on top. I mean, in this cake you had multiple tiers right...having a fairly big filling in between will give that melting effect.

Some of my favorite fillings are Boston cream, lemon curd (I recently gave out a recipe for this), strawberry filling and chocolate ganache. Apart from this, since you have a butter-cream frosting on top and sides, you will get that melting effect.

Point to be noted is, if you are having more than 3 tires (with filling between layers), you may want to think about supporting the tires.

Since you are making mango based cake, consider having mango curd (look for recipe online) or mango pulp or mango mouse for filling.

Egg substitutes: Eggs are used mainly to fold and incorporate. So yes, for super moist cakes, you will need something extra if you dont want to incorporate eggs. My understanding of egg substitute is that, we have to choose a substitute based on the kind of dish we are making. Since its a cake, I suggest you go to a good confectioner and ask him exactly which substitute to use.

Here is my DD first birthday cake. I have NOT made it. But you have given me an inspiration to make my own next time!
    posting this here so that you have an idea for the next time. This is a proper 2 tired cake. Bottom is plain vanilla cake with lemon curd filling between the layer and the top tire is chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling between the layer. So, here you have 4 cakes put together. The frosting is made out of fondant and the giraffe and other toys are made out of edible gum paste:

20121215_124903.jpg

3 people like this.
  6. evelinrony

evelinrony Gold IL'ite

Hi Chamu,

I watched the link u sent me...could u please let me know what is the shortening...i dont
    know ...please help me...

7. janani9486

janani9486 Junior IL'ite

very nice and looks yummy too.

8. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

Wow tooo good to be real and home made :). So professional. Please share the recipe.

1 person likes this.
  9. chamu02

chamu02 Gold IL'ite

hi friend ,
    initially i was also unaware of shortening. But when i stepped in to the confectionery accessories shop , i saw the same brand that was used in prep butter cream in youtube (Crisco ) within my hand reach , so i picked one such to make use of . Later i came to know that this shortening helps in stabilizing the cream. So better u use it if u dont get still should be ok .

1 person likes this.
  10. chamu02

chamu02 Gold IL'ite

hi Rakhii,
    Thanks so much for a detailed explanation. And for a wonderful idea of lemon curd / mango pulp /ganache filling . How this didnt strike me ??? Anyways i have just come across fruit ganache i shall try it out once and shall get back to u. Regarding egg substitute , here we get an egg substitute powder (forgotten the brand name) but i hardly have used. Next time i shall try it out for super moist cake.
    By the way do u have any idea abt simple syrup - why, what for , how to make it etc..
    Anyhow u have motivated me to try many cakes - Thanks so much, But i have to tell myself several times "Chamu eat less cakes or tsk no cakes frequently "!!!shakehead hmhmhhm....i shall / will put on and on and on - being an hypothyroid i really want to be very keen on my wt control .Ok thats a separate juggling . I shall come back to u soon with next trial of cake . :) :) :cheers

1 person likes this.