1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should Husband take away wife's salary? How is that justified?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by stronglady2013, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Woah !! "spend it the way you like".

If husband also spends his money the way he likes, who will take care of expenses and other things. I think your comment was little far fetched...

2 people like this.
  2. shiltalks

shiltalks Silver IL'ite

He is right in expecting you to contribute towards expenses, as I am guessing he does too. But he has absolutely NO right to take your salary away from you!!!
    Start a bank account in your name - if you don't have one already. As pari80 said, request a direct credit of your salary to your account. That you can do without your husband knowing as it's at your office. Once the first salary has been credited, tell him. There might be issues, but it seems to be the only way of handling this as he doesn't seem to be prepared to listen to you.
    But I also want to ask - do you know why he is like this? What does he think you will do with the money - does he think you will blow it all up? Does he come from a very orthodox background where his dad handles everything and his mom does not work? Is that why he thinks you should leave it all to him?

1 person likes this.
  3. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Still there is some information missing. Do you have a joint account with him? After he takes the cheque from you, does he deposit in the bank?

If you have a joint account, you can personally go to the Bank with your id, sign on a cheque with any amount and get that money. Somehow I feel you are scared to do so because he may find out. ( I wonder why you made your nickname StrongLady )

1 person likes this.
  4. stronglady2013

stronglady2013 Silver IL'ite

He does it because he loves to dominate people.

5. stronglady2013

I thought the nickname thing will come up. Because I am trying to be one as i wrote --2013...

1 person likes this.
  6. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Woah !! 3 years and you still are letting him to do this. many have suggested that you should share the expenses, rightly so but you should also have some money for your own expenses. I find it hard to believe that you are letting this happen for 3 yrs and no one adviced you about direct deposit, joint account and how the banks work.

1 person likes this.
  7. shiltalks

shiltalks Silver IL'ite

It doesn't mean that she doesn't need to contribute to expenses - I think the poster was just expressing that the OP should have a right to her money which she has worked for.

1 person likes this.
  8. sanjana86

sanjana86 Bronze IL'ite

Stronglady, it is time for you to live upto your nickname and be a strong lady...! Why are you so scared of your husband? The law will protect you, if he gets abusive with you. Either ask your employer to do direct deposit of your salary into your bank account (if you have one of your own, if not then please get one immediately). Or else cash your check as soon as possible each time, and divide it justly according to the family's situation.

9. stronglady2013

Yeah, We do have joint account. I know I can create a direct account but it will create a constant mental torture.

10. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Agreed...the way she said it " spend as you like" my comment was on that statement " spend as you like"

1 person likes this.