1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need help urgent

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Helpmeplease127, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

OP, I agree with what Rihana has said. I have a theory about why you are unable to just be firm and sensible as Rihana suggests above. Your mother is clearly a bully, and she is manipulative. You have not really dissociated from her, as children are supposed to do in the course of their normal development.

Instead, you depend on her approval and feel insecure, uncertain, and afraid (it is a formless dread, but it renders you helpless) when you don't have it. She has probably spent her whole life withholding affection from you, and punishing you for not complying with her every whim and fancy. You may be stuck in childish patterns of behavior because of this emotional abuse.

Do you recognize these feelings and behaviors in yourself? If so, it might be a little easier now, with insight, for you to understand why you react like a helpless child when confronted with the prospect of her rage and rejection. I know she is your mother, but unfortunately, not every mother always has her child's best interests at heart.

Please accept the fact that your husband and child/children (who all have my deepest sympathy, innocent pawns as they are in this cruel game your mother plays) are more deserving of your love, sympathy, energy and time than your mother.

You are coming to this forum and clinging to the advice you get here, instead of taking action, because your mother has made you unable to think and act for yourself where she is concerned. We can only help you to a certain extent; your husband is the one you really should be leaning on if you must have another adult tell you what to do.

No one (except your mother) will blame you for anything if you stand up to her. We have a duty to our parents, but it only extends so far, especially when we marry and have families of our own. You have to dig deep and find the strength to do what is right and necessary.

We can blame our parents for many things, but at some point, when we are adults and able to act for ourselves, we have to stop blaming and start learning from the past, and act accordingly. Your own worst enemy right now is not your mother, but you. Don't allow her to have so much authority in your life.

If you stand up to her and just say no, there's a chance she will throw a tantrum like a toddler. She may threaten to never speak to you again, try to co-opt friends and relatives into shunning you, and other soap-opera like tactics. If this happens, let it happen. It is not your job to ensure she is happy or behaving like an adult. She'll just make a fool of herself. You retain your dignity and do what's best for your family.

Have you tried therapy? It may gave you the strength to stand on your own two feet. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for your husband and child. They are more important than placating a drama queen, even if she gave birth to you.

4 people like this.
  2. disillusion

disillusion Senior IL'ite

She cannot invite herself over. You should tell her she will have to stay in a hotel. This is what an American family would do. I think it's crazy for parents to stay for extended time and turn everything upside down.

3. disillusion

disillusion Senior IL'ite

That was a very nice post by poster Ansuya above me. Read it and reread it. You have a duty to your parents but it only extends so far. Very good line.

4. Helpmeplease127

Helpmeplease127 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the responses. I am trying to work on it. Thanks for making me realize my husbands not over reacting one bit I dont know why I am unable to think these things on my own sometimes.
    Ansuya, your response made me think hard and realize that when it comes to my mother I behave like a puppet even now. I have to change this and draw boundaries.
    Thank you so much everyone. I will be grateful to see more responses. It feels so good to be understood and supported.

5. Khanaksmom

Khanaksmom Silver IL'ite

HI
    I know you must be feeling really bad about all this. Please tell her "Sorry" and make some excuse and go for a holiday with your DH and have Fun!!!

6. Helpmeplease127

Rihana thanks so much for making me see husbands side more clearly. I am still depressed about everything that happened and now have decided to just go with what he wants always. My reasoning gets flawed at times when it comes to my parents. The thing is my parents when they say they want to visit US, they have their two sons here, one who lives very close to me. He is not a bad brother but he got swayed by what my mum told him and he took my need for privacy during my pregnancy very badly and he joined my parents in the fights that happened here.
    So when they say they want to come they also mean they will be going to my brothers and my moms mom, my grandma who lives in US place. My husband and I end up feeling what right we have to ban them from coming here. I really do not want them to come as well more so because my husband is so against it. My mum says she will stay 10 days with me 10 days with my brother who lives closeby and 10 days with older brother who lives in canada and the rest 4-5 days she wants to visit her mom.
    She is the kind who can make you fight for your peace of mind even within 10 hours so 10 days and 20 days is a long time. I know she might have good intentions of coming and making peace with us, leaving better memories and meeting my son etc or so she says. I just dont trust her nature though. She quickly gets jealous and her temper is very bad. On the other hand how do I say no for the 10 days she wants to come to my place in a manner so that she does not start fighting with me as I have no energy left for more fights.

7. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Since you seem to be torn, you will have to sugarcoat your response to her or give some other reason such as-you may be going on a domestic/overseas trip but dont know when exactly, or that your IL side relatives are visiting or revamping house or something like that.

8. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,
    Your DH is right , your Mom's visit will make you anxious.
    Just think that if instead of Mom your MIL was behaving in the same way then how would you have reacted??
    Treat your Mom like a MIL doing the same things and you will feel much better and not guilty at all.
    Any DIL would have created havoc if her MIL had done the same stuff.
    Your DH is treating your Mom as his MIL which she is.

9. Helpmeplease127

Thanks. Yes I realize hes right the poor man has been through the ringer for me because of my family. We dont think we will ever hear about any womans parents behaving so badly while she was still in hospital after csection. I went crazy in the hospital because of their fights. I will not be calling them here I have decided. Only thing is they are so upfront in inviting themselves and are saying they need a change etc that my brothers might invite them. I am so worried about what to do in the event that they invite my parents and they come here. My husband does not want to see their faces all summer. He says they ruined babys birth in may last year and now want to ruin his birthday this may. He says the same time and months and same memories will be too much for him to take and he says hes been very polite all along and now wont take more of this. He has never asked me to call them less or not meet them etc but he says just this summer they should not come and then they can come next year or even later on this year if they insist too much. He says he would prefer they not come this summer and we go to india instead around september which makes sense.

10. Geetanjalikumar

Geetanjalikumar Gold IL'ite

Many here have given you so many advices. Please try and follow them. Try to divert your mind. Ask yourself what good it is going to do to you dwelling in past. I have a friend whose parents are not understanding. She is hurt about it but she knows what her priorities are clearly. She never let it effect her baby or her husband. She gives them the complete attention they need.
    See, there are so many people who have unreasonable parents, sibling, spouse, children, friends, boss, colleagues etc etc. Most of us go through painful relationships but we learn to move on for our own good.
    This is new year, but you still recall old memories. It shows you have not moved on a bit from there.
    You need to understand some people are very unreasonable and there is nothing much you can do about it.
    I hope you are giving your complete attention to your baby. Is it a boy or a girl? How is your baby doing?