1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I stay in the marriage for my daughter

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by indigirl, Nov 12, 2012.

1. indigirl

indigirl Senior IL'ite

Hello Friends, I am terribly upset and need your views on this issue.
    I feel somewhere down the line, me and my husband have lost all connect with each other. we have no emotional, physical or intellectual compatibility.
    We fight almost daily including weekends. He constantly finds only fault in me and has recently started making fun of my health issues as well. This hurt me very bad.
    I feel we both are happier, when spending time with other friends than with each other.
    When he is at home, the only thing he wants to do is sit with the laptop. I long for an emotional companionship and in such an empty relation I am not sure how long I can continue.

Today also, we fought for a simple issue and he said that he has no feelings or interest for me and I can divorce him if I want and he will keep our daughter. I cried for our dead relation , as I have seen it falling apart over last 4 years. To contain my pain , I swallowed the whiskey that he keeps and I was fully sloshed and just cried and laughed like a mad . I am scared that I will get addicted. I rarely drink otherwise. We are staying out of India , this makes me feel very lonely.
    The positive aspects about my husband is he helps in household, and takes care of our daughter. I am in the marriage just for my daughter. But I am sure she will be affected when she grows.We have no inlaws or money issues, but our personalities are totally different and this is causing suffering to both of us.He has fought even during sex saying that I dont know how to do it , in other words it is not love making for him, but an opportunity for him to tell me that I am good for nothing. He shouts at me, if I try to hug him or get any physical closeness.
    I come from a family where we shared very deep bonding with each other. In my husband's family it is not the case. He is not close to his sister or dad. His parents don't share good relation.

I am not financially dependent on him and we share all our expenses. What should I do? Do most marriages go through such a phase? I am scared that it might only go worse from here. I have lost all my self confidence in this marriage. I try to collect myself and stay strong every time, but deep inside I am loosing interest in life.
    My husband is a bully by nature. I wanted to vent my feelings here,as I cant tell all this to my family. They will get very worried.

2. whatisaguytodo

whatisaguytodo Gold IL'ite

Try relationship counseling first. If he doesn't want to I'd suggest getting out. Your daughter is going to think that's how men should treat women if you stay in the relationship.

3. nandita24

nandita24 Gold IL'ite

I feel you should get a life of your own. Be bold and take a stand.

Nandita

4. Eraser

Eraser Silver IL'ite

First and foremost, please check if he has addiction to alcohol - don't ask him and fuel the problems more, but find it by yourself.

If he has no addiction, please give him space that he wants (even if it is to spend 24 hrs in his laptop) for him to take a retrospective on his actions himself - Try not to interfere for 2 weeks but during that time, you behave very normal but don't bother him.

Park your seeking-emotional-companionship-relationship etc., aside for that 2 weeks and during that period, you also take a look at where all you could've avoided irritating him. In process of you loging for something from him, you might have irritated him.

5 people like this.
  5. sumaramesh

sumaramesh New IL'ite

Divorce is not the only solution . Unless it involves Cheating spouse, and physicall/morally abusing spouse..

Whey dont you make an effort to find out, what is going wrong from your end, make a list of all mistakes you feel
    you are doing in marriage, and try and change it for a while and see if it helps marriage..

His mistakes are always there, but y dont you start by thinking/making a list of yours and try correcting it,
    take some time out and discuss with him, be very calm and open minded and ask what mistakes he finds in
    you and what could you make to correct it, (slowly when things comes to track you can also point out his mistake
    and expect him to correct,) Men has 100% ego more than women, unless you are ready to give in , i am sure he wont yield.

You said,
    a. He helps in House hold,
    b. He takes care good of your daughter,
    c. There is no in-laws problem.
    d. There is no financial problem.
    e. Looks like he doesnt have extra marital affairs.

So there should be some reasons, of why he blames you, or why he is not showing interest in marriage.
    May be some unresolved fights, men carry grudge too, try to talk and solve it...

BTW u havent mentioned, if your marriage is like this from day 1 ?

4 people like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP, nice suggestions from Eraser.

In addition to letting DH be for 2 weeks, be visibly happy in that time. Pursue an activity, watch some TV, start something new with your daughter, be a happy person. Your husband has a laptop, you also have one, don't you? :)

Such phases do come in marriages. To answer your question - yes, stay in the marriage for your daughter. Make the stay as pleasant as possible for you and your husband and daughter.

3 people like this.
  7. marilynprisca

marilynprisca Silver IL'ite

dear,

most of the men dont talk too much...they are too much close to thier laptop iphone etc...whatever you have written is same in my case...he is too close to my daughter...with me he finds fault....most of the cas i ignore it...som place i give a sarcastic smile and go....some i speak back which is very rare...but never i thought abt divorce in my life....keep yourself relaxed...when he is completely in his laptop...you enjoy cookig..take care of your daughter..speak to her...give yourself a me time.....once you start enjoying on your own...he will start approaching you....i heard somewhere that women has 14000 words to speak in a day and men has only 7000 words, which they finish in office and remaining with the daughter and if any left finding fault in us...so just chill..and be happy and keep praying and meditating....tc...

6 people like this.
  8. indigirl

indigirl Senior IL'ite

Thanks all for your replies. It gave me so much mental support. Some of the responses are just like the way my elder sis would have comforted and consoled me.
    There are certain shortcomings in me, My husband is a perfectionist and I can never match hsi standard when I am juggling so many chores together- full time Job, house and an active toddler. The house is often in a mess and a clean house is most important to my hubby. I think this is the biggest reason of all. But I just cant seem to find time and energy to do daily cleaning in addition to other works.I am just unable to maintain a clean house. and not to mention his disssatisfaction about my skills in bed, we both are unhappy with each other on this aspect.
    He helps me a lot daily but my DD throws toys in the entire house, throws food on sofa and floor. She is small,I cant discipline her.He is angry that I am still nursing my daughter which has made her low in weight. He is a man of only actions and no loving words.

9. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

To be frank I also struggled lot in this area and learned a lot.it's simply priorites how our minds things.Try to change your mind set a little.
    1)Size down your DD toys.If she is going to play center,she doens't really need to so many toys.So size down and assign a single room.
    2)Cut down on food cooking
    3)Call cleaners whenever you needed
    4)Once he understand that you giving importance to his feelings then he will try to work towards you.Don't ignore his priorites.Once you start working and putting effort then things will fall place slowly.

In my view this is wrong judgmenet.Decipline should start from early age then it's get easy on you.In later it's difficult to discipline kids.Make her to eat at one place.It may take one or two week struggle but you will get there.All of you sit and eat at family dinner place.
    I am not sure how old is your DD though.If you are really suffering may be it's time think about your BF too.You are exausted.When you are exsauted then it's not good to BF a kid.First take care of yourself.

But you need to remember.Not all our thinking is right.There is always better relation if you try to work on things which other person is intersted.At end of the day ,definitly you would see encouraging environement.

That's big no no Mom.You got o buckle up.I know it's motherly love for a small kid.But that's not right.You need to lovely whenever neded and you need to be stict on areas which needed.Beleive me later it's hard to discipline.This is the right age.

5 people like this.
  10. marilynprisca

marilynprisca Silver IL'ite

whatever ur mentioned earlier i have gone thru this...try to keep a cleaner to clean the entire house properly atleast once a week.....believe me your life will become easy...as you have to just cook ur food and also clean up the mess ur baby creates....also stress level will decrease from both the side and fights will be automatically recuced..tc..

2 people like this.