1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking hassle

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by google, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sravani1989

Sravani1989 New IL'ite

I wish you mother in law and my husband also understand how much we are trying to make them happy.

2. kkmom

kkmom Silver IL'ite

:2thumbsup:

3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

In my case, since I dont have a MIL, my co-sis took up this job quite wonderfully .... And managed to spoil my peace from year 4-year 7 of my marriage until I stopped bothering about her comments !!!

Similar comments - you dont know cooking (her kids would have cleaned the plate!!!), you cant make our traditional foods (FIL would have enjoyed my traditional pachadis made in more healthy way), this chutney doesnt match this dosa (BIL would be asking for seconds and thirds)... and later, when no one else (males of the family) is around, ask for the same recipe :)

Dont worry, google, think they're jealous of your place in your hubby's heart :)

With women, (and probably men too), it is always a matter of one-upmanship and they want to destroy your self-esteem and your reputation so that they can look good... but they dont know that quiet dignity is more respected than loud show offs :)

4. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Let your mil do all the cooking. Good na you eat nd enjoy...let her say whatever she wants to. My mil also said a lot...OK there is this masoor dal which was never eaten in my family but my hubby likes it a lot. So I make it...now we know making dal is no rocket science...but he always says that my dal tastes like his mom's!!! He is happy;-)...there were some recipes which I found online and started cooking...these also came out well and luckily similar to his mom's...so again he is happy! So it really does not matter as long as there is peace in the family! In fact I do sincerely praise some of my mils dishes...she really makes fantastic chole bature ....plan to learn from mil this time;-)

5. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

don't worry about your DH, they are like lota without base (spherical water vessel of brass, copper or plastic used in parts of South Asia, don't know what to call in english) Once mom is out, he has to eat what you make, unless he wants to try his hand at cooking. You mil is J, so give ignore her comments. My mil always want to show how great a cook she is and want to teach me her style. I have learnt all the cooking i need to know, so whenever she is cooking, i thank her for all the food and get down to doing something else ( walk, shop, grocery etc) do appreciate her cooking in front of your DH and IGNORE her comments...

6. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

In my next birth, I would like to born as an Indian son inlaw. THen, both my mother and wife will fight over me and try to compete with each other to make new dishes ;) seriously, we DIL's do all this and then spoil our DH trying to mother him :) then we post in the married life section - "my husband does not help me with any house hold work" :))

3 people like this.
  7. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

really loved this sentence of yours...... u are amazing :)

8. NilamKhushi

NilamKhushi Senior IL'ite

Hey Don't Worry, I am in the same situation but worst part is even though I cook daily my MIL gets appreciation, my MIL starts praising about herself at the dining table. If i cook some curry she says I had done it would be in a different way and that tastes better. So my DH listens to all these and says yes mom used to cook this and that in childhood and every one forgets about what they are eating at that moment. Every day I pack lunch and snacks for my DH but after coming from office he says "Mom , tomorrow give me apple instead of orange and mom dont pack lunch for me I have a party...." hearing this I say I cook and pack your lunch daily morning why don't you address me while saying this, my DH says " You are also in the same room , Its audible to you also.." after listening to this, I feel like I am the maid of the house and need to orders from his mom before cooking.

But now a days I started ignoring all these, I am only doing things what ever he says to me and behaving like a typical old movie saying "I am not supposed to hear Mom-Son conversation , its not a good habit...." with a sharmili smile :) and now thats irritating my DH :thumbsup

what I suggest you is let your MIL be a good cook and give her all kitchen responsibility, sit back and relax, cook for you son seperately.. All the best!