1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help Needed with dealing with 5 yr old

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by BHARGHAVI, Sep 11, 2012.

1. BHARGHAVI

BHARGHAVI Senior IL'ite

hi ILites give me some suggestions how to deal with my son

A simple example he is 5 yrs old goes to kindergarten and from past couple of weeks he is neglecting my words doesnt listen what i say he says i know nevermind he doesnt have the patience to listen how to deal with this

i feel somewhat dejected and the result is i scream sometimes hit him i know what i do is wrong ls suggest some ideas

Another example is today morning i went to leave him to the school he was in a hurry to see his friends i agree see i dont know what others think he never comes with me he runs and i saw feel couple of moms all their kids stay with them until the bell rings and he doesnt care he runs and plays and he got hurt in the playground when i called him "come here" he is saying let me go no problem i know he was hurt in his private part with the metal rod

did he think i am going to scold or what i am mom to do i keep hurting him it hurts me a lot ??????

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012

2. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi, bhargavi

every kid is unique, why do you feel to compare your kid with other kids. just spend some me time with your kid alone at home, that helps in restricting the negative attention seeking behaviour of kids.seems like your 5yr old like to be energetic and sportive, give him more playactivities or join him in some classes which can mould him with his energy.at this age everykid is like that once they enter the school premise their total environment changes, so stop worrying dear .
    a small suggestion ; hurting and shouting to a great extend at this age make them more adamant, so why not control. why not try calm and smiling way of handling. a stare and silence work for kids to great extend try out

3. pinkz

pinkz New IL'ite

i went thru some difficult times with mine too. he's seven now. but he is slowly maturing now. but around age 5 he too would do this. boys are so full of energy at this age i think they donno what to do with it. i used to get upset with him but now i regret it, what you can do is, maybe next time he does something naughty just smile at him and continue with what you do. he will notice that you didnt get upset. he may try it some more times. try to be patient. later before he sleeps you can talk about it to him and let him know that you were a little sad today because of how he behaved. he will realize that you are not a monster. some days maybe bad but very slowly he will realize that you are not shouting so much at him.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hey Bhargavi,

he is 5 and he has started school. Perhaps he is super excited and also has lots of energy. Hie behaviour seems typical for many 5 year olds. That said, all you should do is get his attention and talk with him paiently - tell him even if he knows, he need to listen to you. As for his getting hurt may be he was not hurt and didn't want to feel embarassed with mom fussing over. Many kids go through that phase, it is ok. Perhaps speaking with him at home before you bring to school about staying with you till the bell goes off might get him into the habit of waiting. And as a mother, don't read much into what the child thinks about you - he only loves you. So take it easy. You are doing awesome!

1 person likes this.
  5. BHARGHAVI

BHARGHAVI Senior IL'ite

hey ladies thanks a lot for replies now i feel am relieved for some extent ya we usually speak at night he listens and ok wont do it again but the next second he forgets and moves on yaa i can understand today was bit embrassed so just poured out to you ladies i also know we would have done this when we were at that age so our moms have tackled us so we can also tackle them

jst one more thing how will you control your anger when required i lack patience pls suggest

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

No worries Bhargavi. As moms we go through these phases - you are not alone! As for anger, no easy way other than to catch yourself at the nick of the time reminding yourself. As always counting to 10 works wonders. We learn a lot as moms and not getting angry is one of them. It is only a matter of time before you can master it. Then once you show control, you will be amazed at how much it seems like your child is suddenly listening to you and has changed so much. Best wishes!

7. BHARGHAVI

BHARGHAVI Senior IL'ite