Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Leo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

Hi Amar

Thanks for the tips. My doc did not aks me to check for ketones in urnine till now. Maybe I will aks her about it.

I think I have reduced my carb intake over meals but usually till now was having some carb in between meals also. like apple, biscuits etc. Basically splitting it, to give the body some time to process it.

I read on the net and in some books that wheat products like lapsi and oats take a long time to digest and work very slowly ... only a small amount of carb is released at a time there by maiking it easier for the body to process it. I am going to start measuring before meals from today, lets see how it goes.

Was reading somewhere Karela is good for this but somewhere else it says karela is bad for pregnancy. Are you girls trying any home remedies?

Amar when is your due date? First baby?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Hi keerti,
    Didnt your dietitian tell about spacing meals? Actually with GD, there should be at least 2.5 hrs between meals and snacks. This time is to stabilize bG level after each meal.And no more than 3- 3 .5 hrs between meals and snacks to avoid low bG levels..

Yeah..India is the diabetic capital of world..it's so good that you were able to get some advices from nutritionist in India. My due is Aug 14..we are kind of close in due date:)

What are the 5 times you check for bG? Just curious about 5 th prick. Are you checking it after 1 hr or 2 hr after meal?

What is lapsi? Is it the cracked wheat(sooji) we get in India?

I also read somewhere that karela is bad for pregnancy. But I think its like if you eat it everyday. As a normal veg, you can take it. I am having it(cooked, not juice) once in a week or so..Diabetic people will take fenugreek seeds soaked in water as a first thing in the morning which will help in regulating sugar levels. But when I enquired an Ayurvedic dr back home, he said we are not supposed to take that in pregnancy,

Anyone tried millet/ raagi?

3. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

No she did not say anything about time between meals in spite of my telling her I snack 2 times a day, one at 10 between breakfast-lunch, and at 4 between Lunch-dinner. She just smiled and has asked me to measure 6 times:drowning a day and get back in 10 days. The six times and targets are like this

1.Fasting target < 90
    2. 2 hours after breakfast < 120
    3.Just before Lunch < 95
    4.2 hours after lunch < 120
    5.Just before dinner <95
    6.2 hours after dinner < 120

yes Lapsi is broken wheat. It is also called dalliya. I think it is different from suji.Suji is rava is it not? I think suji is more refined version maybe? Not sure. Here in the indian shop the packet says "Lapsi"

Ya our due dates are really close. Can't wait for the baby to come.:)

4. amar72

amar72 Senior IL'ite

Hi kirthi,
    My due is around 20th sep and this is my seccond baby.My first one will be 10 year old when this baby will come.So its a big gap.
    yes i have heard about karela also but i am not going to give any try to anything for which i am not sure.i am having karela like normal veggesa once or twice a week.
    You are right about craked wheat.it have low glycemic index value.quinoa,millet and barley also hev low glycemic index.
    I know about fenugreek seeds also but as l told you no try...........
    I am pricking 4 times daily.when did you know about gd?

like S always said you slould space your meals and add lots of protein with carbs in you meals which will stuff you for hours.If you eat chicken it will be easy for u to handle gd.add chicekn to both the meals.

amar72

Amar

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. amar72

amar72 Senior IL'ite

Hi Happy soul,
    Currently i am on glyburide 2.5 and still my morning after breakfast levelse are high.bet/n140-150.other then these levels all the 3 levels are in control.I don,t know what my dr. is going to do next beacause if he will bump the dose othe levels which are in good conterl will go low.please suggeat me shall i advice him for insulin ?
    I am having 1 ororwheat bread(17 carbs) 1 egg amd 1.5 slice of cheese.My dietitian is forcing me to have more carbs but my nurse has reduced my morning carbs but still its not working.i can not go anything less then this.Very confused what to do.

Amar

Amar

6. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

I am a vegetarian but eat eggs, so have started eating that with salad ( with beans for more protein) for breakfast.

I came to know about GD about 3 weeks back. Gyn asked me to keep track 4 times day and gave appointment with another doc after 1 week for more details. Now I met this doc 3-4 days back and she has asked me to keep track 6 times a day and come back in 12 days.

7. amar72

amar72 Senior IL'ite

HI,
    we are same coz i eat eggs not chicken.You told that you are eating beans for proteins.yes they are good source of proteins but they have carbs too so you have to carbs counts in brans too.Indian food is very tricky.i had black eye peas yesterday night and my readinds were 130 so make sure to count carbs also.i am telling every time to have some protein shake at the end of meal it will reduce readings and walk for atleast 20-225 mints after every meals.

Amar

8. nupur12

nupur12 New IL'ite

Re: Gestation Diabetes

Hi Leo,
    congratulation for your pregnancy!!!!!
    There is no need to be worried about this problem , this is a very normal problem for the pregnant woman, and I am sure that god blessed you a healthy baby. So enjoy your pregnancy. :thumbsup

9. kalaprabha

kalaprabha Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies
    Iam 31 weeks pregnant and diagnosed with GD when i was 29 weeks.Iam controlling my GD with diet.My question is after knowing i have GD my doctor sent me to diabetes center for counseling, but she says i need to visit the center once in two weeks with my diet chart and my glucometer the appointment goes for 1hr.I feel they unecessary drag the appointment :(
    one more thing is my doctor says i need to go for weekly once scanning and from 33 weeks onwards weekly once non stress test for the baby,combined with weekly doctor visit since because i have GD.I feel its too many tests that itself is making me stressed my baby is moving a lot that itself is self assuring to me and iam very well my sugars in control.

Does your doctor also do test the same way? i feel like i want to tell her that i dont need these many tests. :spin
    I have my DD who is 19 months old i had a perfectly healthy pregnancy with her i just had 2 ultrasound one in 8th week other one in 20th week.From 38th week weekly visit.

10. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

My doc suggested total 3 visit to the diabetic center. One with the dietician. Second one with a nurse to learn how to check the sugar levels. Third one after 2 weeks with the dietician,to review the diet plan, they have given, and to discuss any difficulties etc..
    Yeah, there is a drag, since it will take time to get apptmt with dietician and nurse..but all my apptmt were really helpful especially the first two..

If you have GD, there wil be growth scans in the third trimester to measure how the baby is growing. As you know, uncontrolled GD will cause babies to put Lot of weight. Also,when you are on diet, it's important to know, if the baby is getting enough nutrients and growing as normal. For GD monitoring, different dr are following different methods..
    My doc is prescribing me scans between every 3-4 weeks. She said that 3-4 weeks gap is the best to determine the growth..And I am having regular biweekly visits to the dr from 30 weeks onwards. I think it will become weekly from 36 weeks. Did you ask ur doctor, why NST is necessary? Most of the drs will prescribe NST weekly or biweekly i guess.As I said earlier, different dr's have different protocol to monitor GD. Truost your doctor..

Baby movements are self assuring about the well being of the baby. But please follow the dietician's and dr's suggestions for the well being of the baby..

every pregnancy is different..I think you didnt have GD with ur first pregnancy. That makes it different..

After all GD sucks..:rant