Food Menu During Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by vinitha, Apr 21, 2005.

1. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

thanks nebpharm.Iam not sure of my gestational age.It should be somewhere close to 6 to 7 weeks.Thanks for your tips.

I dont like to drink water too:bonk

2. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear all,
    i live in abu dhabi (UAE).
    pls tell me whether i can drink cold milk (pasturised) directly purchased from the supermarket? (i mean, direct drinking milk without heating it)
    and also my second query is that whether i can add little bit of any readymade juice (say mango juice)to it and drink it?
    it will give me a nice flavour and taste and i can drink it happily.
    i like to drink cold milk and also with some flavours.
    is adding a little bit of ready made juice to a directly brought (pacturised)milk will cause any harm during the early stages of pregnancy?

pls reply.

3. Vrindavipul

Vrindavipul Bronze IL'ite

Hi baby1

Congrats dear..........................but sorry I can't help u in this context. I am happy for u.

4. adimom

adimom Senior IL'ite

Hi Baby1

If you have been drinking cold milk till now, just continue that. I also like cornflakes with cold milk. when I was pregnant i use to take cornflakes with cold pasturised milk directly (without heating). I never had any problems.
    Just continue to eat normally (whatever you use to have before). Just be careful with sweets if any of your parents have diabetes.

5. soonmomtobe

soonmomtobe New IL'ite

Re: Take greens everyday

Hi,

Same here i am in my 8th month and my doc said that my HB is low. :(

I ve included lots of carrots, beetroot and green leafy vegies in my diet.. also fruits like strawberry, apple help a lot..

All the best to you !

6. nupur12

nupur12 New IL'ite

An anemia diet usually consists of an iron-rich diet along with iron supplements. Absorption of iron from food is influenced by multiple factors. One important factor being the form of the iron. Heme Iron, found in animal sources, is highly available for absorption. Non-heme iron on the other hand, found in vegetable sources, is less available.
    Pregnant women should not eat liver because of its very high Vitamin A content. Large amounts of Vitamin A can be harmful to the baby. The absorption of Non-heme iron can be improved when a source of heme iron is consumed in the same meal. In addition, the iron absorption- enhancing foods can also increase the absorption of non-heme iron. While some food items can enhance iron absorption, some can inhibit or interfere iron absorption. Avoid eating them with the iron-rich food items to maximize iron absorption.

7. nupur12

nupur12 New IL'ite

In human bodies, iron is what helps transport of oxygen. High iron content in the body results in cell growth and differentiation. Hemoglobin stores maximum amount of iron in our body. Then comes the hemoglobin and lastly the enzymes. Hemoglobin are types of proteins. They are all the division of iron in our body, which use iron regularly for transporting oxygen to other parts of the body. Proteins, also store iron as a contingency reserve. All the iron content is determined by the 'intestinal iron absorption'.

Iron deficiency is the mostly commonly found nutritional deficiency. It often leads to anemia, and is seen in pre-menopausal stage amongst women. The other causes of iron deficiency are excessive menstrual bleeding, non menstrual bleeding, gastrointestinal tract bleeding, respiratory tract bleeding, adequate intake and absorption. The first symptom of iron deficiency is tiredness. The rest are fatigue, pallor, hair loss, irritability, weakness and pica.

8. Rosette

Rosette New IL'ite

:rotfl This post just made me laugh like mad. I am also craving spicy food a lot :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  9. nupur12

nupur12 New IL'ite

If your iron level is low, your dietitian may advice you to take iron rich foods in addition to iron/multivitamin pills. There are two types of iron in foods - heme and non-heme iron. Although iron is found in a variety of foods and supplements, its availability to the body varies significantly depending on the type of iron present in the food.
    Heme iron is found largely in meat, fish and poultry. These nutrients are easily absorbed by the body compared to non-heme iron. Heme iron is also found in other animal products such as chicken and fish. Non-heme iron is found primarily in fruits, vegetables, dried beans, nuts and grain products. You can improve the absorption of non-heme iron by consuming it along with a heme-rich iron food. Avoid foods that interfere with the iron absorption by the body. A breakfast of cereals or whole meal breads with a glass of orange juice provides rich non-heme iron in the cereals that is aided by the Vitamin C in the juice for better absorption. A combination of red meat and vegetables for lunch or dinner is a good source of iron rich food. Lean red meat offers an excellent source of iron whereas vegetables offer non-heme iron. Tomatoes, capsicum, broccolli or lean beef can aid in better absorption of this iron.

10. srisha2k

srisha2k New IL'ite

Hi,
    Please clarify me whether it is good to take kiwi fruit during first trimester. i had not ate it before.