1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Coconuts

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by rajalakshmigopal, Dec 17, 2010.

1. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

We have got coconuts(full coconuts,not scrapes) from Valli produce.It tastes bad if used in dishes.Iam not sure whether I have picked the good one.

Where do you people normally buy coconuts?Do you use the frozen coconut scrapes?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

2. Change101

Change101 New IL'ite

I generally buy it from the American produce store. You will know if its good or not when your break it. If its not white in color but a little cream or off white and slimy on the inside then its not good.

3. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

Hi RG...

You can either buy from Indian stores or regular Grocers.
    In Indian stores you can ask them to break open..(Most of them do)...

Regular Grocers will let you return,if they are bad ,even after you break open(smell bad,color not white).

Even before cracking open, you can look for bad smell near the eyes of the coconut.One more check my Mom taught....try knocking the coconut with knuckles..It should make a good (How can I explain good:)..like noise with the door knocking ) noise...Also if you shake..if you hear lots of water inside...most of them will be good...

Look for smell,noise,water...combination of the three won't fail...Slightly spoilt coconuts are widely used to make Coconut rice in Tamilnadu...It is a popular dish....

You can always buy coconut milk from Chinese place.

4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

this is what we use

5. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

RG we usually buy coconut scrap(frozen) from Indian store..sometimes full coconut from valley produce..i feel full coconut tasts better than frozen..

6. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

Reverie has pretty much covered the "Art of selecting good coconuts". I also use the three tests mentioned while selecting coconuts. I generally buy them in Indian stores but break them at home so we can enjoy the coconut water :)

7. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot for all the inputs:thumbsup

reverie,

I just checked the "good" sound thingy alone and bought it and it cheated me twice:drowning

I will also look out for the frozen scrapes in indian stores.I have seen this in costco too.Must be some american version of coconut scrapes:biglaugh

8. RagaPrasanna

RagaPrasanna Platinum IL'ite

Hi RG,

Look out for Deep shredded coconut in the frozen section in Indian stores. Thats what I use and have no complaints.

I too have had bad experiences with the full coconuts so stopped buying it. But its true that fresh is always the best! :)

9. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Initially we used to buy frozen(shredded) coconut, but I didnt like the taste later we switched to full coconut. We used to buy from American shop/Indian shop, I like the full cocnut;-)

10. divyarnair

divyarnair Silver IL'ite

Sometimes i too get bad coconuts.What i used to do is after bringing them home scrape them immediately and keep in freezer.Can then use in portions.Usually ones with lot of water and sound will be good.May be home temperature spoils them ? dont know exactly..