1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Zumba or aerobics or what - suggest me pl

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Chapra, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Need your suggestions please. I want to do some kind of workout to tone by body and to keep myself fit. I want to enjoy the workout and keep on doing it through out my life. I tried hot yoga and I didn't enjoy it. Especially, I didn't get the hang of breathing while doing asanas. Think, Yoga is not my piece. Started doing JM 30 day shred. I liked it but with two babies at home, not able to do it in one stretch. Don't know what to do but would like to do some thing.

Am one leg less for dancing :) So, will Zumba fit my style??? To start with, will elliptical trainer suffice if I join gym. I don't like tread mill.... Also, I have Ankylosing spondylitis. Not troubling me much but I cannot do strenuous exercises. What else will you suggest me.... Please pour in your suggestions.

Chapra

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.

2. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Vaishnavika. Will definitely try it.

3. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Hi chapra,

I hope to get some answers for your queries :)

I have been exercising now regularly almost 5-6 days a week since 6years. I lost about 23 lbs after my second child and have tried all kinds of workouts !

I would like to tell you one simple point about both the forms you mentioned- zumba and aerobics. Actually zumba is also a kind of aerobic activity. Aerobics is any kind of aerobic activity which increases your heartbeat (cardio). So both are equally good but zumba is more dance based and fun.

You can try both and see which one you like. I would say not to join ymca until u tried both the options. See if your local community center has drop-in options where you can pay per class and later get registered to pay per quarter if you like it. On a drop in basis first I tried many classes ( $5 per class) and then joined a gym. Check if there are any bollywood dance classes ( I love it !) also.

You need not be a perfect dancer to go for a dance based workout class. You just need to enjoy the music and feel good about it. You can modify your workout based on your capacity like if the instructor is jumping on a beat, you can just walk or jog.

Try and come back to share your experiences or pm me if you have more questions. I will be glad to help.

6 people like this.
  4. sriraj

sriraj New IL'ite

Hi,

Zumba also kind of aerobic exercise. Since you mentioned you have spondylitis,and cannot do such exercises, I suggest you to try one or two classes for zumba and then decide.
    I also have back and neck problems and couldn't do running or such strenuous exercises,I only do walk and yoga and strengthening exercises altering each day..one day yoga and next exercise,but walking everyday..and I lost more than 15 pounds from last 2 years after my second kid born with these. Some times I tempt to go for aerobics ,but I learned lesson hard way,so I sticked to my regular routine.
    Try each of them and then decide.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Pman, you and Shiva choubey motivate me everyday! I needn't reduce weight but I want to tone my figure. I got this interest after reading your threads in IL! And today, am getting a reply from you!!! Am on cloud 9! Thanks so much for taking time to reply to my thread!!!

Sure, will try out what you suggested - trying out classes and sticking to what suits me...
    BTW, have you reached your goal - 6 packs???

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Sriraj. That was a superb suggestion. Yes, we need to stick to what suit us the best! Will try and find out what suits me......

7. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

I agree with sriraj. You should combine zumba maybe once a week with yoga, mild walking, mild jog etc and get some variation according to your body needs. What suits one person may not suit the other, so better start with a mild version.

I have seen people doing 30mins zumba and leave the class. They just enjoy the warm up and get started and then leave to finish off with a mild walk outside.

Chapra, nice to hear that good words from you.Infact you made me go on cloud 9 ! For toning you should do weights training. This will improve your muscle tone and help you develop a lean figure. I do weights twice a week. 6 packs is a distant dream which will never come true . We women do not have the harmones to get that packs. Some women who have such abs go very high on protein diet to achieve that. I notice that if I cut down on rice , tummy looks ok (not flat though). I do many variations in my diet all the time. I try to consume oats, quinoa, cracked wheat or rotis mostly for my lunch with cucumber raita everyday (cooling agent).

Staying in good shape with active and healthy lifestyle is my aim. I workout one hour everyday no matter what. I try different classes so that I dont get bored.

6 people like this.
  8. Chapra

Chapra Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, Pman. More than anything we need conviction and determination to follow a regime. You have been doing some thing for more than 6 years and that speaks of you! Need to learn from you all... Am not consistent with my work out or diet yet. Slowly, picking up the pace. Hopefully, should reach that level one day!

If you don't mind, one question. Which gym (classes) you go - YMCA or LA fitness or which one? Kindly let me know. Its just my curiosity to know; no big reason :)