1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Zumba class

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Rums, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone give me details for a zumba class?. Is it good for beginners?. feeling very conscious about joining. Should I wear specific dress to the class?. Any details relating to the class is appreciated. Thanks

Cheers
    Ramya

2. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

Dear ramya,

Zumba is a very good form of cardio workout and easily a person can burn 300-500 calories in one hour session. Wear comfortable clothing - a t-shirt and sports track pant will do. This is intense form of dancing with fast upbeat music and hence you have to dance in rhythm with the instructor to get good results.

If possible go to class early and stand in the first 2 rows so that you get the steps right. I have seen many shy women standing back and doing wrong steps and ending up with pain.

Drink water before you go to class. Keep yourself hydrated. You have to try once to know what it is about. There is no harm in trying once. Shed your inhibitions, shyness etc and go for it !! Health is very important and any form of exercise is good to our body.

After trying a couple of classes, you can plan it in your routine.

Good luck,

3. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thanks Pman16. Will def try it out!!...

4. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Dear Ramya,

You may have made up your mind already. Just couldn't stop myself from writing here. I am a hardcore zumba fan. I like to dance and obviously zumba became my favorite workout.

Take it slow as with any other workout. Dont overdo it. Start off with your own pace. There is lot of pounding and jumping moves and you can easily hurt yourself. I did. I suffered from a muscle injury because I overdid it. Trust me. you dont want that. Use moderation and enjoy the music!

As the official zumba line goes- Ditch the workout and join the party!

Enjoy!
    Aswini

5. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Dear Aswini,

Thanks. Did you go to any class?. I find the steps little tough and fast. Is there anything we can practice at home to learn the steps?. I love it but the steps are very fast..

Thanks
    Rums

6. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Yes. I go to Zumba classes 4 -5 times a week. The steps are little fast but once you are familiar with it you will have no problem. I was just like you when I started. But don't give up. Don't worry if you are unable to follow them. You will get the hang of it if you go for more classes. And most of the steps are repetitive. Just be patient and enjoy!

I used to feel stupid standing there not knowing what to do. But I just went for classes regularly and now I am very comfortable.

The steps are usually instructor dependent but you can see basic salsa steps and other styles on youtube. My instructor says if you get lost somewhere just smile and keep moving.Thats what I follow.

Good luck

7. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thanks Aswini. That was really useful :))...

8. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

The fast steps are meant to increase your heartbeat.As said earlier, this is a cardio workout. Try to stand in the first 2 rows to get the steps right. Nothing wrong if you cannot do it perfectly. Just stand there and keep moving. Gradually you will love it.

9. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thanks Pman :))

10. anees

anees Silver IL'ite

Hi Rums,
    I went for my 1st Zumba class last week and it was great. Whenever I didnt do some steps correctly the instructor came near me and corrected them. I love that instructor. So as pman suggested, try to stay near the instructor she will notice if you do any mistake and correct it. I really enjoyed it. They used some bollywood music for warm up.

Anees.