zero knowledge about money and investment..will i be able to survive

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by crap, Jan 13, 2016.

1. crap

crap New IL'ite

hi all
    ive been married for 5 years now after completing degree soon got married so i had n chance to even own a bank account. no salary anything. everythng was taken care of DH so i dint bother to learn about money savings investment anything.
    Now i tremble to think of fact that i too have huge responsibitlty to know about all this and i certainly dont knwo where to start learning
    so many things are there i dont even know how to operate a bank account.
    i dont know where to start. you would be shocked to know that i dont even know the basic things regarding money markets,shares etc.
    please help me atleast where to u all this.
    im in states. but wil be moving to india in future.

2. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

Don't panic. The fact that you are aware of what you do not know and acknowledge that you need to know it is a good starting point (as opposed to an attitude that I know everything or I am not interested in learning).

Since your husband is managing all your financial affairs, start with him. Tell him that you are interested to learn and slowly manage your own tasks independently. If he is an educated mature adult, he will understand and not take it the wrong way or try to deprive you of knowledge or feel insecure himself as if your independence is a threat to him in some way.

If you feel or find that he is not understanding or does not explain things to you properly, go to the source - the bank and ask them questions. Dont worry if you sound stupid or ignorant. You are not going to see or live with the bank folks daily, so why bother. Your interest is in obtaining information. Just go for it and ask questions. That is how you learn.

There will be free financial webinars, conferences, youtube videos etc for dummies - take advantage of these. Don't feel all hurried and rushed and insecure all at once - it will affect your learning. Take things slow and at their own pace. Keep a goal - say in the next 3 months or 6 months or 1 year you want to learn this and this and this - maybe start with learning to manage your own bank account, checking, savings, what interest you get, how you pay taxes on these account, managing your own credit card statements, debit card, balancing your check book etc. Next you can learn about pension plans and life insurances. Progress slowly rather than cramming up too much information all at once and spinning into a bigger panic mode. You will get there if not today, at least tomorrow or the day after.

3. crap

crap New IL'ite

thanks a lot for such an encouraging detailed reply aamrapali...the name si so different :)
    the thing is he always asks me to learn about it and will takl endlessly detailed if i ask him a doubt. but i was always absentminded whenever he asked me...now when i want to learn he is very busy.
    i dont even have patience to read financial news and anythings related to business economics etc.
    other news and story books il read endlessly.but having kid thats also not possible now.and becoming very tires with household chore. i started to feel afraid and low that il be destined inside kitchen and become a novice introvert without any knowledge in future.
    as you said i will start slowly.but i dont hav a separate account. i hav a joined one.i dont even help my parents after marriage.i dont know how to express how i feel low without earning but before earning want to know more about the outside world market etc.
    are you ladies really managing kids,household works,reading news,managing finance everything????? im really curious and wondering how?
    i cant even wake up early in morning :( without alarm if i keep alarm DH wil wake up.so ending getting up late