1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Zen and the art of filtering junk!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Surya
    Welcome to my Senile Ramblings!
    Thanks a lot for the nice things you have said about this post and all the glorious FBs. Most of what I write here is based on my own experience. You know there are three kinds of people viz
    People who learn from others' experience
    People who learn from their own experience
    People who never learn
    The first is the best. The second is OK but the third is a pitiable category to which I belong! But I share my experience with all of you hoping that you will learn something from it as the first category!
    Sri

2. LuckiestLadkhi

LuckiestLadkhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sir,

When i read your story, I remembered my tamil class teacher telling me the Zen Monk story when i was 10 or 11 yrs old. When i recall back he told us that we should be half glass full to receive anyhing taught to us daily.

If we go as a full class v cant receive anything coz we will be overcome by our ego. If v go as a empty glass we wont be able to capture as we dont have the basic. So,vhave to go asa half glass to observe the teaching and to analys. There are many things we can overcome in this world if we just change a bit of our thinking.

Luv,
    Suzanne

3. Cheeniya

Dear Suzanne
    That's a very good example. The beauty about Zen stories that they have so much to convey in just a few lines. Their stories are not long and yet they make you think. Zen stories stimulate contemplation. Each one can derive his own lessons from these stories.
    Sri

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya,
    I really feel sorry for my late entry to such a thought provoking and wonderful post !! In a brilliant way ( of course you do it often ) you have connected the computer with our mind pointing out the Zen story . Only Cheeniya can do it :bowdown!
    Junk emotions, such as anxiety, jealousy, anger, obsession, short-temperedness, greed, hatred, and so on. These emotions are neither good for us nor are they good for other people with whom we come into contact. These emotions need to be inventoried just like the material goods we have in our closet. It's much harder, of course, to throw these emotions out with the trash, because we've inherited them or indeed have cultivated them over our lifetimes. That's why we need to run an inventory of these emotions as often as we can; to make sure we're in control of them and don't allow them to hold sway over our behavior.

If we place our thoughts and emotions in right relation to our actions then we'll more easily fall into healthy and productive habits and become wise users of technology and material goods, rather than be their victims.Here is another Zen story which I feel is somewhat related to this post( kindly excuse me if it is not )" There was a scholar, who was full of knowledge about Buddhism and philosophy and who came to study with a Zen master. As was customary, the Zen master offered the scholar a cup of tea. The scholar was delighted and accepted. The Zen master said nothing and began to pour the tea. However, when the tea reached the rim of the cup the Zen master did not stop pouring. He pointed to the cup of tea in silence but continued to pour the tea into it. "What are you doing?" said the scholar, baffled. The Zen master looked at the scholar. "Scholar," he said. "Take up your cup of tea. How can I pour anything more into it unless you empty it?" The scholar knew everything there was to know about his religion. In fact, he was so full of knowledge that there was no room for anything else. The Zen master was teaching him, in a very direct way, that he had to empty his mind of all that knowledge in order for him to be able to get the knowledge he really needed, which was to gain enlightenment. We should stop filling our mind with trivia and junk emotions that block our path to true knowledge and happiness. We all need to empty our cups.I am sorry for my lllloooooonnnngggggg feed back.
    with love
    pad

<hr>

5. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Thanks for a thought provoking write up. As said our mind is a super computer and nobody can access it so easily. For a mortal computer an immortal human being has to do the clean up job. Similarly a man always finds or runs to the nature to get solutions to all his problems.Hence he is forced to water those herbs that will help him and must be able to destroy the other things that are weeds. If he is able to control all the weed in his life he will be a true human being. The sishyas were not able to control the inner feelings and hence stagnated while the monk was able to go further.:bowdown
    nityakalyani

Thanks for the write up.

6. Cheeniya

Dear Paddy
    What a pleasant surprise! Even Raja Raja Chozhan would not have taken so much time to shift his palace from Station A to Station B (This is to cover up my ignorance of history) as you have taken to shift your house four streets away! I was waiting and waiting and was about to give up any chance of getting any more FBs from you. Nice to see that nothing has changed. Your font size, colour and more importantly the content of your FB are all the same classy stuff as before. Like Robert Browning, I would like to sum up the pleasure of sighting you again in the following immortal words ‘God is in His heaven and all is right with the world’!

The authority with which you speak of the inventory of our emotions et al indicates that you are as sharp as ever and the title of ‘Dr.Padmini’ sits nicely on your shoulders! The tea pouring Zen Master is yet another example of how effective the Zen teaching can be particularly when no words are uttered. I am impressed with this story. This brings me to another point. The way your mind absorbs everything that is poured into it, it must be a proverbial bottomless pit!
    Sri

7. Cheeniya

Dear Nityakalyani
    I am happy that you find my rambling useful! I have several Zen stories like this one that impart great lessons. Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa's parables are also equally effective. The best part is that we do not have to sit and study Vedas and Upanishads as these parables are the quintessence of all the scriptures given to us in such simple delightful stories. I find that some of these stories come back to us from abroad as power point presentations with excellent graphics!

"If he is able to control all the weed in his life he will be a true human being." That is an excellent summing up of my whole story, Nitya!
    Sri

8. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Hello Cheeniya Sir,

Your reply to earlier thread made me feel so wanted and so here I am (I'm not leaving this place till you are bored of my FBs :)

Your threads are evergreen Sir. Makes an interesting reading anytime. Can even read the same thing again and come back with different thoughts. It's absolutely wonderful really.
    See how I could carry your Crossword thread in my thoughts for nearly 14 days.

now, for this thread on filtering junk - if only you could tell me how to keep things in memory for long, longer & longest time . How about
    increasing the space of good memory so the junk is reduced to dust & (hopefully) vanishes completely.

Nature does play a wonderful role in diminishing our memory or we wouldn't indulge in love again and again and again. we do tend to forget the physical reactions so soon that we look fwd to renew our memories often. We tend to forget those everlasting embraces, empowering love, exulting feelings, conscious trembles, inner flutters...

Increasing or maximising the feel good factor in life shld expand the horizon of love without any strife and all we need is Memory.

BTW, what junk are you guys talkin about??? :biggrin2::biggrin2:

(wish CV reads my reply :))

9. Cheeniya

Dear Meena
    First things first. I called on CV a couple of days back and she looked almost normal. She worried me a lot in the last fortnight with a palpable sign of depression but this time, she proved to be the hard nut that she always is! I am happy for her.

Thank you for calling my threads evergreen though I was a bit sad that you did not add 'like you'! Trees are a great message from God that all living things need to be evergreen till the end. If anyone or anything finds it difficult to be evergreen, he forfeits the right to live!

You talk of carrying my 'Crosswords' for 14 days. In my reply to OJ today, I have said that I carried it much longer in my mind in order to prove myself a match to my matchless son in law.

But filtering junk is altogether a different issue. It is the core capability of an active mind. But filtering junk can be a tricky issue like administering chemotherapy for malignant tumour which destroys the healthy cells along with the malignant ones. The junk memory may contain the pleasurable ones of love and romance. Or so I thought until I read your FB. I did not realise that forgetting old memories of love had a beneficial effect too. This is really a great thought. Our immense capacity for love goes on and on undiminished only because of our fading memory. This is a smashingly new concept which I'll start advocating from now!
    Sri

10. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Thanks sir for telling us how to filter junk