1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Zen and the art of filtering junk!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jun 6, 2007.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri:

I couldn't agree with you more on this. For most of my life, I have behaved like the students you described. More recently though, far too late in life perhaps, I discovered the technique of disposing of useless stuff from my mind.

For example, I have learnt the art of not finding satisfaction in humiliating a person, even if the person in question had given me pain in the past. As is often the case, persons who find success early on in life, treat their neighbours with contempt, even when the neighbour in question has been nothing but polite towards the successful man. I have observed that things get balanced off in God's world. Sooner or later, a day arrives when the two persons find their roles reversed. The normal propensity for the wronged one on these occasions is to take it out on the once pompous but now pathetic person.

I think I have been able to forget the humiliations I endured and retain instead only my ability to be human, irrespective of the person I am faced with. It has brought me great peace of mind and, I suppose, a degree of happiness too.

The woods do look ever lovelier, darker and deeper as a consequence. Also, instead of making my mind burst at the seams, I appear to be creating ever increasing quantities of space in my not so capable mind to enjoy and laugh when confronted with innocent pleasures.

Unlike you, I am not a wise person. Somehow though, this piece of wisdom had visited me with supreme clarity in the relatively recent past. Perhaps Cheeniya himself was the Zen monk for me!!

With love and regards.

oj

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear OJ
    I must first thank you for keeping me in circulation by reviving a few older threads of mine! I have not indeed written anything new in the last two months for some reason or other, the drying up of my thought process being one of them! I am kept alive here by friends like you and others who keep visiting my earlier threads and furnishing FBs. I am grateful to all of you.

This particular Zen story is my great favourite and I have used it more than any other fable to support my social speeches in Rotary and such drab associations of humans! In fact, I myself used to suffer from this habit of nursing useless thoughts in my already clustered mind. This affected my career a lot and I once attended a lecture of Jiddu Krishnamurthy of whom I was a great admirer. But ironically, I did not learn this lesson from him but from a member of the audience who discussed this with me over a drink in the Club. This was one rare instance in my life when a club became my Bodhi Tree!

I firmly believe that Nemesis is God’s job. We have to just get going unmindful of who does what to us. Why punish ourselves by letting our minds get cluttered with thoughts of worthless people all the time? It can make matters only worse for us and thereby we reward our ill-wishers! Zen stories teach us some simple but great truths of life. Another one of my favorites is this:

A Zen teacher saw five of his students returning from the market, riding their bicycles. When they arrived at the monastery and had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?"
    The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying the sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the first student, "You are a smart boy! When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over like I do."
    The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path!" The teacher commended the second student, "Your eyes are open, and you see the world."
    The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."
    The fourth student replied, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all sentient beings." The teacher was pleased, and said to the fourth student, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."
    The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher sat at the feet of the fifth student and said, "I am your student!"

Sri

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

A good thought provoking post as always. Read all the fbs and your replies too. There is always something to learn from your ramblings and your replies are also too good.

Everyday when I log in to snippets I first see whether there is any new post from you. But I get disappointed.

I usually dont keep anything to myself , whether it is good or bad and share it with everyone. Now I share it here with friends whether I get fb or not. So my mind is clear. When someone hurts me I feel very bad but try to forget. When I feel that someone close is not the same as always I immediately go and ask them and clear myself.
    Its better to forgive and forget but sometimes it is very difficult.

With regards
    viji

4. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

Dear Sri,

Must really give it to you!

How grateful I am to the Almighty that I don't remember all of that has happened in my life!
    How grateful I am that I don't remember what/who I was or what things (evil) I did in my previous births! (ie. if you believe in rebirth).

I only feel bad when my mind remembers some sad or bad events which I would prefer to forget.
    I only feel bad when some lovely happy memories are completely erased from my mind (temporary/situational amnesia?).

But, yes, in a way, we are forced to remember some things to learn valuable lessons from them.
    Also, we do have the ability to do away with the trash in our minds that only tend to make life like a dustbin.
    That reminds me, my yahoo mailbox is overflowing with a lot of trash. I need to get rid of it too!

A good one!

Nice Day.
    Shail

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    What do you find more difficult, to forgive or to forget? If it is to forget, do not worry about it. As we advance in our years, forgetting will become easier and easier. I know a lot of my peers who keep forgetting why they phoned me. If I don't provide a clue to why they may have phoned me, they get very upset and brand me as non-cooperative!

But if your difficulty is in forgiving, please always remember that the best choice available to us is to forgive if some wrong is done to us. In any case, the other chap would least bother if you forgive him or not but by forgiving, we feel better and there will be no need for popping an extra BP tablet into our waiting mouth. If someone makes fun of your forgiving nature, you can always say things like 'To err is human but to forgive is divine'! They may hear it as bovine instead of divine but who cares.
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Shail
    But, yes, in a way, we are forced to remember some things to learn valuable lessons from them.

Well said my girl! You remind me of George Santayana's oft-repeated quote that 'Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it'! This is extremely true. If we do not remember our actions of the past that might have landed us in great difficulty, it is possible that we might repeat them and face graver consequences. Keep these thoughts in the archives of our mind so that when we are about to commit the same mistake, a warning bell would be rung. But remember to keep only the incidents in memory but not the people who were connected with it.

Sri

7. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheenya...
    I must thank all your friends for reviving your older threads so that lazy but... interested admirers like me can have a read!!!
    I've heard different version of this Zen story but somehow am not able to recall it well enough to pen it down...
    Yes.. we do carry a lot of garbage with us over the years alot which could've been off loaded immediately but somehow we feel that if let go then the other person will be scot free..
    Slowly I'm learning to "let-go" of trivial nonsense irritations which people throw in your path as baits and I like a fool used to pick them up and then fret for a lifetime over them...
    As you've correctly mentioned its definately easier to forget than forgive....
    K

8. Cheeniya

Dear Kelly
    When I was young, we used to carry a lot of junk in our houses in the name of sentiment. Table fan that grandpa always used but not in working condition, the pictures of gods that generations used, boxes, cupboards, useless furniture et al. As floor space became increasingly expensive and we were forced to move into smaller portions, we had no option but to jettison the junk one by one. As every item was given to someone who had some use for them, my mother would be moved to tears.

Today sentiment plays no role at all in decision making. Our minds are too obsessed with affordability and rightly so. Who would pay an extra rent of a thousand rupees just to accommodate some useless junk merely because his grandpa used it?

The same thing goes for the mental junk as well. The kind of demands that are made on our mental resources, it makes no sense to clutter it with useless junk. Even if forgiving and forgetting are not our cup of tea, we still do it reluctantly due to circumstances beyond our control!
    Sri

9. suria

suria Silver IL'ite

dear cheeniya,
    this is the first post i am reading of yours,it was like somebody sitting beside and telling me in such a way i will definitely follow it:thumbsup
    i will do follow it, thank you so much!!

i really thing at times can i do it/ am i capable of doing it??

so may this filtering the junk help me out!!

thanks for the thought again and also those who discussed below thanku!

10. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheenya....
    For the below words I simply :bowdown to you.....you at times show the path which we need to take in life most practically and with utmost sincerity...

The same thing goes for the mental junk as well. The kind of demands that are made on our mental resources, it makes no sense to clutter it with useless junk. Even if forgiving and forgetting are not our cup of tea, we still do it reluctantly due to circumstances beyond our control!

K