1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Yummy Oats

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by swati_gan, Sep 18, 2009.

1. swati_gan

swati_gan Senior IL'ite

Ladies,

I have been struggling to like oats for so many years now but in vain. I read someone on IL mention (dont remeber which thread that was?) that oats can be had with buttermilk and seasoning. I had seaoned curd ric, insstead of rice i used oats and it was AWSOME! even better than rice actually. I also mixed sambhar with oats for lunch and it was GREAT!

Good substitution for south indians who just cannot give up our staple food.

Thanks for this tip. Sorry dont remember the name though!

2. kalavati

kalavati New IL'ite

Hi Swati,

Nice way to use oats in our diet. Thanks to you now for sharing this. It is a good choice as we can avoid having it sweet which is the usual way to have oats in North America. As oats is good for lowering cholesterol, high B.P. and diabetics, we Indians should find ways to include it in our diet. However, do let me know which type of oats do you suggest for this yummy oats.

3. umarao02

umarao02 Senior IL'ite

Hi Swati,
    i also like oats....my mother makes different types....the most tasty one is ....the pudina oats....
    I'll tell you how to make it...very simple...

First...in a pan,put a little oil and add mustard seeds and hing..fry for a min till it crackles...then add green chillies and grated ginger .Fry this for a minute and then add the pudina which has been washed and cut finely.Fry this too for a min till it wilts and then add water and once it boils..add the oats and once it is cooked add salt and remove from fire.to this hot porridge oats add a tablespoon of curd and mix well and eat hot...with crispy toasted bread.
    you can vary the amount of chillies and ginger ....and whether you want it thick or thin type of porridge..etc.
    ofcourse you can also mix it with any type of chutneys or sambar/rasam/kootu also...tastes good...
    try this and let me know how it was for you...
    cheers,
    Uma

4. swati_gan

swati_gan Senior IL'ite

Hi Kalavati,

I used the 1minute quaker oats. I do not like the flavoured ones.

Umarao: Can you tell me the proportion of pudina and oats?

Thanks!

5. MiaSen

MiaSen Senior IL'ite

Hey all,
    Have a doubt - how long do u soak the oats in sambhar or chutnies?
    It seems to be bit raw to eat immediately :(

Thanks

6. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

If you are looking for oats recipes, I suggest looking at chitVish's oats recipes.
    Personally, I have tried Oats Bisibelabath and Oats pongal and both were extremely good.
    I will be trying her Oats Bahalabath this weekend which I am sure will be amazing too.

I used to hate oats but not anymore. Thanks to Chitvish mam!

7. swati_gan

swati_gan Senior IL'ite

Hi Miasen,

You dont have to soaK it. You have to cook it like you normally cook oats and then mix sambhar or whatever you want with it.

8. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

I love my oats porridge. That is my breakfast everyday with milk/walnuts/sultanas/dates and sometime a lil bit of honey........It is tooooooooo gud :thumbsup

Although I find the other variation to oats mentioned here, very interesting. I wonder how it will be. I am surely going to check some of the oats variation from Chitvish.

Thanks guys!

9. seemaa

seemaa Senior IL'ite

please tell me how many brands of oats are availlable here in India.I only know of Quaker oats....

10. MiaSen

MiaSen Senior IL'ite

Thanks Swathi for the reply.
    Will definitely try it.
    Am sure it will give u a complete meal feeling vn u take it with regualr sambhar/chutney and rasam :)