Youtube Videos Without Showing Face?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by IL86, Oct 15, 2019.

1. IL86

IL86 Silver IL'ite

Hello all,

I am a SAHM having taken career break after my daughter's birth. Off late I am feeling very tempted to create YouTube videos just for fun showing my daily routine, cooking ,etc after coming across several such vlogs.

But problem is I don't want to reveal my face,I am not very comfortable at this point. So is it possible to vlog without showing face like blurring it? Will vlogs without showing face generate any kind of interest from viewers ? Do let me know your thoughts?

2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

No it will not. Proof is in the pudding. Do you feel comfortable watching someone without seeing their face in youtube?

If it makes you feel any better, no one starts as a confident person on day one. Its a step by step process becoming more confident and comfortable. Go ahead and take the plunge. To start with you can keep your videos private and keep recording and publishing. In no time, you will gain confidence.

IL86 likes this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Blurring, no. Better to just not have the face in the video. Though, it would be nice to have at least a picture in the profile. It could be one with sunglasses or hat, scarf etc. to make it less recognizable.

If the topic is like beauty tips, hair-styling, exercise, then, a video without a human face might not generate interest. The face can be that of a "client", but some visual human presence is needed. For other topics, such as cooking, I have seen many videos where the narrator is not visible. Sometimes, even the hand stirring the dish is not visible. I actually prefer cooking videos that have minimal chatter, absent cook and the focus on the recipe.

Your main question is will it generate interest from viewers. I think it will if the content is useful enough, appealing or creative.

I came across this video that lists a few ways to vlog without showing your face.

4. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I think you should absolutely do this. I am currently subscribing to a Asian cooking channel where the person does not show his/ her face and we see the food and the hands. He/She keeps the video short and sweet, has no audio , just music with captions . There is some humor thrown in the captions. The mystery of whether it’s a male or female also adds to the fun. The channel has over a million subscribers already . Good luck.

Anusha2917, IL86 and Rihana like this.
  5. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

The very famous Hebbar's kitchen (cooking video channel) doesn't show the face behind nor the voice is heard. Cooking happens with BGM.
    After a million subscribers ,Archana (an Indian settled in Australia) gave an interview. And all her subscribers including me were happy to know it's a female.

A friend (jaishree's kitchen ) shares how she manages to capture the cooking videos without her voice and face.

Use a good (DSLR) camera or an excellent quality mobile camera and use a tripod and keep it on the kitchen slab and direct it towards the item you are cooking.
    Once everything is captured a lot of effort goes in editing the video with an apt BGM.
    This works for cooking only.

Other home care videos require you to talk on the camera.

Start with cooking like I mentioned and slowly once you get comfortable with all this, make other videos.

The kid in the family (who is in school) recently started her teenage make up video series had me thinking "wow, kids these days" :yikes:

She says there are a lot of apps for editing such videos on phones . Explore such apps.

Amulet, IL86, SinghManisha and 3 others like this.
  6. IL86

IL86 Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for your suggestions, I think as most of you mentioned I will just make videos where the face is not captured at all, more like I am behind the camera or just showing hands in case of cooking. And I do intend to give background voiceover whenever required. I am not an expert cook just a regular cook so don't intend to create cooking channel but just showing what I cooked today like if I made paneer at home for some paneer dish along with other stuffs.
    My intention is to tap viewer interest of how NRI life is by showing home tour, trip to supermarkets, library and other stuff in my native language Kannada ( other two languages I know Hindi and English already have too many NRIs doing such videos :p ). Let's see how it goes. May be will start shooting random videos,editing and start uploading during December time. Wish me best of luck.

Anusha2917, Rihana and SinghManisha like this.
  7. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Best of Luck :)

Amulet and IL86 like this.
  8. VidyaSuresh

VidyaSuresh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    You can post without showing face as some of them dont show their face in their youtube cooking channels. Try to post innovative dishes or dishes which can be cooked with less time or preparing dishes without gas or electricity or giving some tips on cooking - If you post such recipies you will get more subscribers. If you post the recipies which we already know how to cook, there wont be much subscribers.

Try posting recipies in youtube and let us know your channel name for us to subscribe.

All the best

Anusha2917, SinghManisha and IL86 like this.
  9. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

As long as the video has quality visuals that grabs attention, not showing face is ok.

IL86 and SinghManisha like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

There is one more YouTube channel called Wildturmeric. She provides herbal home remedies and I like her voice it’s so soothing. Although she has never shown her face, she has lots of subscribers.
    I love her tiny utensils, they are very cute.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    IL86, Anusha2917 and SinghManisha like this.