1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yours eccentric truly

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Alarm bells rang furiously in mind. Is that guy after my money?. Not that I have much but he could be something is better than nothing. It all started when a friend of mine made a remark:”You are truly eccentric”.

Now what has my eccentricity got to do with unbalancing my bank balance? You see I have a theory about eccentricity. The difference between a nutcase and an eccentric is the bank balance. If the Ambani brothers or Azim Premji, run on the street tearing their clothes and pulling their hair they would still be considered eccentric If both mental and bank balances are upset then you are stark raving mad.

So when I was branded eccentric the sleeping paranoiac in me awakened and all sort of conspiracy theories about plans to deprive me of my material possessions flooeed my head (Paranoia doesn’t make me mad because it is just neurosis and not psychosis. Even with a paranoiac mind I will still remain an eccentric as long as the bank balance is okay.).

After sometime, the paranoiac decided to take a nap and was replaced by reflection. Am I really an eccentric? If yes, what are my eccentricities ? So after some brainstorming, I found a couple of quirks.

Quirk Number one: Burnt Toast. You may wonder what does a burnt slice of toast got to do with my being an eccentric. But if someone asks me “How would you like your toast?”, the answer is invariably “burnt”.

I just love burnt toast. The bitterness with the sweetness of jam is a marriage made in heaven. Even after being diagnosed as a diabetic and giving up on jam for ever so that I don’t get into a health jam, I am still madly in love with the burnt toast. I have realized that the love of a charred piece of bread is not due to the allurement of a sweet preserve. It is an undemanding love..

Threats and reasonings have failed to make me yield.. The wife bitterly complains that all that charcoal getting accumulated in the toaster have badly damaged it. “Get a new one i” is my answer.

“Dad do you know burnt toast can cause cancer? I read somewhere in some website” said the daughter.

“I can show you websites that say the earth is flat, there is no global warming and vampires exist” I said “ Would you believe them too?” The girl sadly shook her head and fell silent.

They say even smoking causes cancer and cigarettes pacets have a warning to that effect. But people still continue to smoke and only a fraction of them catch cancer as do lot of people who don’t smoke. May be they should have a statutory warning on toasters too saying burnt toasts can cause cancer. Let us see how many people who enjoy a burnt toast give up the habit. (Hello, is anybody else out there who loves to sink his/her teeth into charred bread or should I flatter myself that I am a unique phenomenon?).

As for my eccentricity No 2.........well. “With whom were you talking in the gym? There is nobody there. You have developed the habit of talking to yourself or what?”. asked the wife one day, ever eager to prove that I am nuts..

“What do you mean there’s nobody there? You got the multigym machine, the cycle, the weights. I was apologizing to the equipment for ignoring them for a couple of days” I said. My wife gave me a strange look and moved away..

Yes, if I don’t work out for a couple of days I feel guilty and deliver a short apology to the fitness equipment in my home gym.. It motivates me more to work out regularly if I treat the equipment as friends interested in my welfare and talk to them. It may sound crazy to you but do try it., you would not think of skipping the gym.. Talking to the equipment helps you keep physically fit, even if everyone doubts your mental fitness.

I also go ballistic if someone even touches my book shelves let alone take a book from them. For me books are my best friends and you cannot borrow a friend and anyone who tries it is my sworn enemy.

And what provoked my friend to call me eccentric? He just casually asked me which character from the books I read, I would like to invite for dinner. My answer was: “Hannibal Lecter”.

I told him I am a great fan of Thomas Harris’ cannibal psychiatrist. He first laughed but then I told him that I was serious and the good doctor Lecter was the kind of guy I would like to have for a friend. Then came the eccentric bit.
    Believe me I am really serious about this, so don’t laugh. I am a great Lecter fan. My daughter even says that I am alarmingly similar to him in several respects.

Come to think of it, she is right. Both me and Lecter are polyglots who speak several languages, both have a passion for classical music, including opera, both of us are foodies and love to cook, though we don’t share the same dietary habits. There is one simple reason for this. I an a verse to eating anything that walks, crawls or flies. But I don’t grudge Hannibal his favourite protein. After all what protein is more abundant on terra firma than the homo sapiens?.

4 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Ha! Balajee, we are all entitled to our own streaks of eccentrities, quirks or peculiarities, to ensure that we are identified as separate personalities in our own right - not mere clones of all the others around us.

As for burnt toast, well, I can't claim I am very averse to the idea myself. The browner the better, and black is tolerated better than untoasted bread!

You talk to your gym equipments, I do to my plants. I laugh loudly when reading anything, sometimes till I get a horrible coughing fit and the BH comes in panicking thinking he's soon going to inform relatives and friends of the sad event.

I have to dance a jig when I make my coffee in the morning and sing some children's songs to provide the music and rhythm. Th foam on my good old filter coffee has to have rings in 3 shades of brown and a smiley in white foam.

Who is my favourite character in books/movies? Dr. Doolittle.

3 people like this.
  3. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Balajee, i am also eccentric with a laundry list of stupid things i do.

I also like a slightly well done toast (not completely blackish brown), crispy well done pizza, burrito, etc.

I talk a lot to myself when I am taking a shower. Earlier DH was curious to know who i was talking to but now he has probably understood that I am eccentric.

I am clean freak. I was the dishes as it happens. Keep the kitchen clean. Keep the bed sheets and comforters crease less, Sweep the floor often. Get upset if it is not that way.

Sometimes i would be humming a part of the tune and would have forgotten the song and my mind would be working hard to recollect the song and would be calmer only after i recollected it.

i think we are all eccentric.

2 people like this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Many of us are eccentric or nuts in one way or the other.We behave as worse as a mentally deranged person.
    Normally we say that the window or table or the steps hit us though we pretty well know that windows, or doors cannot move and come near us and we only hit against them. But that is the normal accusation against those innocent objects.
    When we accuse them as though they are alive, there seems to be nothing wrong in seeking pardon also. Now this is a successful therapy suggested by neuro physicians and psychistrists.They say the patients get much relieved of distress and anxiety when they seek pardon and express regret even to the inanimate object.
    Chetanas and achetanas seem to have similar attributes.

Jayasala 42

5. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

Balajee sir as satyananda said every one are entitled with their own streaks of eccentricities .
    I start singing loudly when ever i feel like singing won't notice any one around me.
    I like to sing when i am on a rideon my scooty . Many people turn back and see me as nuts. But i can't stop singing.
    when ever i feel discomfort in my thoughts i start chanting Hanuman chalisa at any time and any place. I feel peace after it. so I don't want to discontinue it .

every one will have their own quirks . they make them differ from others rather than eccentrics.

6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satch8i when it comes to bread, black is beautiful. But white smiley on filter coffee? I don't like my filter coffee being tainted with white. It must be golden brown. Lot of people talk to plants. Is is quite a common eccentricity under the belief that it helps plants grow better. Brilliant logic if you chide the plants that don't give adequate flowers/fruits /vegetables, do they perform better?

1 person likes this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha hope your DH didn't hire a detective to find out with whom you were talking. Oh dear I am scared of cleanliness freaks. My wife is one. She insists that the bedsheets remain creaseless. I think that is illogical.True every one of is eccentric from some perspective or other..

2 people like this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Jayasala 42 everyone has a sane and mad person inside us . I suppose the eccentric is a cocktail of both. But the problem is at times we don't even know which person is sane and which one is mad.Imagine saying "sorry window/ doorbhai for colliding against you". As for Chetana and achetana objects, there are ancient Indian philosophies that don't even make a distinction between the two. The Jains for instance. For them every object, even the minutest of them has a soul. So I suppose there is no harm in apologising to a door or window.i

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

True everyone has his/her own quirks. But singing loudly in public or chanting hanuman chalisa. Hope you haven't caused any accidents because of that.

10. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

laugh1smileyaccident, until now no. so sir finally you found out that you are better and not strange than many others out here I think.