1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Your Visit to the Gynecologist: Make it Worthwhile

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by coolblues, Nov 5, 2012.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

d3024d58d5.jpg

Your visit to the gynecologist is due, and you want to share your concerns about your reproductive health. It is quite necessary that you make use of your appointment with your gynecologist to its fullest, which will help you in making good decisions. Most of us return home with many questions unanswered. Since it concerns your health, it is essential that you be prepared, before your visit to the gynecologist. It is the duty of your gynecologist to answer your question and concerns.

Here, are few tips to make your next OB/GYN appointment worthwhile:

• Do not be shy: It may be quite uncomfortable discussing concerns about your sexuality with another person. However, it can be tricky and complicated if you are not open in your communication with your doctor, especially if you have a concern or a problem that is bothering you.
    • Write Down Your Questions: You will have about twenty to thirty minutes of an appointment with your doctor. It is quite natural that you may fumble or forget to ask a question during this time, which you really wanted to check with your doctor. Prepare your set of questions on a sheet of paper and it is quite normal to carry a sheet of questions along with you to the appointment.
    • Research: You can relate to the answers that your doctor will share if you have a fair idea on the topic(s) that you wish to discuss. This will open up better discussion with your doctor.
    • Be Honest: It pays to be honest when you are sharing facts about your health to the doctor. Be clear on how, what and when you feel the symptoms. This is true especially if you are taking over the counter medicines. Share your lifestyle, family medical history, personal health history for your doctor to make the right decision.
    • Vital Questions: In case your doctor prescribes a treatment or medicine, make sure you ask the following pertinent questions –
      • How can the treatment help you?
      • What are the treatment options?
      • What tests are required and why?
      • Will there be any side effects with this treatment/medicine?
      • How long will the treatment last?

6. Schedule follow-up: Remember to schedule a follow-up in case your doctor asks you to visit again. Also, find out the ways and mode that you can reach the doctor in case of an emergency.

If you are dissatisfied with the answers or treatment that the doctor has prescribed, you must seek a second opinion with another reputed doctor who can validate your concerns.

2 people like this.

2. suganvijay

suganvijay Platinum IL'ite

Worthy Post :) Thanks.. I will have a lot of questions but often forget when i get in there.. this tip of writing down helps me.. :)

3. aksh23

aksh23 Silver IL'ite

4. Amrutha1

Amrutha1 New IL'ite

5. sarasri76

sarasri76 New IL'ite

writing down questions is really helpful

6. tara06

tara06 Silver IL'ite

thanks. its very useful.

7. neilyreddy

neilyreddy New IL'ite

Great post! Doctors need to understand that they may have delivered 1000's of babies, but for a mother, this is probably the only one, or one of two. So for us, every question is very important.

8. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

so true! This is exactly what i felt when my gynaec showed face when i asked basic questions of baby movement etc when i was pregnant. And I changed the doc.

Am not sure how it is in other countries, but India does need more of empathetic doctors.

1 person likes this.
  9. madhurabashini

madhurabashini Senior IL'ite

really a useful post...writing up questions is a good tips...

10. IndhuRamesh

IndhuRamesh Platinum IL'ite