1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by monita, Jul 29, 2011.

1. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

My Mil moved with us about 2 years ago. Initially, there were lot of problems. She wanted me to do everything her way and play my boss. She used to sit and order do this, do that. I ignored her comments and a couple of times answered back and gradually she also stopped commenting. I also adjusted to accommodate her. Her expectation is that she will not do any work. I do all the work. She wants me to serve her tea, breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't serve tea and breakfast but I serve lunch and dinner. I serve her tea if I am making for us, if she wants it at odd times, she makes it herself. I take help from my son and DH.

Recently, I overheard her complaining about me to her DD. Some of her complaints:
    - I only serve her lunch when I am at home but I don't serve her when I am away:bonk ( When I am going out, I make lunch before I go, she only has to reheat it)
    - I don't cook for my son, he has to cook for himself.( This is between me and my (grown up)son, I guess)
    - DH cooks sometimes on weekends.
    - I don't serve her tea, she has to make it herself. (She has made tea about 4-5 times in 2 years.)
    - I talk too much and can say anything. ( I am a very quiet person and hardly talk to her)

Now, I know she has nothing good to say about me. No matter what I do, she is going to complain. I also know, whenever I go out she calls all her relatives ( from the long phone bill that we get). I feel uncomfortable that she complains and lies behind my back. Is there any way to stop this. What are your thoughts?

2. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

Just 1 single thing Monita...You can do nothing to stop all this. WHat should matter to you is that your son and DH love you, give you all the respect and value you need to have...What impression is given to relatives should not stress you. I have read in many posts here that some ilites from their experience say that wives hould not even speak to their DH's against his mom...I personally do not agree to this , instead I would like to mould this and say that it should be shared with DH in PROPER way.... I have been sharing almost everything with him but in a way that should not sound as disrespect for his mom...My motive is always just that whenever an issue comes before him that usually does when I am off to somehwere or after months when some other point arises..then few are shot together...so that time, he knows what had eaxctly happened and who was really at fault. I have never expected him to speak for me in front of his parents....he keeps mum..at times I have in fact backanswered them...he keeps mum but then I know I have not lost any love or respect from his heart cos he already knew what happened :) I am happy with that :)

1 person likes this.
  3. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Totally agree with you, happy2be. I also do the same. I told my DH too at the same time I also told him that it is her nature and we cannot change it. But I feel bad that after doing everything, all you get to hear are bad things.

4. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Monita, sorry to hear about your situation. Same thing has happened to me before though I dont stay with ILs. If I were in your place I would try and develop thicker skin in case MIL has to stay with me long-term. You will in all probability outlive her and at that time you will have the satisfaction of having done your best with her. As PP said, focus on your relationship with DH and DS.

5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

thanks Anusha. I think I already have a thick skin. I just sometimes wonder do we as dils have any rights at all.

6. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Dear Monita,

U are exactly in my shoes, (of course MIL is no more now) they are made that way and will die one day with their inborn characteristics, so there is no way u can change them.

u said she complains behind your back, but my MIL will make sure that I hear her when she complains about me, she continuously bad mouthed about me to my SIL's that now I look like a villain to them. They refuse to believe what ever my DH explains to them.

I have tried many ways, explaining my point to her, being friendly with her, trying to have an open talk with her, cold treatment, answering back, but nothing worked, all I did was ignoring her .

7. marulamuniya

marulamuniya Gold IL'ite

This is something I always wonder about. How can we convince elders (particularly ILs) that it is our responsibility to bring up our 'son' to adjust to the next generation needs. I am talking about 'son' here because, the above complaint wouldn't be there otherwise I guess.

Has anyone tried to convince them not to interfere too much in this matter. If so please post your tips.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  8. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Blessed, you are one great soul on IL and an inspiration for me. I don't think I can be as kind and forgiving as you. Could you ever figure out why your Mil was like how she was?

9. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Marulamuniya,
    As a parent, I think it's my duty to teach my child (son or daughter) to be self sufficient. I always cook for my son but once in a while I leave it to him. (Sometimes I purposefully even want to ask him to cook something for me so that he develops a habit of caring about others so that in the future he can be a caring husband and father). I don't really think my MIL's concern is about my son, all she is concerned about is herself. if she was concerned about him, wouldn't she offer to cook something for him in my absence. She has only used him as an excuse to backbite against me.

1 person likes this.
  10. arty2010

arty2010 Bronze IL'ite

In your own words monita you have rightly stated she is only concerned about herself. Which is true to most mil i think. If they were really concerned about their sons and grandkids they would not create so many issues. I know its very tough to hear it daily
    I would say just think of it as a signs of a senile person if possible. After few yrs of marriage, now i dont care what she says or thinks behind my back but atleast she does not say anything like that to me or my husband. Thats because my husband knows how much i have put up with. And i dont really care if she complains to my dh itself i have told him to just take iall the negativity all by himself and keep me out of it :)) its his mother let him suffer :))... sometimes, ignorance is bliss :)... jsut get out of the house or do something which will distract you from her.

1 person likes this.