1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on how women dress. What's inappropriate versus appropriate?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Loving2011, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Loving2011

Loving2011 Silver IL'ite

The rape thread inspired me to wonder what the current views are on a woman's dress in Indian society. What's considered indecent? Are Indian women still encouraged to cover all over? Back in the 90's when I was a teenager, an Indian-American girl wearing a tank top or a spaghetti strap shirt was frowned upon. Now these days, it's not a big deal. You see Indian fancy saris and lenghas that are spaghetti-strap and halter -type style. Even some saris have a bra-like top to them.

I think there's a big difference to looking sexy and looking too revealing. I think it's okay for a woman to wear things that flatter her curves, but I wouldn't wear something that shows too much or is about to get me in trouble with the law. The occasion also sets the tone, such as whether you're going to a party, the temple or work.

My idea of "too revealing" would be this:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/12/article-0-139188B5000005DC-967_634x878.jpg

My idea of sensual and classy is this:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/380541_434199489952387_1652150041_n.jpg

If one chooses to dress modestly and isn't into skirts/heels, that's fine too. I think we all have the right to dress as we please, as long as we aren't violating any rules (like a woman coming out of the house topless!)

2. letsknow

letsknow Silver IL'ite

It all will depend on the place , occasion etc. One just have too apply some common sense. You go to a temple wear something conservative , you go on a vacation to an exotic place then loosen up and get trendy with whatever one feels comfortable. Also its important to wear what one feels comfortable and that they can carry on really well.

4 people like this.
  3. LifeIsAMystery

LifeIsAMystery New IL'ite

I agree with Lets know

It all depends on the occasion. Also it depends on the surrounding atmosphere as well. In cosmopolitan cities e.g Mumbai ( especially in South Mumbai), its very common that girls wear sexy outfits to colleges like shorts and minis. But the same outfits can't be worn say north side of Mumbai or say in semi-urbal places.

2 people like this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I believe in freedom of the individual. Having said that, it would be plain common sense to dress according to the surroundings one is in. As they say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". So long as one does not draw unwanted attention to oneself, it is fine. (Unfortunately though, unwanted attention is just that "unwanted" - it does not always have to do with what one wears).

These days we see Western women visiting India and going that extra mile to dress in Indian clothes. It is plain common sense. It would be amount to taking unwarranted risks to try to wear tank tops and ultra short shorts and walk around in a conservative area.

3 people like this.
  5. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

I totally agree with you all.

I think most men, well, real gentlemen are attracted to women who dress simple and decent. No need to go crazy wearing 5 inch red heels with skinny jeans.

As far as rape is concerned, rape is a crime. Even if a woman is walking down the street wearing nothing at all, it is still illegal and criminal and cruel to rape that woman. Politicians need to stop blaming the victim!

6. Loving2011

Loving2011 Silver IL'ite

Zipzoomzoom-The men I know, who I would consider gentlemen, do find women that wear tight clothing and heels very attractive. Men are visual and like to admire curves.

I personally don't like to wear baggy clothes, but that's me. The perfect outfit to me is form-fitting and flatters your curves, but it balances both elegance and sexiness in a decent way. I don't think that the words sexy and sensual are indecent, as some people would like to believe.

This website sells a lot of dresses that fit that balance of sexy, figure-flattering, yet decent.

Vintage Clothing, Cute Dresses, Indie & Retro Women's Clothing | ModCloth

7. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Appropriate or inappropriate clothes depends highly on the person and how he/she wears them.

Some might look decent even when they are wearing tank top and shorts and some can even look vulgar wearing a saree. It's how well we carry ourselves that matters at the end of the day. As long as you feel decent and comfortable wearing a particular clothes, the same feelings would be vibrated on people surrounding you as well.

8. nithyabhaskar

nithyabhaskar Gold IL'ite

Nice thread to take part.

I agree with many of the posts above. It depends on the person how you look at a girl or woman.Its the whole responsibility of self individual as how to dress. Even if you wear a saree completely packed, people will stare at you in negative manner. Beauty is not only the quality required to attract the look. There are many other things.

One should think and decide as how to dress in a society. A girl can wear nothing in her house but to go out in a society she should have min commonsense.

If you wear a salwar in an Indian city, its common. but when you go in a village(Not all villages) they might think its awkward as they wear half sarees and sarees. so we cant blame anyone. its our society. so we have to see and ignore if its not affecting anyone.

Cheers
    Nithya

9. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

Then you ought to introduce me to them :)

Me too!

In my case, I avoid exposing my whole arm unless its a Heat Wave outside - I stick with 3/4 arm length sleeves.
    And I always wear trousers rather than dresses or skirts.

10. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I personally wear mostly salwar kameez, but I do not see any problem with jeans and such to a point, if a person is roaming around showing chests and thighs I feel it is not good. I know some ladies who wear skimpy clothes and then complain when people stare at them which doesn't make sense if you dress in small skin tight clothes it will get unwanted attention. If women have self-respect they wont feel the need to get attention by showing off their boobs and legs. Just my opinion